Your tales of “great story, wrong audience”

TAFKARM

I was just telling my wife a cracking dote about when I was in Australia a year or two before I met her, and I was doing a trip down the great ocean road solo. 

I’d tried to hire a ute but ended up with a Holden Commodore with a V8, so naturally, I stopped on the GOR and did the most stupendous rolling burn out you could ever imagine, It was fantastic. 

She wasn’t impressed by my story. 

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

This thread; hoisted by my own petard. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

hoisted by my own petard. 

That's a phrase you don't hear everyday, so much so I had google the definition...

At first I thought you had another career in explosives 😮, until I read further... it's not everyday either you get a Shakespearean history lesson 🤣.

No stories here other than, I find any car related stories recounted to a non - car person usually results in a blank face or one of horror.😲.

Love the V8 burnout, just had to be done - I would have done...

22 minutes ago, OldStager said:

That's a phrase you don't hear everyday, so much so I had google the definition...

At first I thought you had another career in explosives 😮, until I read further... it's not everyday either you get a Shakespearean history lesson 🤣.

No stories here other than, I find any car related stories recounted to a non - car person usually results in a blank face or one of horror.😲.

Love the V8 burnout, just had to be done - I would have done...

Fun fact, I actually did used to have a career in explosives - professional firework displays. 

• Haha 1

Thanks for enLIGHTening me :getmecoat:

• Like 1

the wife loves her vivaro van, as soon as I mention changing it and discussing the potential replacements HP, cargo area etc... silence

16 hours ago, Rush Motorsport said:

This thread; hoisted by my own petard. 

16 hours ago, OldStager said:

That's a phrase you don't hear everyday

And when it is used, it’s commonly used incorrectly, as it is here - the phrase is “hoist by my own petard”, not “hoisted”.  I corrected @Blatman on it in here recently as well, which disappointed me as I was sure he’d have done a search first to get it right.  He took it well, of course... :getmecoat:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

And when it is used, it’s commonly used incorrectly, as it is here - the phrase is “hoist by my own petard”, not “hoisted”.  I corrected @Blatman on it in here recently as well, which disappointed me as I was sure he’d have done a search first to get it right.  He took it well, of course... :getmecoat:

Being pedantic it should also be 'with' not 'by'; interestingly (perhaps not) I understood the use of 'hoisted' as an Americanism, you must have been here too long @Captain Colonial:getmecoat:

50 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

Still hurts... :oops:

• Haha 1

I was once asked to tell the truth in front of some people. I did and it resulted in me getting banned from every Greggs bakers in the UK. The storey is not for here though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jonjh1964 said:

Being pedantic it should also be 'with' not 'by'

Being myself (pedantic), “by” is more correct in my opinion.  A petard is a small bomb used for blowing up gates and walls when breaching fortifications.  If you are hoist by your own petard, your own bomb has blown you up.  Saying “hoist with your own petard” implies you were lifted up and the petard accompanied you on your unexpected journey. (See my disclaimer under “About Me” for further details.)

1 hour ago, jonjh1964 said:

you must have been here too long @Captain Colonial:getmecoat:

If I had a pound for every time someone has said that...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup) said:

some people.

Would that be called a jury generally speaking, lol...

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...

The MIL likes us to save all the cardboard boxes for her friend. She was over yesterday so i shouted through from the kitchen "Catherine, do you want a box?"

Then came in to the lounge with the dukes up. 

Oh how we laughed. 

• Haha 1

I have car friends and I have cycling friends.   There is absolutely no crossover of interests between these groups..  it’s very easy to talk about something after a few beers they are absolutely not interested in.