Home made AA composites style screen

Aeruttle

As above I’m about to take the grinder to my very costly uprights in a moment of madness. 

Can anyone recommend a shop where I can get a Perspex screen cut to a template including polishing to edges? 

Photo of my plan below

cheers al

8307F476-1DEE-45C2-BA7C-9F0DD626B0DB.jpeg

75A831FF-931B-4430-990C-EF6325B96078.jpeg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aeruttle

• SootySport

• Mark (smokey mow)

• TableLeg

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit more progress. Just the fillet to fit now!

Screen cut and edges sanded. Looking ok so far.

Finished photos

Posted Images

Mark (smokey mow)

I’d look at using polycarbonate for the screen rather than Perspex. It’s less brittle and prone to cracking.

Aeruttle
22 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

I’d look at using polycarbonate for the screen rather than Perspex. It’s less brittle and prone to cracking.

Sorry that’s what I meant 

Mark (smokey mow)

I had a batch of polycarbonate screens cut last year and used laser cutting. The edges didn’t need polishing afterwards but I do use a fine wet and dry just to take the corners off.

I use cutting technologies for laser but they do have a minimum order charge of £150. There’s also a few companies that advertise on eBay that do small batches and one off cutting.

• Thanks 1
TableLeg

Poly carbonate can also be easily cut by waterjet.

You'd need to check if the supplier of the material is able to cut non linear lines.

If not, buy the material and take it somewhere.

Aeruttle
1 hour ago, TableLeg said:

Poly carbonate can also be easily cut by waterjet.

You'd need to check if the supplier of the material is able to cut non linear lines.

If not, buy the material and take it somewhere.

There is a water jet place just round the corner from me. Didn’t even think of that. Cheers 

Mighty Mart

Excuse my ignorance, but whats the advantage over removing the windscreen and pillars and fitting an aeroscreen - surely a better bet with the option of putting the screen back on at a later date or when selling?

Mart.

Aeruttle

Mart, 

Aeroscreens are not for all people however  significantly reduce wind resistance as well as giving a better driving experience (not shared by all). Obviously all weather dependant and whether you don’t mind wearing a helmet for road runs or, if you are brave enough to not wear a helmet.

my plan was to have a second pair of uprights which i can switch over in 10mins without having the drawback of drilling more holes in the scuttle.

i have done a track day with the windscreen removed but I found at high speeds my helmet was getting blown around in the wind. You just need something to direct the wind above your head.

• Like 1
Mighty Mart

Are, so have another pair of uprights to windscreen swop when required....makes perfect sense now mate.:yes:

Mart.

• Like 1
SootySport

This ideà crossed my mind .   How will you finish the tops of the uprights when finished?

Aeruttle
6 hours ago, SootySport said:

This ideà crossed my mind .   How will you finish the tops of the uprights when finished?

I’ve no idea😂. I’m going to buy 8mm polycarbonate however the channel in the upright is around 15-20mm. I may therefore  need to use some sort of plastic packers. I was planning on filing the uprights, packer and screen all to the same curve to avoid any sharp areas 

SootySport

To pack out the screen channel in the pillars use offcuts of the screen. Cut two strips, one for each side and bond with clear glue to the screen vertical edges. The bottom grub screws will hold it tight.  When you chop the tops off the pillars I guess you'll think of something, maybe just painting will look ok.

At the moment I have the AA composite screen and it works well but eventually the fibreglass small uprights will crack up and I'll need another solution.

Aeruttle

Cheers for the advice sooty. I never knew the AA ones were fibreglass. I’ll keep you posted on progress. I’ve got a track day in August in which I hope to debut 

KenP

We use polycarbonate at work and find it's best to always use a separate set of drill bits and cutting blades for working with polycarbonate.  Any small amount of contamination from oils or cutting compounds used on previous jobs can cause small cracks to develop around drilled or tapped holes and cut edges.

• 2 weeks later...
Aeruttle

Update. Tonight I made the template for the aeroscreen out of some thin board.

I copied the curve of the scuttle on to template however the screen has come out quite high due to the cutline limitations on the uprights.

Next step is taking the angle grinder to the uprights 🙈 

al

33283FC7-2B43-4B6D-9A5A-3A9979E0029E.jpeg

38F74AB7-8B4F-47F5-9B15-A58365909003.jpeg

2EF5E165-A167-413A-8B48-A48306879BE9.jpeg

• Like 1