Government consider quarantining people who arrive in UK from abroad.

DonPeffers

1 hour ago, jeff oakley said:

This one below is the sort of thing. Masks are only effective if they are the right type of mask and worn properly. So many are knocking up masks out of old tee shorts which do nothing to stop anyone who has the virus from spreading it.

I was responding to the issue of actually wearing one which is what I thought was the main thrust. I've been known to pick off the wrong bit on occasions though...

I agree that people making them from tee-shirts or whatever may not be making anything as efficient as the blue paper masks and definitely not the N95 masks we all see. But they satisfy the law. The law being an ass is a very old problem. But just because I can also be an ass I'm going to go shopping wearing my "face covering". The security guards usually object to me entering the store like this. Lets see what happens later this week... :devil: 

Blatman facemask ps.jpg

19 minutes ago, Alan France said:

I think people who holiday in Spain this early should at least understand and take responsibility for the risk.

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please.  And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.  Unfortunately, it’s often easier to not accept responsibility and to blame others.

young Blatters ......... haven't seen you looking so well in years 🤣😀

It is funny if you went into a bank wearing a mask they called the police, now if you don't wear one they call the police, some people are never happy

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, Mark Stanton said:

young Blatters ......... haven't seen you looking so well in years 🤣😀

It's amazing what a good nights sleep and a kilo of Nivea night cream will do for ones complexion...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

That’s the job description of all politics and all the media.  The sole purpose of these two bodies is to present us with a series of new hobgoblins on a regular basis, most of them imaginary, and make the public so clamorous to be led to safety at any cost that we forget the mess they made after getting it wrong the last time.  They know we have a short attention span and they use it.

Ain't that the truth. Can we sack the lot of them, mind I don;t watch the News any more and can't be arsed with politics either.

After being roundly condemned for acting too slowly and not quarantining people coming into the country in Jan, Feb and early March, during which time Spain had reported less than 2000 cases in total,  the government is this week roundly condemned for acting quickly and quarantining people when cases in Spain spike to about 2000 new cases daily! The ‘Confusion’ over summer holiday plans must end - it seems we are disappointed in the government for not being able to tell this virus what to do and when, so people can book holidays with confidence!

When the message went from ‘Stay at home’ to ‘Stay at home except in these circumstances’ the government was roundly condemned because the message was too complicated.  On giving out the simple message ’14 days quarantine if you have been anywhere in Spain’ the government is roundly condemned for not taking a more granular approach’

Hey Ho!

• Like 5

I just think its absolutely hilarious that no one told the transport secretary the day before 😂. or that sturgeon was made to look even more stupid by declaring spain safe then 4 days later its not🤣

Just shows how much senior government actually communicate with each other and how decisions are made by shooting from the hip.

This government have the biggest majority in ages and they are hell bent on making themselves look as silly as possible.

• Like 1

In the previous 48 hours cases in Spain had increased by 75%

15 of 19 regions in Spain had seen increases

10 Britons, who tested positive, had just returned from Spain

Third of Spanish cases came from night clubs

Covid-O conference call between all administrations took place and decided at 16:30 Saturday

I think they may have been criticised more if they had not taken action.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Alan France said:

think they may have been criticised more if they had not taken action.

I dont doubt it.

I do however doubt the logic behind the decisions. The balaeric and canary islands have a smaller infection rate per 100k people than the the uk by a long way in some areas of the Uk. As does most of the tourist areas of the southern coast of Spain. 

Its the equivalent of an infection outbreak in Cornwall causing the whole of England to go into lockdown. 

Based on the figures in catalonia and aragon I fully support a travel ban to those areas.

Just like when Leicester has an outbreak its right that that local area would have restrictions. 

3 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I do however doubt the logic behind the decisions. The balaeric and canary islands have a smaller infection rate per 100k people than the the uk by a long way in some areas of the Uk. As does most of the tourist areas of the southern coast of Spain. 

If the government did nothing and our wave 2 came from another 'Spanish holiday' spike (which is where our wave 1 came from) How much stick would the government get?   How much stick would they get if they said 'you can go to some places in Spain' 

image.png.cd0df7b057fbdcbae4f10753da9d0c6e.png

23 minutes ago, jim_l said:

If the government did nothing and our wave 2 came from another 'Spanish holiday' spike (which is where our wave 1 came from) How much stick would the government get?   How much stick would they get if they said 'you can go to some places in Spain' 

image.png.cd0df7b057fbdcbae4f10753da9d0c6e.png

That's a nonsensical way to look at it.

For starters the cause of our initial infections was not through 'Spanish holidays'. Feb/Mar is the lowest season for spanish mainland holidays.

The criticism at the start was down more to the fact we were allowing millions of people across the border. Including direct flights from the known epicentre of Wuhan. Then from Northern Italy and then Madrid too. No contact tracing, no quarantine nothing. 

I dont criticise them for taking action. But the canary islands are 1000km from the mainland and have a lower infection rate than we do. So wheres the logic in that? 

Its like saying an outbreak on the orkneys should cause people in London to lockdown. It doesnt make any sense.

Can't get my head around wanting to fly and go on holiday. My attitude to the risk has stopped some way short of sitting in an aluminium tube for many hours with unknown persons. 

• Like 4