Knockhill August weekend

Terry Everall

Sadly the Knockhill weekend Aug Sprint is now cancelled

• Sad 1

It would seem that most clubs are finding it impossible to implement the possibly over complex requirements of MSUK.

I wonder if MSUK realise this?

do they give a toss they have your licience money already

If you can’t stay overnight or have toilets open how is any event possible at the moment ? 

• Like 1

More things occur to me every time I look at the documents.

Marshals, stewards etc are supposed to do their job with no contact to driver or vehicle. There are some limited exemptions for certain specific rescue crew.

However, if I’m marshalling at an event, and have instructions to on no account make physical contact with you, (let the medical staff etc do that), but circumstances dictate there’s not time for them to get to you, it’s me or nothing, I’m going to help.

Its only after the fact that I discover that because I disobeyed the regs, I’m now not covered by any insurance etc, and that while pulling the driver out may have saved them, it also inevitably caused Injury. Am I therefore now screwed, because I didn’t follow procedure?

There’s so much uncertainty and barely if at all workable requirements, it could lead to hesitation when there is absolutely no time for it.

Very disappointed, this was a cracking event last year.

By my calculations that means there is only around 10 events that are left on the calendar that haven't been cancelled yet.

Getting more and more likely that this year is a wipe out 

It would be simpler for all participants to be tested for the virus and only allow them to participate if they prove negative

MSUK in their desire to be 'safe' are looking at the risk from the wrong point of view.

Their premise is that anyone may be infected, so no touching and contact is allowed.

In reality this morning's figures show 280 000 people are infected with the virus in the UK out of a population of 67 million, that's 0.4%. Clearly that figure is understated, by how much is unknown, but say 5 times. Which means that over the country maybe 2% of people are infected. But of those 2%, most will be isolated. So I think there is little chance of meeting someone with the virus.

Can MSUK not be persuaded to reassess the risk on the above thinking?

Thats an interesting idea John but due to the time to test and get results we would all have to arrive about 3 days before the event ( drivers, marshals, support staff, circuit staff etc ) and be locked into the circuit all the time with nobody leaving or entering.

And unfortunately, it seems that some people can be infected but not test positive in the early stages of the infection. The fear then is that they can nevertheless still potentially pass on the virus to someone else.

Also, whilst I cannot disagree with Richard's argument from a mathematical point of view, then why are over 1500 people showing up as new infections on tests each day, even now after 10 weeks of lockdown? And bearing in mind that they think that the actual number of new infections is something of the order of 4 times those who have a positive test (because something like 75% of people will not have a test as they either wont have symptoms or their symptoms are so relatively mild that they don't both to book a test) where on earth are these people, perhaps as many as 6,000 or 7,000 each day, catching the virus? I don't know the answer, but the question is one that I find quite frightening.

I think that there are a lot of problems which are due to government rules ( unless your name is Dominic). At the moment you cant drive to Scotland, B&B or hotels are not open to accommodate officials, food is not readily available, camper vans cant be used and all circuits I know of are not allowing overnight stays plus some of the marshals, scrutineers etc are concerned about their health and the virus particularly if they are over 70 or at risk due to health condition such as diabetes or lung conditions.

unless your championship  is a round of  fia  and its exempt  [like f1 you can limit you team to 80 members per team .

• 3 weeks later...

My plan for 2020 was to circuit race plus a few Hill Climbs. Passed my ARDS in 2019, prepared the car and then along came Covid-19 which put a halt to all events.

But, unlike Hills and Sprints the Circuit Racing scene is about to restart. This month I completed a successful day of testing at Castle Combe, pre-race testing is scheduled for 2 July and my first race is Saturday 4 July.

The championship will have 8 rounds (4 double headers) so is all go. Big Formula Ford events are also still on at Brands Hatch and Silverstone. So after losing the first two months of my calendar it is now full speed ahead (forgive the pun!).

Castle Combe organisers have arrived at a set of rules and guidance, adhering to UK Government and Motorsport UK rules, to allow us to compete. So "where there's a will there is a way". Organisers, Marshalls, Scrutineers, Teams and Drivers are all keen to get out there and race!