to willwood 285mm disc's and calipers,

And the performance difference ?

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
16 hours ago, MR.C said:

Just wondering has anyone upgraded from standard 244/5

mm disc@s and hi spec calipers,

to willwood 285mm disc's and calipers,

And the performance difference ?

May help if you explain your intended use etc. What is wrong with the current set up? What pads are you running. You don't need huge brakes on our little, light cars and the more unsprung weigh you have, the ride suffers etc. Same reason 16" wheels and larger don't work well on Westfields etc.

• Like 1

harrypotter

Notwithstanding the previous post, I assume the braking efficiency will be improved. Fronts and rears will need to be carefully balanced though.

• Like 1

MR.C

When I first got the car the braking was pretty abismal,so I bled (new fluid not air)the system which improved it no end.

And I think it is sort of what I expect now.which is very good at say 40mph down to 10 or even 0, but 70 or 80 

down to 30 is not so inspiring.😉

The car is just being used on the road so far 😁

the stoat

Before throwing money at I would try the easier fixes.  Are you sure there is an issue, without wanting to sound like an A*** 😀, are you sure the pedal is being pressed hard enough?  It is a shock to the system moving from servo assisted to a Westfield.

Pads make a huge difference to feel, I use track focused pads as I am too lazy to swap them over.  They feel a bit rubbish when cold and therefore I think the performance is not great.  While if I look at the data from a data logger they deceleration is just fine.

One last thing how stiff is your suspension? I have driven a friend's car, which in my view is way too stiff, and I am sure the braking performance is reduce as it tends to skip over bumps.

• Like 2

MR.C

Thanks,

Yeah it's a shock from modern brakes.(but I've taken that into account) ☺️

The pads are track day pads it came with,I have some brembo road car pads waiting

for new discs with protective coating when it becomes available again.I understand they come from a Corrina MK4 ,but looking at the calipers they

must be a close fit being 3 mm bigger than standard.😱 The Mk2 look the same external dia.but are slightly different hub dia.!

The suspension in my opinion is too hard and I'm going to get some softer springs but that's for another day!

Andy.

Andrzej

244mm solid disc are fine in terms of dimmensions and heat , tested on track with many brakings (car witm me 700 kg), no problem, to block the tyre with warm slick even at the end of the session, no fading.  
There was other possible issue regarding HiSpec calipers and not modyfied pads in them , look for AdamR's posts in this subcject. Shortly - the pads had a tendency to work diagonaly, so the pistons work diagonaly. The solution is cutting the pads so cylinders fits in the centre of pad's working material.

Try to find his advice here on forum, worth consider, and look at the pads if there is even thickness of pads , not thinner closer co centre of the wheel.

• Like 1

MR.C

Westfield's are all about messing right?

Can anyone tell me if cortina and westfield uprights are identical in measurements?

Or better still will Cortina upgraded brakes (vented) fit on westfield uprights with no clearance issues ,as in inner braking face to uprights ? (not rim size related)

Ive seen some cortina  brakes online and was wondering if the offset i.e. inner disc face to upright clearance is the same on vented disc

as solid?🙂

pistonbroke

If youv'e recently passed  the MOT that suggests the brakes must be OK  .

Try slamming  the brakes on , you should be able to lock the wheels up , If not your either not pressing the pedal hard enough or there is a fault somewhere , dont try it on a main road .

I swapped my pads from green stuff to Ferodo's , found them to be a big improvement for road use as the green stuff are designed to work better when hot (less fade ) which doesnt happen much with road use . 

MR.C

Thanks  brakes are ok, i just want better brakes.

Would be nice if i could find some answers though to help me see what fits/i can use.

fil46

coming from a full race westy with 4 pot 244 vented 4 pot midilites  and 13 inch mb mags a few years ago. I found my new car was like a truck   just done my up grade, this will stop the fastest of westys imo and no fade,  260x20 mm  vented cross drilled and groved rally design upgrade with willwood midilite 4  pots and  mintex pads, fit's under a 13 wheel et23 with a 3mm spacer job done, I have also gone from 7 x 15 wheels with 195 50 15 tyres  all round to 7x13 et 0. 205 60 13 tyres on the rear and a 6 x 13 et 23 185 60 13 front. in doing so have saved 4.5 kg in weight from the front wheels and 3.5kg off the rear that should sharpen her up a bit   test drive this weekend  weather permitting.

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2507 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

• Like 2

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO
14 hours ago, MR.C said:

Can anyone tell me if cortina and westfield uprights are identical in measurements?

Yes

edit - in terms of fitment and geometry. Mounting of wing stays will be different 

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO
1 hour ago, MR.C said:

Nice brakes fil46.

Thanks Chris but I was wondering if brake kits ( mainly vented discs) for cortina MK3 up 

would foul the Westfield uprights as the single disc has only a small clearance.

https://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-category/brakes/brake-kits/ford-cortina-mk3-mk4-mk5-brake-kits.html?p=2

Would these fit ok?

Thanks.

Honestly - I can’t say. But if they fit the mk3/4/5  cortina then they should fit the Westfield uprights. But at that diameter not sure what wheels they fit under?

MR.C

says 15",but i'm more interested if they will fit the uprights?

I dont want to buy the kit,bolt the disc to the hub then find out they 

foul the uprights!