• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yorkshire_Pudding

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

• Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO

• Steve (sdh2903)

Popular Posts

Hi Guys   Well, I decided to place the order with Westfield for my MDV Starter kit on the 28th February 2020 which was due for collection on June 26th. However, due to the current situation

Well I’d like to have thought I was well into the build by now but due to an increasing work and college load progress has been super slow. So, this update is just to share what parts I’ve been collec

I got the chassis flipped over with the help of a mate last night, so all ready to start bolting the shiny stuff on now.   Got a job done I wasn’t looking forward to tonight which was drilling

Posted Images

Morley

Wish I could help you pal maybe when this is all over 👍👍👍 

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Well done, have fun with it!

IainCameron

Good luck with it... I know about slow progress!  I think what you really need to help you along your way, is a set of Sierra front uprights, hubs, discs,  pads and wing mounts.  And I may just be able to help you out....

Gary Taylor - Scotland AO

Great to see you getting a start and look forward to the updates

Andy M

Good luck with the build, will follow with interest.

BugMan

Excelent new Andy, so a rolling chassis by........:westy:

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Good to see you’ve got your kit. Looking forward to updates. Enjoy your build.

Paul T

Well done Andy, I chucked you a follow on Instagram so will be interested to see how you get on especially with that beefcake Powertrain choice! 💪🏻

Si.Dalziel

You haven’t cheated at all you just skipped the boring panelling part and started at the good part (I did the same)

Good luck with the build. 

Yorkshire_Pudding

Thanks guys, its much appreciated.

@IainCameron I've already got planned what I'm doing upfront so ill pass thank you.

@Paul T I have chucked you a follow back, love it " beefcake" 😄

@Si.Dalziel ah fair enough, thanks mate. I am making my way around the build threads for ideas slowly and steadily.

Andy

• Like 1
Yorkshire_Pudding

When looking through some of the newer build threads I noticed people were advising that the gaps between the seam welds on the lowered floors were needing to be sealed as there could be gaps for water to get in. After doing some research, I found that a polyurethane adhesive sealant was the one to go for and specifically Sikaflex 221. (excuse the sausage fingers)

IMG_1044.thumb.JPG.71bbb72215d3ac9eea23aeeeb195c067.JPG

I started by de-greasing the joint, then taping along the welds. I then run a bead along the gap and then used a flimsy plastic blade to streak the sealant at 45 degrees. Pretty self explanatory really but just thought I would share my process. (I would recommend wearing gloves while applying this sealant as it can be a right pain in the a*** to get off your skin)

Before with the gaps between the seam welds.

IMG_1046.thumb.JPG.0692c9c6fe27e0c105c296a8fabd8b9a.JPG

After applying the sealant.

FE2E12E7-9715-4589-A0ED-22468E5C87F5.thumb.jpeg.d93c4f7cbf2b5f026af6bce988afee05.jpeg

The steel brake pipes meant that applying the sealant to the inboard front two gaps was nearly impossible as the tip of the sealant tube couldn't fit into the gaps so I had to let gravity do its bit and then force the sealant down with a screwdriver and Allen key to fill the space. Overall though I am quite pleased with how it worked out.

The next job is to wax oil the underneath of the car and areas that are going to get pelted by debris. Does anyone know if wax oiling over the brake pipes is okay for the IVA?

• Like 1
Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO
12 minutes ago, Yorkshire_Pudding said:

IMG_1044.thumb.JPG.71bbb72215d3ac9eea23aeeeb195c067.JPG

(I would recommend wearing gloves while applying this sealant as it can be a right pain in the a*** to get off your skin)

Good old Sika, commonly known as "Black S#!t". I worked with a bloke whose hands were always covered in the stuff, he retired over 10 years ago and I swear it's still under his nails. 

• Haha 3