My thoughts on 'big' power

Dommo

Fantastic article and thanks for the honesty! Certainly makes you think about the never ending quest for power... or is it speed.... or is it fun?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dommo said:

So I’m going to rebuild this one, with less power, and more revs, and less weight, and more noise

Knew the next thing I was going to see was "RX8" as soon as I read this sentence... 

Interesting read, but something I've suspected for a while. I've been saying to my friends, that I love my 1.6 mazda engine as it is right now. I didn't build it as a car for straight lines, it's for corners. Going through twisty roads around Europe, I was never lacking the power to safely overtake, or seriously craving more power. Maybe a different story when I get to take it on a track. When it feels like that's not enough, it'll get a supercharger, but only seeking 180bhp max.

If that ever dies, or feels like it's not enough, RX8 engine would be going in there. I reckon the character of those suits a car like this really well, although it'll take me many more years of Westie ownership to get to the point where I'm at the level on the "mere mortal" scale that can enjoy the amount of power one of those puts out! 

Great, balanced, informative write up, thanks!

I am perhaps a little "biased" but that 0.6s back to full boost sounds like an age. I've also spent considerable time in a couple of very advanced, modern turbo cars (a fair bit of that on track) and the lag does my head in from a "performance driving" point of view! The noises are cool though 😄

The new lump should suit the car well, and they seem to be reliable as long as they get regularly thrashed. Look forward to build updates!

What's the weight of the w**kel? What ecu will run it or can you get the oem one to work?

Sounds an interesting project :yes:

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

Great, balanced, informative write up, thanks!

I am perhaps a little "biased" but that 0.6s back to full boost sounds like an age. I've also spent considerable time in a couple of very advanced, modern turbo cars (a fair bit of that on track) and the lag does my head in from a "performance driving" point of view! The noises are cool though 😄

The new lump should suit the car well, and they seem to be reliable as long as they get regularly thrashed. Look forward to build updates!

It does include closing and opening the throttle again rather than foot down and full boost arriving 0.6s later...but you're right, if someone is more used to a "stabby" throttle then that's a sure way to show up more than an enthusiastic but not brutal gear change.

50 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

What's the weight of the w**kel? What ecu will run it or can you get the oem one to work?

Sounds an interesting project :yes:

I did weigh both engines in the same state of dress (well, very nearly). MX5 engine including alternator, loom, flywheel, clutch, manifolds, turbo, downpipe came in at a surprising 144.2kg. The RX8 engine in similar state but without exhaust manifold was 126.7kg, so all in probably 15kg lighter. They're not spectacularly light, distinctly average on that front. The weight is concentrated lower down and shorter in length than a 4 cylinder engine so I'm sure someone better than me could notice the weight distribution change!

I've got the RX-8 engine loom attached and unlike the MX5 loom it's quite a tidy affair. I think I'll probably reuse it which lends nicely to either the RX-8 ECU or a plug-and-play aftermarket effort.

• Like 1

How many times have we read "there's no such thing as too much power"? - well, I agree with @Dommo - huge power can be extremely entertaining, but it can sometimes change a car to the point where it's less enjoyable as a package.

I have a similar story....

I have a bit of a "thing" for the Fiat Coupe, especially in 20 valve turbo form. After my first relatively standard example (tweaked very slightly to 240bhp), my second and then third somehow fell onto the very slippery slope of chasing power. Thankfully, I also had the presence of mind (and hefty credit card limit...) to also put in lots of effort into the chassis, so at least it was capable of handling the power.

In the end, I temporarily broke the 500bhp barrier, before winding it back slightly to 488bhp (one more than a Ferrari F40!!). It is ballistically fast - 0-100 in 9 seconds, 0-150 in 19 seconds, or more impressively - 60-120 in 7.5 seconds! and on to something in the region of 190mph (it's geared for 205!)

However, the performance is difficult, if not impossible to enjoy anywhere on the public road - by the time I'm getting a buzz, I'm at speeds that would result in a custodial sentence if caught.

Basically, I've spoilt the car. It was great fun at 350-ish bhp, but I stupidly carried on.

Partly because of the inability to enjoy the full potential of the Fiat and partly because I wanted something I could tinker with (there's nothing left to do on the Fiat), I bought my Zetec-powered Westie. 170bhp is fine most of the time - I very rarely find myself wanting more power and I just make sure I drive on roads where 170bhp is more than adequate (ie the many enjoyable Peak District outings...)

One of the endearing factors about Westies (and their owners) is that no two are alike - each car is a reflection of its owner and is all the better for it. After only a couple of years of Westie ownership, I have realised that there is almost certainly a "sweet spot" for power, which results in a great blend of accessible performance and fun, without spending a small fortune to only be quicker along the straights (which as we all know, are only there to join the corners up...)

It will be interesting to see what rotary power is like in a Westie - I expect it will suit it well - watching with interest!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NigelO said:

One of the endearing factors about Westies (and their owners) is that no two are alike - each car is a reflection of its owner and is all the better for it.

After only a couple of years of Westie ownership, I have realised that there is almost certainly a "sweet spot" for power,

Brilliant! I share both of these sentiments.

Just have a new to me mega S2000, my 3rd Westie. Unfortunately only driven 30 miles back in January, but I hope is ideally suited to my intended use. 

Let’s hope it will have some use this year!

Keep safe everyone 

Andy

• Like 1

Let's not forget that these are Kitcars, and as such not all of them are bought, many are built.

Some people (myself included) enjoy the building as much, if not more than the driving. Being able to modify parts of the build, upgrade parts etc for many is part of the fun of owning such cars.

The fact that I opted to build mine with an engine uncatered for by Westfield for me was the challenge and a V8 was always going to produce lots of power and torque but for this build I wanted a V8.

I share your view on Turbo cars of this type though, my last build had a highly tuned Cosworth Sierra engine and when it came on boost it got lively. 50-100mph recorded at 3.2seconds!

• Like 2

Interesting...

What are the two temperatures on the graph..? And where were the sensors?

I knew you’d be on this topic @Mole

Whats your opinion? 😄

Russ...

Well like many have said before I think there is a sweet spot on a Westfield for power.. and maybe a naturally aspirated engine feels natural to me.. I think having 280 - 320 bhp would be a nice sweet spot... Especially for track use..

When you get yours back on track I look forward to seeing if that is correct!

What do you think..better with less?

12 minutes ago, Mole said:

Russ...

Well like many have said before I think there is a sweet spot on a Westfield for power.. and maybe a naturally aspirated engine feels natural to me.. I think having 280 - 320 bhp would be a nice sweet spot... Especially for track use..

When you get yours back on track I look forward to seeing if that is correct!

What do you think..better with less?

220-250, but I’m a better driver than you. 

Definitely more than 190. 

I reckon for trackdays the sweet spot is around 200bhp. Obviously for any competition, more is better. But, big power on trackdays will just see you blitz the straights, catch up something slow then have to trail round the twisties behind it .. you'll be catching slower cars more frequently and doing a lot of following..

Much better wringing the neck of 170bhp. 😉

Back to the OP. Rotary engines are usually pretty loud.. will need some serious silencing for trackdays?