SOLD - 2009 Westfield Mazda SDV

Mark (smokey mow)

After a great deal of deliberation I have come to the difficult decision to sell my Westfield as I believe that someone else should now have the enjoyment of driving her. I always swore that I would never sell, but after 12 years of ownership I'm finding that I'm now using it less and less and instead favouring my other cars.

I am the first and only owner having built the car myself over a period of approximately 10months between May 2008 and February 2009. SVA having been passed first time in February 2009 and First Registration April 2009. The chassis was fabricated by Westfield in 2007 and was originally allocated to Kit Car Magazine for a magazine build, however when this failed to materialise the unstarted kit was stored at the factory until being sold to myself. Fitting of all Aluminium panels, brake lines and fuel lines had already been completed by Westfield prior to my purchase. The donor car for the build was a 1990 Mazda MX5 with approx 75,000 miles on the clock bought as a pallet donor from MX5 Heaven, the braking system was all bought new. After two years of use on the road the engine was stripped and fully rebuilt by MX5 guru Fraser White of Blink Motorsport.

I built the car predominantly for touring and spirited road driving hence the modest performance figures but don't let this put you off, with a kerb weight of only 582kg the  130bhp power (dyno plot available) is very tractable delivering good torque and power around the mind-range just when you need it and is more than adequate for a b-road blast. I've never been interested in track-days however I have completed 12 sprints. 

During my ownership the car has always run faultlessly, and never left me at the roadside, Having confidence in my build it's first journey was the 150mile round trip to Norwich for the SVA test and then only two months after registration It clocked 1000 miles to LeMans for the 24Hr. Current mileage is presently about 12,000 since build.

When I was researching the different kits and my personal spec I wanted the simplicity of build using a single donor and for the drivetrain and a modern fuel injected engine. I had strong feelings about the Mazda clocks and dashpod which Westfield had designed to be used with this kit however I instead wanted an interior look and feel that mimics Westfield's modular build range of cars, so modifications were made to enable the standard westfield dashboard to be used.

Chassis and Body

2007 Mazda SDV

Aluminium lowered floor pans

Westfield Full ZK bodywork in Crimson

Detachable rear arches

Chrome options pack

Heated windscreen 

PPG Paint protection film to rear arches

Standard boot box

Standard range fuel tank (approx 150miles range when touring)

Boot tonneau cover

Full tonneau cover

Hood and doors

Space saver spare wheel

Westfield sport seats

Willans 4-point harnesses with Twist buckle fastening

Crystal halogen headlamp lens conversion

Smiths Telemetrix instruments and pro-sport programable tacho and shift lights

Textured vinyl dashboard (i've never seen another like it)

Suspension

Gaz Coil overs

Geometry and corner weighted by Andy Bates AB Performance (set-up sheets included)

Brake calipers, discs and pads are standard Mazda and were all bought new for the build (no refurbished calipers or second hand pads)

Wheels and tyres

The car is currently fitted with and has been set up for 14x6" Wheels wearing Yokohma A-021R tyres.  These I find suit the car very well for touring and wet grip.

Engine & Drivetrain

1600cc Mazda B6 (1990 Mk5 Donor)

Full engine rebuild by Fraser White Blink Motorsport in 2011

+20 Overbore

Crank Scraper

Cometic Head gasket

Sump Baffle

Skimmed head

3-angle valve seats

Matched fuel injectors

AFM spring modification

Engine produced 130bhp (approx 108bhp at wheels) tested by Atspeed (see plots) 

Westfield 4-1 Exhaust manifold (this car was used by Westfield for development of the prototype manifold)

Westfield 6.5" Stainless steel Cat silencer (approx 91-93dB on track)

Mazda 5-speed gearbox 

4.3 ratio V-LSD Limited Slip Differential

Coolex Aluminium Radiator

Coolant re-route

Carbon canister deleted

Mazda B63H ECU and fully functioning diagnostics connector for fault finding

Paperwork

An MoT test was carried out just before the car was laid up SORN for the winter with no advisories.  This is valid until 2nd November 2020.

A comprehensive folder of receipts, build history and a CD of photographs will be provided with the car.

This car has wanted for nothing during my ownership and has always been maintained regardless of cost. It will be a sad day when sold but realistically it seems a shame to have a car that is only doing 200 miles a year.

Viewings are more than welcome and passenger rides available to serious and prospective buyers if the weather is favourable. Please no time wasters, dreamers or opportunists, I am open to sensible discussions about the price and spares I have but not until you have viewed in person.

£10,750 - NOW SOLD

The car is located in Colchester, Essex

Any enquiries please either PM me via the forum or email me at wsccessex@btinternet.com

Mark

7C12C7F8-B2F3-445E-B971-10A4D8FA94A5.jpeg

08E2983A-2894-4505-9D53-EDF632C0D8A2.jpeg

45C572A2-3362-49C2-8D61-935F5E405056.jpeg

4A4BBCBC-D061-4298-85B7-3C1173923738.jpeg

8A43C84A-2881-4F91-9A67-17D965B9B217.jpeg

• Like 4

86FD182A-FBE9-46BA-8DDC-8CA32A1BC500.thumb.jpeg.705495f3f11b26bc6250b58e15353339.jpeg

4C471F59-BBE2-4C0D-90D3-4068151DB713.thumb.jpeg.92bb11f79a1f1d8d81a01749c47e63b1.jpeg

6B9A4BB5-B0FB-42AA-A200-BCF75C9CAB09.thumb.jpeg.c7073f4cd20ebce930111a7741fa7509.jpeg

2F083D55-5213-48A3-A8AE-DFA2039CE0D8.thumb.jpeg.584d43dab2f4acbe95c13a1dec9d8359.jpeg

5FFC66C5-8CE3-4A3D-B58A-504C8AFF2D95.thumb.jpeg.fb7bbb11dccec9e9651295b3a2bd1373.jpeg

A784FD7B-B85E-4D1F-BBBA-2F77EE2AD78D.thumb.jpeg.c62602c160a119f8351f19f7c659edf1.jpeg

• Like 4

I can imagine a very difficult decision to sell. A great advert and I am sure will sell quickly. 

• Thanks 1

video of the car at the Snetterton 100 sprint.

• Like 1

No Mark what a shame.... But what a lovely car one of the best built out there someone is in for a treat.😄👍

• Thanks 1

A very difficult decision to make but a better built and maintained car you are highly unlikely to find. 

Of course, when you’re talented enough to remove an engine in two minutes, it’s hardly a surprise, is it?

Good luck with the sale Obi-Wan :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh dear Mark!   You’ll loose your title of ‘MX5 Guru’ when it’s sold and regret it for years.

Sold subject to payment 

• Like 1

Now sold and left for its new home in Surrey. I hope you enjoy your new car and the drive home Mark :westy:

thanks to everyone for your comments about the car (and the video Scott). I’m still planning to hang out on the forum so I’m not going anywhere just yet. Now to get on and finish those two build threads:t-up:

• Like 4

Sorry to see it gone but keep the build threads up mate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well there’s the end of an era!

22 hours ago, Kevin Pullen - WSCC Treasurer said:

Sorry to see it gone but keep the build threads up mate

19 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Well there’s the end of an era!

Thank you.  It most certainly is. 

12 years of Westfield ownership (almost exactly to the day), but it's been on the cards for a long time if I'm honest. If I regret the decision I'll just have to build another one :d

New toy gets collected this weekend though so I'll still have something fun to play in on the roads of Essex this summer ;)

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.