Which LiPo Battery for - Mega S2000?

AndySheldon

AndySheldon

Hi folks, I am looking at batteries, conditioners and associated tray to mount a battery on my build. 

I was looking at getting an Odyssey battery for my car, however, if they are cost effective I may just go to LiPO instead.

Pros and Cons? 
Where best to source and of course what model would be best to put in my mega s2000?

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

One thing I would give thought to, for one or two of us, though certainly not all, a working immobiliser has been an insurance requirement. While a lithium battery on a maintainer/charger will be no problem with the parasitic loss from the immobiliser, the smallest of the Lithium batteries may have an issue?

Whether it’s a big problem or not, depends on how you plan to use the car. If it’s a strictly trackdays and the odd run out, it won’t be a problem. If the car is to be more universal, including touring, then it may not be. 

Chris King - Webmaster
1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

the parasitic loss from the immobiliser

What is this caused by Dave - the led that tells you it’s armed? About to fit an immobiliser and I have a LiPol battery now. 

Depends on the immobiliser I guess, but yes a combination of the led and then a small (very) amount drawn by the electronics. I would suspect they tend to be one of those designs where part goes into a sort of standby mode, rather than fully off, ready to power up the rfid side, (if it has one), at key on. Equally, the electronics are active for a certain period after key off, (around 30 seconds or so, from memory),  while it waits to see if you actually do mean to turn the car off and that it should disengage the relays for pump and ignition.

AndySheldon

Ah. Now I hadn't thought about fitting an immobiliser.

Should just stick to an odyssey then really. Plus I wanted to go touring in her when done......

Any hints on which odyssey battery and conditioner and immobiliser people are choosing?

As I say, it won’t be much. But one of the reasons I deliberately went for a big old fashioned style battery, is that I wanted the peace of mind to know that I could park the car up for even an extended period without worrying about being able to start again. (On my old high compression XE powered car with an AGM battery, you had roughly three goes to start the car on a fully charged battery, and if for some reason that didn’t do it, you were push starting it  or after the jump leads etc.

It takes around three weeks plus/minus a week, depending on ambient temperature for either of my two Sterling Excel cars, on Banner batteries, to get from full charge down to around 12.5 V, or just under. The Honda will start reasonably at that, normally, the Sigma, is a bit hit and miss, but that’s more down to the cold start mapping and the Weber Alpha management.

The Sterling Excel is a great RFID based immobiliser, very popular, very reliable. Spare RFID key fobs are available, should you loose or damage one, (they can be coded to your car, easily by yourself).

If used in conjunction with the normal ignition key, the Excel is completely “invisible” in use; that’s to say, with the antenna mounted near, or around the ignition barrel, and the fob on the ignition key, key ring, you don’t do anything different with the immobiliser fitted, compared to what you would do, without.

Useless factoid!

If building an ultra lightweight car is your goal, do not start with an S2000, unless you absolutely must have that engine and gearbox!

The Honda 6 speed gearbox alone, weighs more than the five speed box from the Rover V8 engined Westfields, and around 20 odd kg more than a Type 9!

Useless factoid #2, one member, Phil Lloyd, changed his S2000 alternator for a lightweight Denso, shaped the Honda water pump for an electric pump, and changed the Honda inlet manifold and throttle body, for Jenvey throttle bodies. The weight difference, ie allowing for the weight of the replacement items, was 17 kg or there abouts!

A very quick Google, seems to suggest S2000 engine and box to be around 200kg!!! Though that might get a bit less when readied for Westfield use, with power steering pump and AC compressor etc removed. But basically, shaving the last kg off the battery, IF it compromises how you’d actually want to use the car, is a bit of a Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted affair with a Mega S2000!

(It’s still an utterly glorious engine in a Westfield though)

Chris King - Webmaster

Yeah read it and weep Dave 🤣

7D9EEE37-70CB-4EE4-BE11-A0FFD25C8D41.jpeg

• Haha 1

Absolutely!

Then again, the complete dressed engine on the Sigma car weighs somewhere around 85 kg, so there’s a car you could make seriously light, if you wanted!

• Like 1
Rush Motorsport
16 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

What is this caused by Dave - the led that tells you it’s armed? About to fit an immobiliser and I have a LiPol battery now. 

@Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO unable to start his car, coming soon to a Track day near you! 

• Haha 1
Rush Motorsport
Just now, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I have 3x LiPol batteries though. 😁

I meant from immobiliser problems!!

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
16 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Yeah read it and weep Dave 🤣

7D9EEE37-70CB-4EE4-BE11-A0FFD25C8D41.jpeg

Is that without beer-fed- hobbit on board 😉

• Haha 1
Davemk1

I use a Braille G20 Lithium battery to power my Mega S2000. It's worked well for me for a number of years and is pretty darn light at 4.5 lbs (2.0kg). It was one of the countless items I changed, modified, swapped...etc to get the weight of the car down to the minimum weight for my race class. The SCCA says my car needs to weigh at least 1420 lbs (644kg) with me in the car and given my weight (along with helmet) that means that the car itself can be 1220 lbs (553 kg).

I'm sure I could have a lighter car with a different engine and trans but I'm at the minimum and I have lots of power and a very high redline which is vital for my race use. My car is not set up for touring by any means and doing so would add a bunch of weight for sure.

dave

weight.jpg

scales.jpg

• Like 3