Peak District Area and Corona Virus

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Worryingly, some of the other groups/clubs seem to have a rather more cavalier attitude to the whole situation... 

Unfortunately, my field of work means my team and I are putting ourselves at risk of infection every day trying to keep the stores and online supply chain running for essential food and health products. I dread to think how tough it is for the NHS and emergency services teams! 

I cant add to that risk and burden no matter how much I'd love to meet up with you all. 

I'll be sneaking the odd lonely blat though, just to keep myself sane! 😂😂

Stay safe and stay healthy everyone!

• Like 7

Most of you know I have two kids who are extremely complex and I also have a hereditary heart condition ... so we as a family decided to isolate for the full government recommended 12 weeks and have our fingers crossed it's slightly better (or the NHS has more equipment, medicine, etc.) by the middle of June!

I'm going to miss the Peak and Yorkshire runs out but I believe what the club &  @Julie Hall - Peak District AO has done is completely correct.

And I also think what GBS are doing (assuming it's still on as I write this) is completely wrong on so many levels! You can have this virus without knowing and pass it to someone a lot more susceptible and vulnerable ... so why risk killing people for a few hours enjoying a hobby? Yes GBS may have conditions in place to limit interaction but what about all the people travelling that need fuel, visit the toilets on route, etc, etc!

While I fully understand the impact on businesses (I'm self employed and my work has dried up which is bl**** scary!) it's a stupid & selfish decision ... just like all those idiots who went for "one last pint" last night!

Let's face it we all have plenty of jobs to be doing on our cars and that's a fun way to spend some of your isolation!

Anyway that's my rant over and like @RobH72 I will also be sneaking in the odd lonely blat at strange times of the day ... although it won't be far as I don't want to go near a Petrol station 😞

• Like 8

Glad you got out @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO and have cheered us up by sharing your footage. I paid that farmer a lot of money to be there at that exact moment 😀.

If you PM me your address I will send you my little present that I have been waiting to give to you. Little Charlotte might need a bit of cheering up and a few busy moments with dad in the garage is a good tonic. If you don't open it for 3 days it will be guaranteed virus free.

On 21/03/2020 at 14:17, Andy_R said:

... although it won't be far as I don't want to go near a Petrol station 😞

I have downloaded the Shell Go+ app which allows you to pay for fuel from the car (pull up, open app, tell it the pump number, pay, fill up, drive off). If you use a disposable glove then it seems like a very safe way to fill up. I haven't used that feature yet but will try it out next time I fill up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BillyPee said:

I have downloaded the Shell Go+ app which allows you to pay for fuel from the car (pull up, open app, tell it the pump number, pay, fill up, drive off). If you use a disposable glove then it seems like a very safe way to fill up. I haven't used that feature yet but will try it out next time I fill up.

You'll do well to find any/many Shell garage's in the peaks! 🤣

• Like 1

Just now, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

True. Fill up before you go or on the way back. Plus, I have just checked and the app shows you Shell stations on a map. If you do need to pay in store, keep it under £30 so you can use contactless. Or, better still, remove your front number plate and do a fill and go 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

You can probably use BP Me at Calver. 

• Like 1

I've not used the Shell system for a year or so; I used to but it became hugely unreliable.

4 hours ago, BillyPee said:

I have the app but didn't know you could do that! Technology is great ... assuming it works of course 🙂 

Thanks for the heads up. 

• Like 1

On 21/03/2020 at 18:30, Julie Hall - Peak District AO said:

If you PM me your address I will send you my little present that I have been waiting to give to you. 

Don't send it when Ian's when he's having packages collected.. Tangoman was kidnapped and sent to Omex for Poly bag torture :oops:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I've not used the Shell system for a year or so; I used to but it became hugely unreliable.

Was that for payments Dave, or just as a rewards scheme? I have used it for about 6 or 7 visits as a rewards card but have yet to try the payment functionality. I haven't had any problems with the app (on Apple). I was going to try the payment function on the next fill (and probably for the foreseeable future).

It was for payments Bill

• Like 1

You'd get to the pump and except on the rare occasions it did work, it just never seemed to connect to their  servers.

• Like 1