RX8 powered westie's

Chris jesson

hi all,

for once a post from me which isnt a car for sale lol...

anyway, i am potentially looking to get another westie (i had 3 last year) and am reading up on these RX8 powered ones.

has anyone on here had one or been in one, just seeing what the general consensus is.

there is one for sale but out of respect for the owner i am not going to start pasting links to it as this is a general question.

i had a 1600 x flow, 2.0 pinto and fireblade engine westie last year so keen to hear what the 1.3 RX8 is like.

thanks in advance

chris

ps. does anyone know if the curborough dates are out yet?

chris marries very successfully raced a RX7 powered westfield in the early noughties, noise was the biggest issue

There is a lot of info on the current rx powered car that is for sale on the locost forum. with trial tribulations and the car in full rebuild. its a good read,

The guy is on the RX-8 forum too - he's very honest so plenty of history on that car to be found.

My only experience of the RX-8 engine is in my RX-8. The engine itself is compact, but I wouldn't say it's lightweight. Comparable to a Zetec I think. Packaging of the intake makes it a bit tall, but the vast majority of the weight is down low. Noise with the RX-8 engine isn't so much of a problem as the RX-7 engine was because the ports are on the side. Not great for power, but good for noise control! The engine itself is ridiculously smooth and revs forever. It does need revving to extract the performance, so is probably better suited to a Westfield than it is to an RX-8!

If you're looking for info on the RX8 engine itself, and want some entertainment, the Car Throttle guys on YouTube did a series on buying and living with an RX8. This ended up being quite poorly and they did some videos with Rotary Revs, going through the rebuild process. This talks about what commonly goes wrong, how to avoid, typical rebuild costs, and tuning options.

There's some gooning about there, but also a lot of good info on the pros and cons of that engine. It's an option of extremes compared to a 'safe' Zetec. When it's good, it's amazing, when it's broke, it's really broke, and it will break.

• Like 1

They scoff oil too. This is interesting - a see thru engine so you can see how it works. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I own an RX8 engine Westfield, possibly the one you have seem advertised in February.

Chris, where are you located, welcome to try mine out...after lockdown that is haha

I purchased it from Jon who has a very lengthy build thread on the mazda rotary forum

http://mazdarotaryclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=80900.new;topicseen#new

Hopefully that link works, otherwise just search westory and it should come up. May well be something on this forum come to think of it....

I'm going to continue with the build thread with changes and additions i make. 

I think the engines characteristics are very well suited to the Westfield. Very linear power and it is very fast.

Adam

20200229_161257.jpg

• Like 6

I must admit I do love the concept. What are the power and weight like Adam?

Everyone has different definitions of “fast” 😄

About 200bhp and 540kg I think it was? Should be fairly nippy, great soundtrack too!

On 11/04/2020 at 14:12, AdamR said:

About 200bhp and 540kg I think it was? Should be fairly nippy, great soundtrack too!

Probably about right. Its the 231 13b with a street port so would like to think a little higher than 200bhp but they are well known for not making the quoted figures stock

It is quick very quick, due to the lock down I've not managed to get to any track days yet. As mentioned previously the engines power curve is well suited to the Westy. Very smooth and pulls harder and harder the higher up the revs.

Sounds great and lots of pops and bangs followed by 🔥 

I