New FREEWheel Race, 8 and 4 versions and BlinkSTOP!

Kit Car Electronics

We're excited to announce our new 8 channel wireless relay receiver. It has 15A per channel, fully integrated high/low beam control (no need for any external relays) and all the other great features of the existing FREEWheel 8 but in a much smaller case with 23 pin Ampseal gold connector! Prices to be confirmed soon...

[Beer not included!]

@Kevin Pullen - WSCC Treasurer already has the first unit as part of his major winter overhaul :) 

91921525_537433377198811_2153545775294971904_n.jpg.1793b681bff27bc6f9c000d9fb80949c.jpg1696232584_89808023_190637782386284_409555677481009152_n(1).thumb.jpg.5855141235410ba51417b4543b696198.jpg

• Like 8

Damn it, damn it, damn it, and I'm running out of room with the big brother plus relays taking up all that space....

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Damn it, damn it, damn it, and I'm running out of room with the big brother plus relays taking up all that space....

I think you really need the AIM Power Distribution Module and a CAN receiver, Dave... 

Have looked at PDM’s several times over the years, it’s just the cost that’s been prohibitive.

But I’m rather hoping that means you have “news”?

Just reread your edited post 🙁

Looked at the AiM PDM when they first started the launch process, at the moment, or at that point, anyway, they were sold with a matching dash that had control switches on. 

There wasn’t much info about the can protocols used, to allow use with third party control devices. That said, I’ve seen your demo vid of the FreeWheel can variant controlling feedback to an AIM dash, so could it control the PDM...

Must admit, while not an immediate project, if I could do it without it costing huge sums, I would like to replace the whole WF wiring loom with one or two PDM’s as part of the cars control system.

30 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Just reread your edited post 🙁

Looked at the AiM PDM when they first started the launch process, at the moment, or at that point, anyway, they were sold with a matching dash that had control switches on. 

There wasn’t much info about the can protocols used, to allow use with third party control devices. That said, I’ve seen your demo vid of the FreeWheel can variant controlling feedback to an AIM dash, so could it control the PDM...

Must admit, while not an immediate project, if I could do it without it costing huge sums, I would like to replace the whole WF wiring loom with one or two PDM’s as part of the cars control system.

Yes, it will be pretty easy to control their PDM over CAN - I'm sure it will be fully configurable. I set up the CAN profile for the dash in RaceStudio3 in about 10 minutes so I have a config already. Once the PDM is launched, I'd imagine it will be available without a Dash bundle.

ECUMaster is another relatively good value PDM option worth considering - we have interfaced a CAN receiver with quite a few of those. I even have a tiny CAN-only receiver (match box sized) suitable for that, when no other physical switching is needed.

Also, Hardwire electronics have a 15 channel PDM that looks great value, with a CAN input - I haven't played with one of those yet, though. 

Edited by Kit Car Electronics
  • Like 1

Damn, AiM have prices up now! (Given the state of Italy at the moment, I presume the launch hasn't happened yet, it was scheduled for late March). If you factor in a rough figure for the prices of the screens, those are damn good prices for a fully featured PDM, especially as they seem to act as a logger, too.

Not going to be a "this year" project, but I suspect It'll bias the purchase of other systems to be compatible, and might try, once the madness is over, collecting the parts to do it. I see the PDM's are now talking about having analogue and digital "ins", which I'm sure wasn't mentioned before. Along with accessory expansion box's for more in's or more outputs.

Potentially means massive wiring and fusing simplification, though. Especially retaining FreeWheel inputs, but via Can Bus, along with ecu inputs via the same route.

• Kit Car Electronics changed the title to New FREEWheel 8 and 4 versions

Hot on the heels of the new 8 channel unit will be the 4 channel receiver version. This also has 15A per channel, with a pre-assembled harness and fully integrated dip/mainbeam relays - so no other relays are normally needed.

We'll also be doing a pre-built and configured 'Kit Car' version of the steering wheel plate for standard Left, Right, Mainbeam, Horn controls, which are the most popular choices for the 4 channels.FW4_2.thumb.jpg.163532e44db68d4cbe312fe873b083c2.jpgFW4.thumb.jpg.e80fe7a37a9847de57bb22f0ef79ac7b.jpg

• Like 7

On 05/04/2020 at 13:20, Kit Car Electronics said:

Yes, it will be pretty easy to control their PDM over CAN - I'm sure it will be fully configurable. I set up the CAN profile for the dash in RaceStudio3 in about 10 minutes so I have a config already. Once the PDM is launched, I'd imagine it will be available without a Dash bundle.

ECUMaster is another relatively good value PDM option worth considering - we have interfaced a CAN receiver with quite a few of those. I even have a tiny CAN-only receiver (match box sized) suitable for that, when no other physical switching is needed.

Also, Hardwire electronics have a 15 channel PDM that looks great value, with a CAN input - I haven't played with one of those yet, though. 

Does any of this mean I can reset the trip meter on the dash more easily without spending over £250? 😁

3 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Not sure what you’re looking at Chris, but it’s £85 plus vat. Admitedly not cheap if you only want the reset option.

https://www.aimshop.com/products/aim-remote-buttons-interface-for-mxl2-mxg-and-mxs

Ah must have come down a lot since I first bought the dash. Honestly might get one as this one thing does my head in every time I fill up (as I see the lads disappear while I sit with the engine off frantically scrolling through menus with a car behind me wanting petrol)

• Thanks 1

Possibly. Some of the expansions are quite reasonably priced, some surprisingly dear, so I can understand them tweaking it.

Looks like the eight channel PDM will be £500, no price released yet for the bigger one though, and given they’re on shutdown at AiM in Italy, no release of the RaceStudio update needed to configure them. (As in, can’t test whether I can configure how I’d want to do it.)

Also means I can recess the dash without the cut outs. Think it’s getting bought on payday - oh hang on, I’m in charge of payroll 😁

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

We'll also be doing a pre-built and configured 'Kit Car' version of the steering wheel plate for standard Left, Right, Mainbeam, Horn controls, which are the most popular choices for the 4 channels.

@Kit Car Electronics  Good to hear!  I almost pressed order on the 4-channel easyfit system yesterday - glad i got distracted!  Do you have an availability date and an RRP you can share?

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Beaker_Bob said:

@Kit Car Electronics  Good to hear!  I almost pressed order on the 4-channel easyfit system yesterday - glad i got distracted!  Do you have an availability date and an RRP you can share?

Thanks

Rob

Depending on DHL delays (waiting on a critical part), the new 4 channel Easyfit should be adding to the website within the next 2 weeks with a £425 RRP minus 10% WSCC discount to pay for your next year's club membership :) . The pre-configured 'Kit Car' version will be a little less.

We are currently VAT registering so unfortunately the prices are lifting by approx 10%, but that price is inclusive of VAT.

• Kit Car Electronics changed the title to New FREEWheel Race, 8 and 4 versions and BlinkSTOP!