dodgy email from "westfield"

Steve (sdh2903)

not strictly wscc related but as a lot on here are wsc customers.

I've just had an email which stated it was from 'Patrick Costello' and was replying to a genuine email conversation I was having with the parts dept a while ago. This also had an attachment to download on it.

The email address wasn't pats or the parts one and was just a random spammer.

I'm not computer-clever enough to know if this is an email issue with my emails or at the other end but keep your eyes open if you get any emails.

I've sent the parts dept a message but assume they won't be in til next week. 

• Like 2

I get those and also ones from Stuart Faulkner and Martin Van Zeller.

I just delete them straight away.

• Like 1

I've had spam before related to westfield (and other companies), but I've never had one replying to an actual email conversation before.

• Like 1

Yes sadly, it’s fairly easy to “spoof” any email address as being “from” any sender you care to mention. 

For me most, if not all, of these are caught by Gmail and chucked into spam. So I rarely see them. 

Golden rule, never open any attachment in any email unless you are 100% certain it is from who it “claims” to be from and, more importantly, you are actually expecting to receive it!

4 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I've had spam before related to westfield (and other companies), but I've never had one replying to an actual email conversation before.

That is unusual, but again not too difficult if an account has been compromised. 

I would strongly recommend that both you and @Patrick Costello Joint Black Country AO change your passwords for the email accounts referenced. 

• Like 1

Also... emails can often get intercepted as they fly though the ether. 

I had an email of mine sent to a client with an invoice attached copied and sent back to the client with “I’ve changed my bank account please pay new one...” type of thing. 

Luckily, he is a good payer and had already coughed up - but did ask me if I wanted future bills paid into my new account. 

So NEVER send passwords, confidential info, personal details via email. Ever. 

• Like 1

Just had another aswell. Same 'patrick costello' same subject but a different sender.

I've changed my password

• Like 1

I've had the same thing. Sent Patrick a message to let him know. It's not actually a direct reply to the legit email chain, but it has the full email history copied in as though it is. 

• Like 1

I've had a few sent with a name I know, but the address doesn't match. Deleted straight away. 

• Like 1

Apologies all, I've received a message from a member.

Password was changed yesterday, changing it again now.

Can anyone advise if emails have come from more than one email or is it solely mine?

Its not from your email pat. But is coming with your name as the sender. Ive had 3 from differing emails addresses.

These are replying to 2 different genuine email trails I've had with you or Jason over the past 2 years.

• Like 1

I've got the team members to change all passwords.

We will run malware scans on all computers.

• Like 3

@Patrick Costello Joint Black Country AO not trying to tell you something you may already know, but any account that you may have used the same password(s) with should also be reviewed 👍

While it is not good practice to reuse passwords, least face it - we all do - and so if it is even possible that some one has accessed something, then change everything. 

• Like 1

I had a similar email today, Which was a bit of a coincidence as I had only recently received a genuine email from Patrick in the last couple of days, about a delivery I have coming my way, and it asked to me click on some attachment down load link, But I but I decided it was a spoof of some kind due to the address 

Patrick Costello <ken.clark@japanphilatelic.com>

They just don't give up. Be carefull and always check the full address, click on reply to get the full address well that's what I did, and it proved it was scam.

So it went straight in the bin as junk or spam.

8 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Its not from your email pat. But is coming with your name as the sender. Ive had 3 from differing emails addresses.

These are replying to 2 different genuine email trails I've had with you or Jason over the past 2 years.

Same here, replies to genuine emails. Sender (not you Patrick) now marked as junk.