Push button start

Jim cunliffe

Jim cunliffe

I am going for a push button starter after the Allegro one failed ! Flea bay has plenty at all sorts of prices but how good are they !!
Can anyone recommend a good quality reliable switch please ?

Thank you

Jim

Jim cunliffe

Hi Tony I’ve already seen that one it’s only rated at 10amps and don’t know if it will do the job or if it does how long before it lets me down.

Thats the reason for the post. Hopefully someone will have a good reliable source for one.!

Thanks for the reply.

Jim

Ian Tolfree (tolf) - WSCC AO Rep

If you use a 30amp relay then the 10amp switch will be fine

• Like 2
Si.Dalziel

@Jim cunliffe I have this brand new richbrook one with relay included in the kit if your interested. I never used it in the end.

2A64FEBA-0BA3-440D-9A05-7B34A57B679A.thumb.jpeg.8686b5409ef3462226e4a9590afe0cdc.jpeg

A74D458B-7E49-4AEB-9284-D20DDB8F5403.thumb.jpeg.231d02000b8e1de07004938c201074c1.jpeg

failing that I have an original S2000 one with relay and wiring but it’s a tricky b*****r to fit

TableLeg
8 hours ago, Ian Tolfree (tolf) - WSCC AO Rep said:

If you use a 30amp relay then the 10amp switch will be fine

This is the best solution in my opinion.

The relay carries the load, the switch can be rated at almost anything which gives you so much more choice of switches.

• Like 3
Barnsley John

May i join this post

I think its elevent but dont want to hijack your post

So regarding  the starter switch  on a normal westfield setup the starter is the last part of the twist on the ignition barrel 

Is this a small amp wiring that goes to the starter

Or is there a relay involved before the starter i also beleive there would be a type of relay connected to the starter

Please correct and advise 

Reason is that it is one of the little jobs that i also have wanted a starter switch as i had one in my lotus and they are smart

Also would you simply be able to diconnect the wires on ignition barrell that starts the car and fit them to a starter switch  or via a relay or is that a no no

Any  simple wiring diagrams please

So any feed back to assisted jim and also myself would be great

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
1 hour ago, Barnsley John said:

May i join this post

I think its elevent but dont want to hijack your post

So regarding  the starter switch  on a normal westfield setup the starter is the last part of the twist on the ignition barrel 

Is this a small amp wiring that goes to the starter

Or is there a relay involved before the starter i also beleive there would be a type of relay connected to the starter

Please correct and advise 

Reason is that it is one of the little jobs that i also have wanted a starter switch as i had one in my lotus and they are smart

Also would you simply be able to diconnect the wires on ignition barrell that starts the car and fit them to a starter switch  or via a relay or is that a no no

Any  simple wiring diagrams please

So any feed back to assisted jim and also myself would be great

I've done this recently @Barnsley John i plan to write it up in the members only area as it details my immobiliser install etc. I'll hopefully get it written up this week. I'll tag you in once done. It's now done- 

You're correct, the mini ignition switch carries the starter solenoid current when cranking, hence I've used a relay for this and also another relay to carry the ignition circuit load too.

• Like 3
Rich201060

@Jim cunliffe

I went for this :

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/demon-tweeks-push-button-starter-50-amp-gryge338r/ didn't fit  a relay. 

Needed a recess dash as it sticks out a bit, also fitted an immobiliser with a little help from @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO thanks.

• Like 1
Jim cunliffe

Thank you for all the replies I’m fixed up now thanks to Si Dalzeil !!
Next on the list after seeing Ian’s post is an immobiliser.Oh, and so much time on my hands whilst waiting for parts I decided to start to make a centre console !!!

• Like 3
Barnsley John

like to here about the upgrade on the starter and imobaliser set up when you can Ian

I once saw something similar on wheeler dealer with ed china doing a similar thing to the Chatham

thats  when i got the idea from

but as you know from all the help you have given me in the past on electrics  

its got to be spelt out in big letteres and simple drawings

so bare with me 

also will need to get the parts ordered if attempting before

deliverers could dry up maybe only food down the line

thanks john

• 5 weeks later...
wesacosa
On 29/03/2020 at 15:22, Rich201060 said:

@Jim cunliffe

I went for this :

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/demon-tweeks-push-button-starter-50-amp-gryge338r/ didn't fit  a relay. 

Needed a recess dash as it sticks out a bit, also fitted an immobiliser with a little help from @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO thanks.

@Rich201060 I am looking to wire my starter button like this, so it lights up when ignition on and goes out once started.  Is yours just wired in parallel to the alternator charge light? If so is the button light an LED? I read on some other forums that wiring an LED switch light into the alternator charge circuit needs a resistor to stop the bulb staying illuminated when the engine is running

thanks

Wes

Rich201060

@wesacosa Hi Wes I think? mine is an led, if you check the state of the ignition warning light when its out both sides are positive relative to ground. so you will only need one wire from this if that makes sense. I have attached the diagram of mine.

ge338r_wiring_diag.pdf

wesacosa
46 minutes ago, Rich201060 said:

@wesacosa Hi Wes I think? mine is an led, if you check the state of the ignition warning light when its out both sides are positive relative to ground. so you will only need one wire from this if that makes sense. I have attached the diagram of mine.

ge338r_wiring_diag.pdf 123.58 kB · 1 download

Hi Rich. thanks for quick reply. 

I think yours is a little different to mine. I have a separate + and - on the back of my switch for the LED. Although I am a little confused how yours works. I assume for it to come on with the ignition but go out when engine starts, but with only a single power lead, you must have connected pin 3 to the wire from the existing charge light to the alternator. If pin 3 was attached to a standard earth then it would light all of the time.

Is that correct?