IainCameron

SEiW Build by Iain

IainCameron

The reason for those nuts and bolts lying on the floor is the reason I have to adopt the callsign #Chimp-1.

Anyone who read @Glen_I's post carefully (obviously not me) would have noted that he mentioned 'Individual SBD pipes'.  If, like me, you have a standard Westfield 4 into 1 lump, you'll find that the pipes won't pass through the carefully tailored hole you've just created, even if you take the engine mount off.

Doh!

I shall have to expand the hole a bit, fore-and-aft, so that I can get a decent angle of dangle.  And that's without the engine in place.   I don't know how many times anyone needs to remove the exhaust pipe manifold, but my 'little-hole-in-the-GRP' method might make it an engine-out operation.

Can you do us a favour?  Let me know if you can get your exhausts out with the engine in place, and if possible, show us a picture of the exit hole so I know what I'm aiming for!  Ta!

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO
2 hours ago, IainCameron said:

Can you do us a favour?  Let me know if you can get your exhausts out with the engine in place, and if possible, show us a picture of the exit hole so I know what I'm aiming for!  Ta!

Yep. 

7BA11C4B-1828-44BA-AAFA-7F42F97E6299.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO
1 minute ago, IainCameron said:

Thanks @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO.  Can you get the exhaust off without removing the engine?  They look reasonably tight in there...

Just! But it’s a Zetec - so might not be a direct comparison?

• Thanks 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Aye, got that T-shirt! Made exhaust manifold hole lovely ant tight, then discovered, any mix of the following can happen,

a. The engine rocking around on it’s nice rubber engine mounts results in contact and chipped the gel coat

b. Get too close, and the edge of the GRP chars and burns somewhat with the heat, which can also cause it to move and distort, on irregular shaped holes, with unsupported sections.

c.. You realise you have to take the engine out to get the manifold out, but you can undo the manifold without removing the engine, as it won’t twist, so it becomes a multistage process with engine cranes, trying to move the engine sideways in the engine bay to give clearance. 

Oh and getting the engine dyno’d becomes nerve wracking, when you see the manifold glowing cherry red and recall how close to gel coat it is!

• Like 1

IainCameron
9 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Made exhaust manifold hole lovely ant tight, then discovered, any mix of the following can happen,

I'm thinking that maybe a slightly more generous hole might be in order, then make a stainless steel 'cover' to slightly tighter tolerances, held in place with Dzus fasteners.

I'm also thinking of Dzus fasteners to hold the hinges to the FW nose, so I don't have to drill out rivets or faff about with nuts and bolts if I need to take the bonnet off.  I noticed that @Morris (I think!) used them on his Eleven build... anyone else used Mr Dzus for these kind of things?

1960dave

I had a  real problem with mine as not only did it go down at a angle but it also came out at a angle. It took 4 hours to cut the hole 

20200609_154352.jpg

• Like 1

IainCameron
1 minute ago, 1960dave said:

I had a  real problem with mine as not only did it go down at a angle but it also came out at a angle. It took 4 hours to cut the hole 

Blimey, that looks fun!  I think that the raked angle might help getting the exhaust in and out without removing the engine, but it looks like it was properly emotional cutting the hole!

Are you still looking for one of my pedal inspection covers?  PM me if you're still interested, as I've worked out which one I need now.

Morris
29 minutes ago, IainCameron said:

I'm thinking that maybe a slightly more generous hole might be in order, then make a stainless steel 'cover' to slightly tighter tolerances, held in place with Dzus fasteners.

I'm also thinking of Dzus fasteners to hold the hinges to the FW nose, so I don't have to drill out rivets or faff about with nuts and bolts if I need to take the bonnet off.  I noticed that @Morris (I think!) used them on his Eleven build... anyone else used Mr Dzus for these kind of things?

It may not have been me, although they are fitted as standard to secure the xi clams and scuttle. Sorry for the poor photo but you can just see one at the top of the photo on the rear clam. 

I can go into the garage later on to take a better photo if that'll help?

IMG_3998.thumb.jpg.e7a1b50305933e87f20214235c5aae37.jpg

Morris.

• Like 1

IainCameron

Thanks @Morris, it was your post from Sunday, and the photo of the S-shaped retainers which I was thinking of... I presumed they're for Dzus!  I'm not sure whether to use the S-shapes (which I think need to be riveted into place) or the more rigid box-shape retainers which I guess one can Araldite onto the rear of the GRP.

Morris

Oh yes it looks like there are different types with back plates that clip to panels etc. and sold by places such as Merlin, D tweeks, CB solutions etc.

If you were going for a type that bonds to the back of the panel, I would suggest securing it under a strip of glass matting to incorporate it into the panel layup. This will spread out the load from the fastener better to prevent it from falling off through vibration etc. Epoxy will bond well to polyester, just make sure the surface is roughened up with emory cloth and wiped over with a solvent first.

Westfield fits s-backed Dsuz fasteners to the xi. Here is the rivited on back corresponding to the front side in the last photo. I haven't used mine in anger yet so I can't comment on how good they are.

Screenshot_2020-07-30-11-48-09-354_com.android.browser.thumb.jpg.9138f0b9aa131d30f1c35b70320387cd.jpg

Oh and if you do use the riveted backs on the grp panel, cut a 1mm aluminium backing plate to fit under the rivets to stop them from being pulled through the grp.

• Thanks 1

IainCameron

Thanks @Morris that's really helpful.

• Like 1

jonjh1964
3 hours ago, Morris said:

Oh yes it looks like there are different types with back plates that clip to panels etc. and sold by places such as Merlin, D tweeks, CB solutions etc.

If you were going for a type that bonds to the back of the panel, I would suggest securing it under a strip of glass matting to incorporate it into the panel layup. This will spread out the load from the fastener better to prevent it from falling off through vibration etc. Epoxy will bond well to polyester, just make sure the surface is roughened up with emory cloth and wiped over with a solvent first.

Westfield fits s-backed Dsuz fasteners to the xi. Here is the rivited on back corresponding to the front side in the last photo. I haven't used mine in anger yet so I can't comment on how good they are.

Screenshot_2020-07-30-11-48-09-354_com.android.browser.thumb.jpg.9138f0b9aa131d30f1c35b70320387cd.jpg

Oh and if you do use the riveted backs on the grp panel, cut a 1mm aluminium backing plate to fit under the rivets to stop them from being pulled through the grp.

I've found it best  to use 'peel' rivets to hold parts on GRP.

Peel Rivets

• Like 2

Dean Goodall

I intended to make a close cut, profiled hole during my build but when trying to fit the exhaust with engine in only proved that the hole needed to be bigger.  I was never happy with the cutout, appeared unfinished or 'untrimmed' if you like.  So I made what I call, 'a removable embellishment'.  This enabled a larger hole in the tub to allow easier removal of exhaust and distanced the gel coat from the heat.  Also, the 'embellishment' could be profiled quite closely.  I used much the same cardboard principle as yourself with help from a design template printed from computer.

902712510_Screenshot2020-08-01at22_19_31.png.1ec8f4a7807b5f2947a81dc82bac8c9b.png

IMG_2097.thumb.jpeg.5e19ec84404bf4edc0731445b7997115.jpeg

IMG_0576.thumb.jpeg.ecad287414e376bc4cd191584f486fa5.jpeg

IMG_0577.thumb.jpeg.21b98fd1d198a632c66d8c01b1f958a8.jpeg

IainCameron
1 hour ago, Dean Goodall said:

So I made what I call, 'a removable embellishment'

Very tidy, Dean.  What is your 'removable embellishment' held on with?  It looks like large cross-heads on the outside, but inside?  I was planning Dzus fasteners, but for the number of times that an 'embellishment' would have to come off, they might not be worth the effort!