Kristian

Front Vibration

DonPeffers
51 minutes ago, MR.C said:

Hi, Kristian,

I know this is not the problem your having.But I have a very similar spec car to yours.

And ive noticed the  Zetec engine has a vibration zone around 2,250rpm till maybe 2,400rpm.🙃

My zetec engine had a vibration at 2500 rpm which was from a cracked alternator mount.

The crack was fixed by welding.

Kristian
11 hours ago, AdamR said:

Given the HiSpec hubs I've seen and measured (4, all of them had that issue), and the video the OP posted (which shows the issue), I'd say close to 100%!

I ended up machining my HiSpec ones down a smidge on the disc and wheel mating faces to square them off, having centred the hub on the bearing races in my lathe.

@AdamR

Did you also have vibration and how did it go?

Kristian
14 hours ago, AdamR said:

How much deviation is there in the other front hub? And both the rear hubs?

As an aside, I am also very particular with my car and all 4 of my wheels have more than the 0.7mm run-out you have. It doesn't bother me, so your issue might be elsewhere. Very hard to track these things down without being in the car but as you can see there is a wealth of knowledge and help here, hopefully with your tenacity we can help to get it sorted!

@AdamR Both sides has a run out 0,13-0,14 mm. 
Could it all be resonance related from engine and hubs?

Kristian

One more thing to take into account. I have had my discs remachined, they are now proven straight. Then when mounted on the hub and checked with dial indicator it shows 0,18 mm run out. I'm beginning to believe that the hub is the root cause. Lets see what my mechanic finds out today. I gave him hub, disc bearings and stud.

AdamR
49 minutes ago, Kristian said:

@AdamR

Did you also have vibration and how did it go?

I don't have vibration.

• Like 1

Kristian

I read your post as you had experienced that your hubs had errors. It wasn't yours, I see :)

AdamR

All of the HiSpec hubs I had contact with when building my car had errors, but I fixed two of them to put on my car, and the other two were given to someone else who did the same.

In my years of working on cars, sometimes (too often?) I have found that you just need to take these things into your own hands, because many companies can't be trusted to get things right. You can see from the links below how long it took HiSpec to send me a replacement hub, which turned out to be worse than the one they were replacing anyway! :bangshead:

On the note of your vibration, if you drive in one gear to the speed of vibration, then change gear but remain at the same speed, that will rule out if it's the engine or not.

I know your brake discs are now very true, but bolting them to a wonky hub will make them deviate. The guy who sorted them out should be able to do your hubs.

(To get these links to work, you'll need to click the dates: "January 14, 2019" and "February 26, 2019")

And the post where I corrected them. Looks like it was actually 5 wonky hubs I had contact with!

• Like 2

Kristian

My mechanic reports back that the surface can be straighten. It has a runout of 0,12 mm. Almost the same as my dial indicator. Good to know I'm not completely lost.
However, he do not wont to do anything in the center because the whole set up is based on a cone that will self center. Any thoughts on that statment.

They also saw that the disc got a run out when mounted to the hubs.

Some of you did mentioned that I'm perhaps looking at the wrong place. Can runned out hubs together with suspension bushes create resonance vibration if bushes mounted wrong, i.e  torqued up before lowering the car?

• Like 1

AdamR

No, torquing the bushes in this way won't do anything in terms of vibration.

Your mechanic should be mounting the hub into the lathe using the bearing races and / or bearings, to ensure the hub faces (disc and wheel) spin correctly on the axis of the bearings - you don't need to machine the bearing seats.

He will need to machine both the disc mounting face and wheel mounting face, if you are to be sure everything has been done properly and ruled out.

EBD Engineering

ive never been able to understand how they get that much runout in the machined parts. if there set up correctly there should be no runout error what so ever

• Like 2

Kristian

Bad news. My mechanic states that the bearing seat is out of order not the surfaces against each other, if that makes sense for you.

So when measuring surfaces all is good but when mounted on the axle it runs out. I need to address this to Siltech. Worried about me getting stuck.

AdamR
1 hour ago, EBD Engineering said:

ive never been able to understand how they get that much runout in the machined parts. if there set up correctly there should be no runout error what so ever

Indeed. Not set up correctly = lack of operator care... you can have the best training and equipment, but if the guy doing the job is snoozing or just can't be bothered you'll get a crap result! 

Kristian, at the risk of sounding obvious, that is exactly what the problem is. So, if he clamps the hub by the bearing surfaces (photos in the link I sent), then machines the hub to make the disc and wheel mounting faces parallel to the bearing surfaces, it's fixed.

You could do it the other way round (hold the mounting faces and machine the bearing seats), but then the bearings won't fit obviously... hence the solution I have proposed and successfully done in the past.

By all means try contacting Siltech, but I am quite sure fixing it yourself will be less stress, time and cost...

Kristian

If the hub isn't machined in one go and same angles and settings there is almost impossible to achieve flat surfaces against each other.

My local machinist did not want to try to fix them. Did not have the time and equipment for it.

I have to give Siltech the opportunity to fix it. It will cost 100£ round trip back to me. Hoping we can split the freight cost.

AdamR
20 minutes ago, Kristian said:

If the hub isn't machined in one go and same angles and settings there is almost impossible to achieve flat surfaces against each other

The hub cannot be machined in one go - it has to be re-clamped at least once during the manufacturing process.

The problem comes when the hub is re-clamped for second machining, a lazy operator has put it back in the chuck without making sure it is square.

As I said, and showed, I have successfully fixed this problem with my own hands, the hubs are on my car, and the wheels don't vibrate!

I would suggest finding another machinist... I am not a trained machine operator. It really isn't a difficult job.

Kristian
6 minutes ago, AdamR said:

As I said, and showed, I have successfully fixed this problem with my own hands, the hubs are on my car, and the wheels don't vibrate! I am not a trained machine operator. It really isn't a difficult job.

Will I find "how to" in the two links you sent?