Jump to content
wizzer

AP Racing master cylinder

Recommended Posts

wizzer

Looking for some advice on the ap mc and my girling mc, I've done a lot of searching and found a bit of conflicting information,  my girling Mc has 74660152 Q42 on it no other tag, it's got a letter s and p , s goes to front and p to rears I've read that that's the right way and also it's the wrong way,  this mc could be 50/50 split so wouldn't matter which port is connected to front or back,

Now the ap racing mc westfield don't supply it any more but caterham do, the only difference I can find is the depth of the mc outlets they are deeper on the caterham one it's 0.812 inch 20.62mm and split 60/40, 

Westfield supply a AP mc thats 20mm is this a direct replacement for the girling and would the ports be the right way for my brake pipes.

Any info would be appreciated 👍

Tony

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TableLeg

You're right it can be a bit confusing.

 

I had the original tandem MC and replaced it to match my big brakes. I couldn't get the AP one at the time and bought this one from Westfield https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=84&search=master+cylinder&description=true

as they were selling it as an AP comparable alternative MC.

 

Maybe @Westfield Sportscars Ltd - Parts Support can clarify.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve (sdh2903)

That is the standard one isnt it?

 

I would have thought this is the AP upgrade replacement https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1157&search=master+cylinder&description=true

 

But then they are both 20mm bore, so i guess the 250 one is just for remote reservoirs, am sure patrick will confirm

 

I just bought the caterham one. If it says out of stock on the site just give em a ring they actually had a few on the shelf when i got mine.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

From the little I've gleaned on this topic over the years, the AP Racing MC is shimmed by AP to remove and free travel and hence improves the feel.

 

https://apracing.com/race-car/master-cylinders

 

image.png.a335cdf0099aee0f5a930b69df594a34.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Westfield Parts Dept

Ian has reviewed and advised the primary should always to go the front on Westfield applications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IanD

Reading with interest as I am just changing from standard to an AP as well.

I honestly hadn't even given it a thought which port was primary and secondary and just assumed i built the original right and the AP was a simple swap.

Which port is which on the AP?

 

Sorry for the hijack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TableLeg
2 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

From the little I've gleaned on this topic over the years, the AP Racing MC is shimmed by AP to remove and free travel and hence improves the feel.

 

https://apracing.com/race-car/master-cylinders

 

image.png.a335cdf0099aee0f5a930b69df594a34.png

That's interesting Ian, I've not seen that info mentioned before.

I can't quite see what they are achieving though and where they are shimming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IanD

Many thanks

Thats a great help. I am sure its ok as the standard one since being built and had no problem but you got me thinking and that I better check.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RussH

As an aside, the AP master cylinder with standard M16s was the best brake upgrade I’ve ever done. Highly recommended

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
1 hour ago, TableLeg said:

That's interesting Ian, I've not seen that info mentioned before.

I can't quite see what they are achieving though and where they are shimming.

I guess it's between the pushrod and the piston. @AdamR is bound to know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wizzer

Thanks for the replys

Looks like my plumbing is the wrong way round, but because it's a 50/50 split it's not been a problem. 

Is the ap racing mc worth the money over the westfield ap mc , is the westfield one split 60/40.

I think I'll have to replace my front brake pipe because it's not long enough to go in the primary port and there's enough length on the rear to move it into the secondary,  can anyone confirm the thread size on the mc and the union .

Also does anyone know if the caterham mc has different ports to the westfield one.

Thanks Tony  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dhutch
15 minutes ago, wizzer said:

Thanks for the replys

Looks like my plumbing is the wrong way round, but because it's a 50/50 split it's not been a problem. 

Is the ap racing mc worth the money over the westfield ap mc , is the westfield one split 60/40.

I think I'll have to replace my front brake pipe because it's not long enough to go in the primary port and there's enough length on the rear to move it into the secondary,  can anyone confirm the thread size on the mc and the union .

Also does anyone know if the caterham mc has different ports to the westfield one.

Thanks Tony  

 

 

 

What brakes have you got driven from it?

 

1 hour ago, RussH said:

As an aside, the AP master cylinder with standard M16s was the best brake upgrade I’ve ever done. Highly recommended

 

Very interesting. Can you describe the improvements?

 

 

Daniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RussH
2 minutes ago, dhutch said:

 

What brakes have you got driven from it?

 

 

Very interesting. Can you describe the improvements?

 

 

Daniel


Much more solid pedal and better “feel” to modulate them when braking hard on track. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.