Choosing a Charity

Nemesis

Happy new year to you all.

I'm a lucky git and get paid more than I can drink, and trust me I can drink a fair bit !

Since the revelations a couple of years ago that some of the Oxfam "employees" were exploiting victims of an earthquake the Sage and I have been struggling to choose a worthwhile Charity to support.

I know that Charity can be an emotive subject and the Sage and I have differing views on who or what to support, we often disagree on the choice of cause.

I'm most uncomfortable with the thought of my cash going to the pockets of Charity exec's and fund raisers, and I hate handing cash to homeless folks for fear that it turns into booze or worse, I'm far more comfortable buying them food or a coffee, this then leads me on to where this meandering essay is going.

A lot of these folks have a companion animal, the animal didn't get to choose it's circumstance, yet to date I've not seen an animal that didn't look well nourished and loved, the same can't be said for some of the owners !

I read a book last year called "A street cat called Bob" there were a few lines in there that to me highlighted the problems homeless folk have when their animal is ill, barely enough money to feed themselves yet the pet gets fed first, then how do you you find Vet's fees, after all they are up there in the stratosphere along with Solicitors and Dentists.

This was brought to a sharper focus a month ago when one of our dopey house rabbits managed to self inflict an open fracture to one of her back legs (ankle), we woke up to blood and a lame bunny looking for somewhere to hide, so a quick dash to our Vet's and we were £67 lighter, then a trip to Pets at Home for a cage to act as indoor hospital ward saw us a further £60 lighter, since the first visit to the Vet's it's been another 3 and more dosh paid out, but hey ho we do love our animals and we can afford it.

Our Vet's practice is in Hopwood on the outskirts of Birmingham, they have a collection tin for a Charity called StreetVet, I asked the Vet's nurse "who, what, why, when" she gave me the low down. It would appear that these guys & girls are real life Samaritans, they have regional teams that give up their time for FREE and do MOT's & check-ups and treat / vaccinate companion animals, they also offer a FREE engraved ID disk registered with them, so if the animal gets lost they know who's it is and will get it back to them.

Now it impresses me that the volunteer Vet's have got to be supplying the prescription med's for the animals, I can only assume that any cash donations will be funding this..... as you and I can't readily buy such items for them.

However StreetVet have an Amazon wish list, each region has their own, and it's painless to use, the donor is one step removed from any "pleading" mailshots and such, as any stuff you've bought just gets delivered to them, so no sign up and no pestering from fund raisers (not that they have any that I know about). 

So in short..... if I've guilt tripped any of you fellow animal lovers into taking a chance and sending your local StreetVet a gift or two then feel free to mention it to me when we meet and I'll buy you a beer.... after all I get paid more than I can drink.

Nem...........         

https://www.facebook.com/streetvet/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARBWjFrjg2qQl0sFjVdwdsPdH6lz1NLOQnOXhD7ocbjPNMz3QMBmfBHdwdJVyfd6Sv_THZsTj_ekZuAe&hc_ref=ARTAAR-gMpzC-sIjPjallPKsswAmdjvdIPl2W9K8xfL5NyahMJYe4Mkt1ireQJo9dvA&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARDWvOXbhOkR8s8UnP9A0uKOrYm9FBom15KVgaFAgP6oNn5i3nKAsuLy88aggYnVRaK77vgtkSbCATROSN8hT0OwqR0tuGO1X21M9lSk2qhEWZoPAjykckwyEdN91pKrPrCvERPW3icFOp95SF8MiMoOoUSqfieqj09JeL3GZiYgfylHM8hQ54EOenr_iOu66GaCfu7BUnqTAloVZEsBbboY6n1zhfBDa1WsYThodJN68Af_dUFoYeYBV4iSvMGHYW-USJvCDUfNsW6ao0P6cZMPxckQtqbZveJr4UOjeu6V0SX0cuM-35OBzDz18owroAccMEZdfjC8g30Z0wIf-_XZ6BG6_p_8d7LH6CcSj73Fa8WK4DvR9Q

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Happy New year to you Nem. I think your message will provoke thought in all that reads it. 

It might not be the top of the list for everyone but it might inspire lots of us to donate our 'beer money' somewhere it can make a difference.  

I think as a club we could get our loose change out and make a difference where it counts.  Perhaps the AOs can make a regular fundraising event.. Maybe a bit of area competition?? It could be fun. There are a lot of possibilities here... 

Thank you Nem for the inspiration and pointing out a 'need'.. I'm in.