Brexit 50p Coin

Alan France

I have enjoyed all the silly comments from the likes of Alastair Campbell, who will refuse to accept a Brexit 50p coin. The alternative designs are also pretty good.

“Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations”, does sounds a little more professional compared to "Bo**ocks to Brexit."

The best by far was from Julia Hartley-Brewer who offered any unhappy "Remoaner" this deal.

"I entreat any despairing Remoaners to hand all of their unwanted Brexit 50 pence pieces over to me.

In return, I will give them 20 pence back and tell them what they are allowed to spend it on.

That way they can happily go on pretending that they are still living in the EU and Brexit has never happened."

We're going to Parliament Square on Friday evening to enjoy the fun, hotel booked in case it all gets too emotional. (Flags and Big Ben Bong on my mobile ready)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The term remoaner properly irritates me. I'll bet if the vote had gone the other way there would be far more serious moaning from the exit camps than we have witnessed from the remain camp. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

The term remoaner properly irritates me. I'll bet if the vote had gone the other way there would be far more serious moaning from the exit camps than we have witnessed from the remain camp. 

Not intended to irritate, I'll restrict my comments to the "remain camp."

I've lost quite a few votes over the years and managed to get over it. I think the reactions of, some of, the "remain camp"  surprised most people. My grown up kids could not believe the social media and school gates abuse they received for daring to vote leave. From my point of view if the vote had been remain I would have accepted it and quietly waited for an opportunity to leave in the future.

The entire triumphalism of this really is revolting.  This wasn’t a war or sporting trophy won.  This was a political decision on an extremely serious matter with unknown and unpredictable future outcomes.   I do hope it all turns out well in the end, but I wonder if those public figures crowing about their “victory” Friday will be as quick to accept the blame if it goes wrong.

I very much doubt it.

• Like 1

I think I’ll leave this thread before I cause anymore trouble.

We’ll enjoy our few hours in Parliament Square, hear a few speeches, wave a few flags, sing a few songs and have the odd drink. It’s not a triumphal march for me but I believe it was an important issue for democracy.

Great night, despite the rain. Parliament square full. Dominic Frisby was very well received.

Happy Brexit Day.

Off to Europe next week for a bit of a ski.

There is no triumphalism from me although I am happy with the result. It was the realisation that the EU had morphed into something it was never meant to be that led me to believe we were better off out than in.

The bitterness this has created is unprecedented and anyone who thinks that the remain side did not lie in their campaign is deluded, both sides did.

What I find really sad and worrying is that it has been portrayed as old against young and educated against stupid, it was not and the crowds last night showed there were all age groups and levels.

What has filled me with fear is that so many who voted remain are wanting the UK to fail and to split up so they can say told you so, why? I never wanted Labour in power yet I did my best to carry on as normal when they were, yet others are saying they will undermine the UK from within to prove a point. really sad.

But the bigger question is why we got here? Watch the program that Ed Balls has just done where he went across the EU to find out why the rise of Far Right parties is rampant. It is because the political elite have ignored the populations fears and not delivered what they need and were promised. It is noble to want to help people overseas but when your own population is unable to afford care or fund education and security properly you get a backlash. This is the void that far right parties fill.

Hopefully the Tories deliver what they say they will, if the deliver just half it will transform the North and Midlands and stop people feeling that everything is London Centric.

We need to come together, find solutions, enjoy success and stop finger pointing as that will never help. We can build a better future for both sides and the sooner we stop bickering the sooner we will all feel better.

• Like 9