Why won’t you do Trackdays in the rain?

TAFKARM

30 minutes ago, S2T said:

My local track is Knockhill, no further comment is necessary

At the last count.. I've done thirteen days at Knockhill, and as far as I can remember there's only been rain at two of them.. and they weren't completely wet all day.

Bring me sunshine! 😎

I did attend a race meeting there once, when it snowed though.  😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

At the last count.. I've done thirteen days at Knockhill, and as far as I can remember there's only been rain at two of them.. and they weren't completely wet all day.

Bring me sunshine! 😎

I did attend a race meeting there once, when it snowed though.  😉

It is somewhat rare for it to rain all day, in fact can get 4 seasons in one day

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 20/02/2020 at 11:44, AdamR said:

Yup. No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing 😉

And it's easier to let water out of a kit car (holes in the seats and floor pan) than it is to stop it coming in!

But what is the right clothing, for sitting in a bucket doing 70mph in the pishing rain? Certainly I dont own it yet!

Then for me you also have the spray issue. I drive on road in wet, mainly when caught out, as long as it isnt dark, and have done autotests in foul weather including getting very cold and wet doing so, but I am not sure I would want to do a track day with both sides of the screen soaked, rain streaming off my helmet.

Daniel

I didn't mind driving my Westfield in the wet, on trackdays or in competition, but then again there's wet and there's WET. Thsi is me coming into the paddock area at the Club trackday at Cottesmore in August 2011. I don't mind admitting that it scared me to drive on track that day. The spray was such that I couldn't see where I was going, and the aquaplaining meant that once I got up to about 80mph, I started cadence braking half way down the straight as I was convinced that otherwise if I kept on accelerating I'd end up in Lincoln High Street. Oh, and by luntime I was so soaked to the skin that I loaded the car back on the trailer, stripped off my clothes down to my underwear, and stood in front of the fire to try and dry out, and warm up. And then I drove home. Nothign would have persuaded me to go out again that afternoon.

Cottesmore 2011 (2).jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mole said:

in fact some of the best action shots are when on track in the wet..

😂💦💦💦🙄

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Pco said:

D4924F20-ADE7-47F6-A2A0-F56C62753AED.thumb.jpeg.16358c270cdf94c8a4b6fbfcf9bb942f.jpeg

I've seen that somewhere else before, looks a bit fishy!

image.png.8a7af120eaa4e2afd1bf5e6317b2f26d.png

5 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I've seen that somewhere else before, looks a bit fishy!

image.png.8a7af120eaa4e2afd1bf5e6317b2f26d.png

That’s just a nibbler... I’m fairly sure it was more like this01EB6B18-DF7B-4DFB-8454-DBB50F710873.jpeg.a5c490e4fa7c99d8c3a517e21b080fc3.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/01/2022 at 12:40, dhutch said:

But what is the right clothing, for sitting in a bucket doing 70mph in the pishing rain? Certainly I dont own it yet!

Proper outdoor clothing. I find an actual waterproof coat (one made of material that is waterproof, not one of those faux waterproofs that relies on a coating to make water run off, which wears off over time and doesn't work) is the main one. Plus holes in the drivers seat so you aren't sitting in a puddle.

I still hate getting wet, two years later! 😁 It won’t change.