13” tyre recommendations

John rusher

Hi Guy and gals, 

preparations have started getting my car up together for the summer and I’m looking at replacing the tyres. 

I’m currently running R888, I use the car for road use and track days. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 13” all rounder?

thanks John 

Hi John,

This is the question I should have asked today but was to impatient and have just gone and ordered the R888's

Will follow to see what recommendations you get,

Cheers Jack

• Like 1

I reckon tyres are like women....very much a personal taste and budget thing lol.....

same thing for woman and men I guess, just to stay PC lol.....

thing is, some want wet weather performance too, some find a tyre that has less grip and predictable breakaway more fun and enjoyable.....the stickiest tyre can be really good on the road, but if you find its limit, it's not the best time to run out of talent.

ive put r888r's on the rear and find them great in the dry, and not too bad in the damp, but personally don't drive in the wet on purpose anyhow. On a Gurston down hill climb school, they were very good too.

Others will have their favourites though. Depends what you want from a tyre to be honest.

wheel dia and width may limit choice too....

Mart.

Yah to be honest I don’t take my car out in the wet anyway. 

I met a guy at castle Combe last year on a track day, he was running road going tyres on his 270bhp speed series car. I went out with him around Combe and he definitely didn’t have an issue with grip. I can remember what tyres they were though.

1 hour ago, John rusher said:

Yah to be honest I don’t take my car out in the wet anyway. 

I met a guy at castle Combe last year on a track day, he was running road going tyres on his 270bhp speed series car. I went out with him around Combe and he definitely didn’t have an issue with grip. I can remember what tyres they were though.

Was it Simon in his red/black duratec car - very quick and i believe he was on Avon ZZRs

7 hours ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

Avon ZZRs

Probably stickier that r888r aren't they ?

I’ve just  gone for r888r on 13” wheels - not tried before so can’t really offer any advice other than they look great on the CXRs 😁

• Like 2

R888R    much better than the  old R888,   last longer, decent grip in the wet over the old version and even better grip in the dry.  Of course more expensive but I like them a lot.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, John rusher said:

Hi, yes it was Simon. ZZR’s? 

Wonder if they come in 13”

Should do. I believe a lot of the sprint lads use them as list 1c tyres? So that means they are stickier than r888r (list 1 b tyres) by my rough reckoning 😁

(awaits the voices of experience)

• Like 1

ZZRs come in different compounds, 1b & 1c I think,  so depends.

• Like 1