DIY Facemask

Alan France

12 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Nothing sudden about it. When combined with water droplets from your mouth or nose, it’s airborne, effectively.

Until the droplets settle or dry. I'm betting that's nowhere near three hours. Gravity still works :suspect:

6 minutes ago, Blatman said:

Until the droplets settle or dry. I'm betting that's nowhere near three hours. Gravity still works :suspect:

So what, they’re only carried by the droplets. Now they’re sat on a host of random surfaces, some of which will support the viral load for way more than a few hours.

Don't forget, masks in general use aren’t necessarily there to stop you breathing something in, they’re there to help Reduce those that don’t know they’re carrying the virus spreading it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alan France said:

OK, final design. Two layers of 100% cotton. The layer of tea towel made it too rigid to fit properly around the nose.

Omission of the tea towel will save you from getting killed by the wife🥴 so now only got to worry about Covid 19 getting through.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

So what, they’re only carried by the droplets. Now they’re sat on a host of random surfaces, some of which will support the viral load for way more than a few hours.

Don't forget, masks in general use aren’t necessarily there to stop you breathing something in, they’re there to help Reduce those that don’t know they’re carrying the virus spreading it.

I'm in entire agreement with you. To me, airborne is free floating in the air and carried on the wind like pollen. In droplets that hit and settle on surfaces and doesn't fly off again isn't airborne, that's propelled... 

And yes whenever I see someone in a mask I assume they're carriers.

That has always seemed obvious to me Blatters. Catch the blobs! 

The medical profession are really reliant on masks because hospital ventilators create a really fine aerosol mist when working correctly, that will be full of virus particles and are much smaller than the usual droplets. That's why really good quality masks which seal around the mouth and nose are vital.

The rest of us just need to be worried about droplets, which only sit in the air for a minute or so.  The masks as described above are good for that. Downside is they need changing/sterilising after every hour or so of use! Also, any time you touch the mask, you must then clean your hands, otherwise the mask can collect virus particles that you then smear over everything you touch!

1 hour ago, Exitus said:

The masks as described above are good for that. Downside is they need changing/sterilising after every hour or so of use! Also, any time you touch the mask, you must then clean your hands, otherwise the mask can collect virus particles that you then smear over everything you touch!

We are only wearing for essential shopping trips and washing after ever trip. Agree the limitations but even if the benefit is tiny it’s something. Reports from Spain indicate anyone out without a mask can cause concern for others.

My wife used to make wedding dresses so we have plenty of spare material, may even add a veil.

• Like 1

Just now, Alan France said:

We are only wearing for essential shopping trips and washing after ever trip. Agree the limitations but even if the benefit is tiny it’s something. Reports from Spain indicate anyone out without a mask can cause concern for others.

My wife used to make wedding dresses so we have plenty of spare material, may even add a veil.

You,ll look like the "Grim Reaper" in drag with that get up😁

• Haha 1

Not sure if this is the best place for this, so I understand if admin want to move it...

There's a big push for those with 3D printers to help supply face shields for the NHS.  I've had an email from my Solidworks supplier supporting/encouraging this, so I'm printing these now, and thought others might like to follow the call:

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/25857/user-gcodes

Content of my email:

Calling all Solid Solutions customers!

At Solid Print3D and Solid Solutions, we are working 24 hours a day to produce face masks for our NHS Health workers.

However, we can only do so much with our machines.

We are asking all Solid Solutions & Solid Print3D customers with access to an FDM 3D Printer to start printing the Prusa face shield in groups of 1 or 4.

These are badly needed by health workers from hospitals to local support groups.

You can download the design here under “Best Design”.

We have also created a LinkedIn group to answer your questions and build the community which you can join here.

Once you have 3D printed the face shield, please post to:

FAO Neil Sewell
Solid Solutions
Building 500
Abbey Park
Stareton
Warwickshire
CV8 2LY

You do not need to worry about an elastic headband or the clear face shield as these will be assembled separately.

Your headbands will also be sterilised before shipment.

In summary, just get printing & posting and we will sort out everything else.

Many thanks

Neil

• Like 1

435E69D5-7264-449D-8B36-D4E88A8A4A6D.jpeg

• Haha 3