Dave1954

Emissions

Dave1954

Hi I’m enquiring on behalf of a friend who is not a member, he’s bought a cobra part built, it has a new crated Chevy engine, what are the Iva rules regarding emissions, will he need catalytic converters to bring up to the current standards , or if you can help with any other problems he’s likely to come up against, I have gone through the Iva test but I’m not sure on this subject .cheers. Dave

TableLeg

It depends entirely on the year of manufacture if the engine. It is this that will decide it's emission standard and that will determine whether or not it would need Cats.

What year is the engine?

Dave1954

It’s a brand new engine

TableLeg
2 hours ago, Dave1954 said:

It’s a brand new engine

So built in 2019/2020?

What Chevy engine is it?

From what car does it come from? Has the engine been used in a much older spec US car? Or is it one of the latest engines from a 2019/2020 car?

What you have to do is prove the engine age.

If it were an older style 350 engine then it would have been used in cars 20+ years ago and therefore you could argue that is its vintage.

If that engine only resides in a car model from the last few years then that's what you'd be stuck with.

Steve (sdh2903)

Age of manufacture will govern it. So a new cat test.

A lot will depend on if it's on a carb or fuel injection. If it's on a carb it will need to be set up lean to pass emissions. It's not impossible but can be tricky. If injection it maybe ok out of the box if it comes with a plug and play ECU with the engine kit.

Either way will definitely need cats.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

It's down to him to (credibly) prove the age of the engine. If he can't then it will be tested to the latest IVA emission standard on the day of testing.

Note, while the engine type may well be used on earlier models, but unless things have changed recently? the onus is on the presenter to prove, via engine number, that the engine was made in whatever year you're claiming. (There is or used to be a slight variation on this, where a single donor car was being used, and that you could prove the engine you had now had been instaalled in that car, prior to it being rebuilt as a kit, you could use the earlier car's age and not the later engines age. However the DVSA did get wise to all those kits based on SIerras' which had had non-existent Pinto to Zetec engine swaps prior to the kit build).

Dave1954

Ok thanks for replies, as I said it is a new crated engine, first thing is find any identification numbers on the motor do some research and go from there, I watched wheeler dealers where they struggled to pass test running on a carb cheers 

With a brand new crated engine, it is what it is, so you actually don't need to do anything; it's going to be tested to current emissions regardless.

It's a question now, of what's going to be needed to get it through the emissions test. It will need cats, I guess, but the rest depends on how it's currently fueled?

TableLeg
2 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

With a brand new crated engine, it is what it is, so you actually don't need to do anything; it's going to be tested to current emissions regardless.

Not necessarily Dave, if its s US imported Crate engine it almost certainly won't be setup for UK emissions testing.

1 hour ago, TableLeg said:

Not necessarily Dave, if its s US imported Crate engine it almost certainly won't be setup for UK emissions testing.

Apologies, you misunderstood me; I meant you don't have to do anything with documentation re engine age. 

Hence my second comment:

It's a question now, of what's going to be needed to get it through the emissions test. It will need cats, I guess, but the rest depends on how it's currently fueled?

TableLeg
4 hours ago, Dave1954 said:

Ok thanks for replies, as I said it is a new crated engine, first thing is find any identification numbers on the motor do some research and go from there, I watched wheeler dealers where they struggled to pass test running on a carb cheers 

Look here and see if you can match any details from the block.

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/reference-chevy-engine-block-casting-numbers/

TableLeg
22 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Apologies, you misunderstood me; I meant you don't have to do anything with documentation re engine age.

Ahh yes I see what you meant. :yes:

• Like 1