Yorkshire_Pudding

Which Riv Nut tool

BugMan

Well that took some digging To find

And I would HIGHLY recommend this for rivetnut's

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rivnut-Rivetnut-Nutsert-Fitting-tool-M4-M5-M6-Kit-car-rivet-nut-special-insert/380904779400?epid=9004115146&hash=item58afb1ae88:g:NpEAAMXQxU9R-m~e

Don't bother with any other hand tool for this stuff, they are crap and the brake very easily, as i have been through 2 of the Sealy ones

BugMan

:westy:

• Like 1

corsechris

I was impressed with that design the last time it was posted. There’s just something about the Memfast type method that feels a wee bit off, although I have used one and it was fine, it just feels a bit wrong to rely on the thread of the rivnut to provide the crushing force by screwing into it. Not really sure why, it’s the turning and pulling at the same time I suppose - does that stress the thread more than just pulling on it??

Quinten
On 15/05/2020 at 20:03, Dan_G said:

I use a short arm Sealey AK3984.  Works well if you have straight acces.

I've just taken delivery of this one as I'd like to add a few nutserts in my chassis to aid body fixtures...   can anyone recommend an assortment of nutserts to use?  Should it be stainless steel or can they be a different material?   Bearing in mind they will go into the chassis (steel?).

corsechris

I’ve used zinc plated mild steel pretty extensively with good results. A few aluminium ones for odd jobs too - these can be good where the base material is weak.

A variation in styles too of course, countersunk, flanged, serrated etc.

• Like 1

Dan_G
On 29/06/2020 at 22:16, Quinten said:

I've just taken delivery of this one as I'd like to add a few nutserts in my chassis to aid body fixtures...   can anyone recommend an assortment of nutserts to use?  Should it be stainless steel or can they be a different material?   Bearing in mind they will go into the chassis (steel?).

Don't limit yourself to any 1 material or type, they all come in handy.

I use stainless in my chassis and aluminum sometimes on softer stuff. (eg dashboard fixings into fibreglass )

If you're worried about galvanic corrosion between stainless and mild steel chassis go for mild steel. 

• Like 1