We shall fight those coronaviruses.

DonPeffers

1 hour ago, Mole said:

Not every employer is ideal in safety terms and many workplaces are non-unionised so little in terms of an effective voice. 

I just read the above.. how can you make such a one sided statement..clearly not factual..

Many non unionised offices have better more effective voices than the unionised offices I have seen!

Just had to pont that out..

Otherwise do carry on...

The ACAS website has some useful information here, unionised workplace or not they seem to be very sensible and of course where there is applicable law, they say so.

https://www.acas.org.uk/working-from-home

For me, this is key:

By law, employers are responsible for the health and safety of all employees, including those working from home.

Not much room there for negligence should an employee or group of employees contract Covid-19 at work, assuming it can be proved it was contracted at work...

I reckon there are a couple of bosses of Welsh meat processing factories that could be facing serious sanction...

Don't get me started on anti-vaxxers. It is idiocy in the extreme.

But being an idiot is not against any laws we have, and that includes the laws of natural selection...

Indeed! Where is Darwin when you need him? 

I used to work in big pharma, should make that clear, but the big pharma conspiracy theory has me rolling about laughing.  I can see them sitting in the boardroom:

Jim – “I have a plan to make lots more money”

Jim’s Boss – “How?”

Jim – “Well, you know all of those older people that use most of the trillions of dollars a year of our stuff, diabetics, heart patients, arthritics, etc. the ones that medicate every day, the ones in the revolving door to their GP or A&E …”

Jim’s Boss – “Yes”

Jim – “Well, we cause a pandemic that kills millions of them, mostly our biggest customers, the ones that rely on our products daily, then we sell whoever is left a vaccine that they can get once a year”

Jim’s Boss – “Run that by me again… “

🙄

• Like 2

On 16/07/2020 at 17:58, jim_l said:
8 hours ago, Mole said:

Not every employer is ideal in safety terms and many workplaces are non-unionised so little in terms of an effective voice. 

I just read the above.. how can you make such a one sided statement..clearly not factual..

If you make the case for offices then factories are the same aren’t, they, infinitely variable in the risk and what makes sense in managing it.  If them, what what next?

Just to clarify Mole my statement 'not every employer is ideal' clearly leaves room  for some, possibly many, who are ideal and is not one-sided.

Happy to agree that some workplaces do treat workers well without being unionised and my statement does nothing to rule that out.

"Unions slam British Gas-owner's 'fire and rehire'plan: 20,000 staff told to accept new working conditions or risk losing their jobs"    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-8531207/Unions-slam-British-Gas-owner-Centricas-fire-rehireplan.html

I reckon the plan would be acceptable if the alteration was time-limited to get over the covid crisis BUT NO as is apparently to be a permanent contract change with threat of adding to already 5000 redundancies if not accepted. New contract means no enhancement for overtime pay and other alterations.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boohoo-leicester-factories-modern-slavery-boohoo-leicester-factories-modern-slavery-investigation-a9602086.html   "Boohoo ‘facing modern slavery investigation’ after report finds Leicester workers paid as little as £3.50 an hour"

Andrew Bridgen MP stated the existence of the factories had been an open secret for years. It seems nothing was done for fear of upsetting cultural sensitivities. The factories continued working apparently during the first lockdown and Leicester's recent local lockdown and could have contributed to covid spread.

50% flu vaccine effectiveness aged 2-17 does not correlate directly to 50% less flu cases in grandparents.

PM today announcing workers can return to work from 01 August.

When Sir Patrick Vallance yesterday gave evidence to Commons Science select committee he wore a face mask to enter the room but as everyone was seated over 2 mtrs apart he suggested it was ok to take off his mask. The face mask in a workplace could be for when 2 mtrs distancing cannot be maintained. Offices will need to stagger shifts and limit workers at a given time as clearly cannot double their floor space to allow distancing.

At select committee Greg Clark MP asked Sir PV if 350,000 covid tests per day would be ready for the Winter season and after what seemed like a slight delay the answer was yes.

Let's hope the test figures are reliable.  https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-government-overstated-number-of-people-tested-by-up-to-200-000-12025912

Ok..the one sided bit I referred to was how it read as an obvious slant against a non unionised environment..and that was not factual from my experience..

The rest of the words..over to you..

As I said that was all that irked me..

Have a nice day and keep away from that virus!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly more fighting in the time of covid yesterday in Edinburgh.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/police-race-meadows-edinburgh-after-22451569   and  https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/gallery/pictures-police-race-portobello-beach-18697724

Police race to Portobello beach after 'large-scale disturbance' at rammed beauty spot. 

Also Police race to The Meadows in Edinburgh after 'mass brawl' breaks out.

0_PA-54812772.jpg

1_Screen-Shot-2020-07-31-at-213331.png

Yet more irrationality.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12265093/coronavirus-uk-news-live-latest-updates/

TODAY, 11:48  "BERLIN: PROTESTERS MARCH AGAINST CORONAVIRUS RESTRICTIONS IN GERMAN CAPITAL".

"Protesters against coronavirus restrictions have gathered in Berlin for a demonstration titled The end of the pandemic freedom day".

NINTCHDBPICT000599474065.jpg?strip=all&w

Not so good in Australia apparently

fsxaJba.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yet more irrationality.

11 aug 2020  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8611849/Moment-megaphone-wielding-anti-mask-activists-storm-Morrisons-shouting-resist-new-world-order.html   anti-mask activists storm Morrisons and demand shoppers 'resist the new world order' and take off their face-coverings.

Also people gathered to listen to speakers at a July protest organised by 'Keep Britain Free' which is against the wearing of masks.

31781952-8611849-image-a-63_159707335167

IIRC Belarus is fine with no mask wearing so maybe protestors could go there.

North Korea had one case - and they shot him! Safe as houses - Italian houses... (for the younger members, in the 1960s Italian buildings fell down with monotonous regularity, and not just bridges. Bridges take a bit longer).