The Flintstones mobile

Chris Brading

Hello People,

Driving the WF home yesterday very warm day on Toyo R1R tyres I ended up on a road that was not being resurfaced but was being used as a route for the road resurfacing lorries.
I stated picking up grit so badly that it was flying off the top of the front wheels into the air and dropping into the car at 15miles an hour.   In the end I found a lay-by and removed the grit and the  tyres reminded me of the flintstones car with stone wheels. Cleaned the car later and pretty much got away with no damage.  Is this something that has happened to you?

Yes. Whilst on the back roads of Ayrshire. The country road was being resurfaced and they'd left the layer of fine grit. I carried on very slowly thinking it couldn't be for long. Got 10 mins in and no end in sight and no turn offs. Thought about turning back but then thought cant go on forever, another 15 or 20 mins at crawl and I was clear.

I was still finding the little stones weeks later.

14 minutes ago, Chris Brading said:

Hello People,

Driving the WF home yesterday very warm day on Toyo R1R tyres I ended up on a road that was not being resurfaced but was being used as a route for the road resurfacing lorries.
I stated picking up grit so badly that it was flying off the top of the front wheels into the air and dropping into the car at 15miles an hour.   In the end I found a lay-by and removed the grit and the  tyres reminded me of the flintstones car with stone wheels. Cleaned the car later and pretty much got away with no damage.  Is this something that has happened to you?

R888R's are even worse!  I suspect they are sticky enough to unstick loose chippings that are partly stuck down!

My local council love badly redressing our roads and leave the road users to bed them in and spit them off. I see little evidence of them been adequately swept and it's evident by the piles of loose chippings in the non driven parts of the roads and all over the pavements. Some years ago, my wife's car suffered a cracked windscreen as a result of this, due to an oncoming vehicle driving to fast and flicked some up. The council ducked their responsibility and passed it onto the contractors they employee and badly supervise. We got no where, so it cost us for the glass excess etc.

8 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

The council ducked their responsibility and passed it onto the contractors they employee and badly supervise. We got no where,

One of the London boroughs tried that on me for something similar.

I explained that from my perspective the council are responsible for the roads in the first instance. If they want to pass it on to their contractors that's between them and the contractors not me. They accepted this and paid...

15 hours ago, Chris Brading said:

Hello People,

article-2017721-0D1DEF0400000578-126_634x375.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Blatman said:

Er, Nem..

them tyres are frickin' bald mate...

Those are my finest Slicks, and the chap at the tire sales place said that they are re-groovable, does anyone know what pressures I should run? 

On 04/06/2020 at 07:39, Nemesis said:

Those are my finest Slicks, and the chap at the tire sales place said that they are re-groovable, does anyone know what pressures I should run? 

about 3 1/2 tons each by the look of things :t-up: