Savage switches

clansman

Who actually makes Savage switches? Googled Savage car styling but nothing found other than resellers!

They may be from the same electronics company, possibly, but they’re completely different to the ones Ian linked to. The feel and quality of the two set of parts is on a different level. Even the clip in switch modules are a totally different design to the Savage.

(I use the same Caterham sourced switches). The switches used by Caterham,  are made by EAO.

That does ring a bell.

9 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

They may be from the same electronics company, possibly, but they’re completely different to the ones Ian linked to. The feel and quality of the two set of parts is on a different level. Even the clip in switch modules are a totally different design to the Savage.

I stand corrected then, but I can now confirm they are indeed APEM.

I've just looked at my Hazard switch (which is off the car) and it clearly says APEM.

And here they are.

https://www.apem.com/int/a1-series-43.html

Hope that helps.

3 hours ago, TableLeg said:

I stand corrected then, but I can now confirm they are indeed APEM.

I've just looked at my Hazard switch (which is off the car) and it clearly says APEM.

And here they are.

https://www.apem.com/int/a1-series-43.html

Hope that helps.

Hi Jared, are you sure the whole mechanism is APEM? I suspect the rear switch block is, but the front bezel and button may be another brand?

The whole switch assembly seems to be on the Apem website linked to, though perhaps they sub bits out? (Must admit, the switch section doesn’t feel like the normal Apem quality.)

6 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

The whole switch assembly seems to be on the Apem website linked to, though perhaps they sub bits out? (Must admit, the switch section doesn’t feel like the normal Apem quality.)

That's behind my suspicions as with the EAO Items, as an Industrial control supplier there standard legend offerings don't suit car applications, hence why Caterham print their own legend inserts to go inside the EAO items.

Having just read the data sheet, I stand corrected, Apem clearly provide for the automotive market:

image.png.61493e4540b99599f780ee6f9e4ea2a1.png

I saw some variability with Savage switch quality/longevity when researching, before building my dash. Those that had failures could have bought fakes from E-bay etc.

They could, but it was after trying them at Stoneleigh on the CBS stand and on a display at Demon Tweaks, (after hearing the woes of a few people who’d had them come apart), that helped me choose what to go for.

Obviously, plenty of users have perfectly fault free examples, of course!

24 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Hi Jared, are you sure the whole mechanism is APEM? I suspect the rear switch block is, but the front bezel and button may be another brand?

You decide for yourself Ian.
IMAG0162.jpg.920665c6a4032f7d09c59b4fb176f862.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, TableLeg said:

You decide for yourself Ian.

I'd never doubt you! 

• Haha 1

On the point of Savage switches is it possible to change the little LED lamp from the front or do you need to take the whole thing out of the dask and take it apart ??

14 minutes ago, Geezergs said:

On the point of Savage switches is it possible to change the little LED lamp from the front or do you need to take the whole thing out of the dask and take it apart ??

The EAO items require the back to be unscrewed to enable you to remove the front bezel and then pull the pushbutton out to access the lamp. I imagine the APEM items will be similar.

Here's the complete switch (apart from the contact block). The red line represents the dash face:

image.png.081644da1c4a401689c92744377bfc86.png

After removing the contact block with the special tool, you unscrew this piece:

image.png.4bb19242fd84d01b2207765ee045ca46.png

You can then pull it apart:

image.png.b1562cd1c8d1d7d591bb6ce88af18e0e.png

image.png.b8d0d56e23acaa0f6a1258df14a2dda6.png

The push button (with the green lens still attached) needs a firm pull to remove:

image.png.48cfe20b28d3c02121f3c281e6ad39ef.png

The green lens cover can be unscrewed off the translucent part:

image.png.0a92833d5d3894af0c213ee3f9a2bc8e.png 

If the button had a legend, it would be sandwiched in here.

The bulb lives in here:

image.png.8a5b0827d607b47df83635b0b52135df.png

The bulb, is not shown fitted, as all my bulbs are in the switches fitted to the car. I've got a spare push button in my office.

Hope this helps?

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.