wizzer

AP Racing master cylinder

wizzer

Looking for some advice on the ap mc and my girling mc, I've done a lot of searching and found a bit of conflicting information,  my girling Mc has 74660152 Q42 on it no other tag, it's got a letter s and p , s goes to front and p to rears I've read that that's the right way and also it's the wrong way,  this mc could be 50/50 split so wouldn't matter which port is connected to front or back,

Now the ap racing mc westfield don't supply it any more but caterham do, the only difference I can find is the depth of the mc outlets they are deeper on the caterham one it's 0.812 inch 20.62mm and split 60/40, 

Westfield supply a AP mc thats 20mm is this a direct replacement for the girling and would the ports be the right way for my brake pipes.

Any info would be appreciated 👍

Tony

• Like 1

TableLeg

You're right it can be a bit confusing.

I had the original tandem MC and replaced it to match my big brakes. I couldn't get the AP one at the time and bought this one from Westfield https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=84&search=master+cylinder&description=true

as they were selling it as an AP comparable alternative MC.

Maybe @Westfield Sportscars Ltd - Parts Support can clarify.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve (sdh2903)

That is the standard one isnt it?

I would have thought this is the AP upgrade replacement https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1157&search=master+cylinder&description=true

But then they are both 20mm bore, so i guess the 250 one is just for remote reservoirs, am sure patrick will confirm

I just bought the caterham one. If it says out of stock on the site just give em a ring they actually had a few on the shelf when i got mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

From the little I've gleaned on this topic over the years, the AP Racing MC is shimmed by AP to remove and free travel and hence improves the feel.

https://apracing.com/race-car/master-cylinders

image.png.a335cdf0099aee0f5a930b69df594a34.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Westfield Parts Dept

Ian has reviewed and advised the primary should always to go the front on Westfield applications.

IanD

Reading with interest as I am just changing from standard to an AP as well.

I honestly hadn't even given it a thought which port was primary and secondary and just assumed i built the original right and the AP was a simple swap.

Which port is which on the AP?

Sorry for the hijack

TableLeg
2 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

From the little I've gleaned on this topic over the years, the AP Racing MC is shimmed by AP to remove and free travel and hence improves the feel.

https://apracing.com/race-car/master-cylinders

image.png.a335cdf0099aee0f5a930b69df594a34.png

That's interesting Ian, I've not seen that info mentioned before.

I can't quite see what they are achieving though and where they are shimming.

IanD

Many thanks

Thats a great help. I am sure its ok as the standard one since being built and had no problem but you got me thinking and that I better check.

Cheers

RussH

As an aside, the AP master cylinder with standard M16s was the best brake upgrade I’ve ever done. Highly recommended

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
1 hour ago, TableLeg said:

That's interesting Ian, I've not seen that info mentioned before.

I can't quite see what they are achieving though and where they are shimming.

I guess it's between the pushrod and the piston. @AdamR is bound to know!

wizzer

Thanks for the replys

Looks like my plumbing is the wrong way round, but because it's a 50/50 split it's not been a problem. 

Is the ap racing mc worth the money over the westfield ap mc , is the westfield one split 60/40.

I think I'll have to replace my front brake pipe because it's not long enough to go in the primary port and there's enough length on the rear to move it into the secondary,  can anyone confirm the thread size on the mc and the union .

Also does anyone know if the caterham mc has different ports to the westfield one.

Thanks Tony  

dhutch
15 minutes ago, wizzer said:

Thanks for the replys

Looks like my plumbing is the wrong way round, but because it's a 50/50 split it's not been a problem. 

Is the ap racing mc worth the money over the westfield ap mc , is the westfield one split 60/40.

I think I'll have to replace my front brake pipe because it's not long enough to go in the primary port and there's enough length on the rear to move it into the secondary,  can anyone confirm the thread size on the mc and the union .

Also does anyone know if the caterham mc has different ports to the westfield one.

Thanks Tony  

What brakes have you got driven from it?

1 hour ago, RussH said:

As an aside, the AP master cylinder with standard M16s was the best brake upgrade I’ve ever done. Highly recommended

Very interesting. Can you describe the improvements?

Daniel

RussH
2 minutes ago, dhutch said:

What brakes have you got driven from it?

Very interesting. Can you describe the improvements?

Daniel

Much more solid pedal and better “feel” to modulate them when braking hard on track.