MOT rule change.

DonPeffers

Correction  as found https://www.caradvice.com.au/817278/vfacts-2019-new-car-sales-results/#:~:text=Australia's 2019 new car sales,90%2C000 fewer than 2018's tally.

showing in Australia in 2019 French new cars sales were 11,479,  split Renault 8,634,  Citroen 400 and Peugeot 2,445.

Still not many about.

7 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I dont think that would work. We recently went to look at a 2009 Peugeot 107 for my daughter. It only had 9000 miles on it. The body and interior were immaculate but the brakes were a corroded mess and all the rubber items were perishing. The suspension felt like it had done 10x the mileage.

Extreme case but if you had a 10k interval that would have never had an mot. 

Easy solved by having some kind of a due date.  e.g. cambelts are mileage OR date related, whichever comes first  . 

Common sense says 10 years without some kind of safety check isnt good , but who uses common sense these days  .

17 minutes ago, pistonbroke said:

but who uses common sense these days  .

I agree. And thats why we need the 12 month test imo.

1 minute ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Not my livelihood, just my opinion thats all.

Soz got you mixed up with another Steve , but in any event have you not considered 12 months could be too long in some very high mileage cases .

Yeah i suppose so. But a rep mobile doing 30000 motorway miles probably has the same or less wear and tear on brakes, suspension  than a city car doing 8k a year (tyres excepted). And if its being maintained will have had 1 or 2 service visits vs the lower mileage car that won't have had any.

I can see pros and cons in both ways of determining mot Intervals but on balance I reckon the 12 months is best.

Maybe one of the mot testers on here could pass on their opinion?

23 hours ago, Jonk179 said:

I run a garage with MOT testing station and would recommend that if you MOT test runs out next week find somewhere to test it as in 6 months there will be a backlog.

When are you starting doing mot’s again John

We test 2250 ish vehicles a year. Most failures are due to lack of regular maintenance, lights, tyres etc. I would certainly support more regular testing and a more stringent test and that is in no way based on gaining a greater income. Too many people think that an an MOT test is a clean bill of health. It is the basic minimum standard of roadworthyness.

Hi Jim, we are starting testing at the beginning of August. Do you need a test? If so can get you in before that if need be.

Quite happy with the current mot system.   I think people are in the habit now of this yearly enforced safety check and would simply not bother otherwise.  Mot’s at a decent garage are very good.    Now vehicle tax needs a shake up.   Personally I think that should be entirely on fuel.   Based on a Westfield which has done about £200 miles this year and a camper which has done less...  at least Sorning and taxing is online..   not the old days of standing in a post office que only to be told gleefully that a complete insurance policy is not a certificate of insurance... 

• Like 1

Mine was due 5 weeks ago, I had it done last week, passed first time as usual.

Q plates rule :t-up:😀:yellow-westy:

11 hours ago, Jonk179 said:

Hi Jim, we are starting testing at the beginning of August. Do you need a test? If so can get you in before that if need be.

Hi John, Mines been extended till November but I would rather do it ASAP, but I’ll wait until you are back up and running. 
Thanks for the offer though !!

On 30/06/2020 at 21:53, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Yeah i suppose so. But a rep mobile doing 30000 motorway miles probably has the same or less wear and tear on brakes, suspension  than a city car doing 8k a year (tyres excepted). And if its being maintained will have had 1 or 2 service visits vs the lower mileage car that won't have had any.

I can see pros and cons in both ways of determining mot Intervals but on balance I reckon the 12 months is best.

Maybe one of the mot testers on here could pass on their opinion?

I used to do over 40,000 miles per year in company cars , and very little of it was motorways , we had service contracts with main dealers but they were a joke , never had any problems until the warranty expired , then suddenly it was open season on items like brake linings wheel bearings etc. at every service . I'm sure the mechanics were doing "foreigners " and booking the parts out to fleet cars .