Ortekk

XI with an R1 bike engine

MK11
On 04/08/2020 at 16:15, Ortekk said:

It feels like it would understeer like an Vauxhall Vectra VXR...

When I had my XI on a handling circuit it was the best fun I have ever had.  On the hard skinny 155 tyres fitted to wire wheels it was proper fun.

On my car the front end was very pointy, unless I was really pressing on, it went exactly where I wanted.  If I pressed on a bit harder then you went into proper old school 4 wheel drift steering on the throttle.

I miss that car soo much. It ended up in Finland and I bought an Ultima GTR.  Unfortunately, faster did not equate to more fun so I sold it again.

• Like 3

robhume
23 hours ago, Ortekk said:

Seems like I won't gain anything from going wider then, good to know! Lets hope I find a decent rear axle :)

How is the clearance at the front with 185 tires? Will I need to limit steering further going that wide, or is there enough room?
175 are difficult to find and 185 are cheaper for me. 

As for the spring rates, I will do proper calculations once I get to weigh the car. I'm looking forward to see the weight distribution, BEC and LHD usually don't mix that well, hoping that putting everything I can to the right of the chassis will make enough of a difference.

Regarding your question about front clearance with 185 tyres.  I used hose clips on the steering rack for the "stops" either side as I could adjust

the position to suit. My car is not road registered and have not found a problem with clearance on track, even with a tight hairpin bend but, generally the turning circle is pain. I'm sure the other chaps who have road registered XIs will give their experience.

Ortekk
15 hours ago, MK11 said:

When I had my XI on a handling circuit it was the best fun I have ever had.  On the hard skinny 155 tyres fitted to wire wheels it was proper fun.

On my car the front end was very pointy, unless I was really pressing on, it went exactly where I wanted.  If I pressed on a bit harder then you went into proper old school 4 wheel drift steering on the throttle.

I miss that car soo much. It ended up in Finland and I bought an Ultima GTR.  Unfortunately, faster did not equate to more fun so I sold it again.

Where you running vintage racing tires? Pretty hard to find narrower tires than 175 that isn't OEM fuel efficient tires or a random chinese tire.

I became interested in the XI after seeing the Lotus 11 and 15s sliding around at Goodwood, sounds like I'm building the right car when the XI is similar :)

9 minutes ago, robhume said:

Regarding your question about front clearance with 185 tyres.  I used hose clips on the steering rack for the "stops" either side as I could adjust

the position to suit. My car is not road registered and have not found a problem with clearance on track, even with a tight hairpin bend but, generally the turning circle is pain. I'm sure the other chaps who have road registered XIs will give their experience.

I've mounted hose clamps on my rack as well, Westfield supplied two cut pipes that was too small to fit the steering rack...
Did you simply reduce the lock further?
I'll hear what my IVA guy says, but don't think it will be a problem with limited steering lock :)

AdamR
12 minutes ago, Ortekk said:

Pretty hard to find narrower tires than 175 that isn't OEM fuel efficient tires.

Nothing wrong with these btw. They are surprisingly good.

stephenh

When I built my XI (which I haven't got anymore) I did quite a bit of research into suitable tyres, and ended up putting Dunlop Street Response 2 tyres on. Plenty of grip for fun road driving, and even the occasional track day. IIRC I fitted 165/65x13" size. I had lock stops, which I had made out of polypropylene. The length of the stops was 5mm. less than the Westfield build manual recommends, and I had plenty of clearance both sides. Yes, the steering lock was aweful by modern standards, but still manageable.

For what it is worth, I also calculated that I would have sufficient clearance to fit Kumho V70 road legal trackday tyres if I ever wanted to do more serious track use in the car. I just need to check what size I worked out would fit, and I'll edit this post.

edited to add: Yes, it was 165/65x13" Dunlop Street Response 2 tyres. I can't find the info for the trackday alternative (which I never actually used in the end) but I suspect it was 175/60x13" which are unusual, but I think still available in medium/hard compound from Kumho or Nanking.