Peak District Run Out, Sat 25th Jan, Matlock 10.30

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Meet at Sainsburys Matlock 10.30am for a run around the Peak District discovering watering holes along the way, who is joining us?

• Like 2

Hoping to come. I’ll drop you a note nearer the time to advise how negotiations have progressed. 

• Like 1

@Julie Hall - Peak District AONot sure if I'll be there yet, my coolant leak isn't as straight forward as I hoped.. Is it ever!? 😂

It looks like my 3 month old coolex rad has failed. Seems to be the core itself (rather than my fitting skills!) but I'm about to take it off for a closer look. Just weighing up getting another or refitting the original Polo radiator

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Trevturtle said:

@Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO.. is an expert in this area, he may have advice

Talk to @coolexperts (Steve Parker the MD of Coolex), I'm sure they'll help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Talk to @coolexperts (Steve Parker the MD of Coolex), I'm sure they'll help.

Thanks @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AOI've dropped Steve a message.

With my very rudimentary tools (blocking one pipe and blowing in the other 😂) it does appear to have a very small leak near where the end tank meets the fins. On the positive, it's not failed near the mounts.

I'll probably have to buy a new one but at least I know they do a discount for members now 👍

1 hour ago, RobH72 said:

Thanks @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AOI've dropped Steve a message.

With my very rudimentary tools (blocking one pipe and blowing in the other 😂) it does appear to have a very small leak near where the end tank meets the fins. On the positive, it's not failed near the mounts.

I'll probably have to buy a new one but at least I know they do a discount for members now 👍

If it’s 3 months old it should be under warranty 

Sorry, won't make this one, busy helping another member with a little project.

• Sad 1

On 20/01/2020 at 20:32, AndrewBClarke said:

Hoping to come. I’ll drop you a note nearer the time to advise how negotiations have progressed

Coming!!

• Like 2

Sorry,  I have some garage tinkering planned (not the westfield).  have a good day

• Sad 1

With tomorrow's forecast being dry and 8 degrees I think winter is proving to be very favourable for travel in a Westfield, it's even getting lighter later, so hurry up with those winter upgrades. The road with the picturesque viaduct on does not re-open until next Friday, so we will have to wait a while longer for that pleasure.

In the meantime here we go, see you in the morning 👍

• Like 2

A low attendance today, anyone would think it was January. I mean, a muddy, damp surface of very cold tarmac in a light car with summer tyres on, what a driving challenge, I'll take that on. 

Andrew and Bill met us in Matlock

DSC01151.JPG.15682c15b0bbf8d903857a70161e6a84.JPG

DSC01154.JPG.c4aaa0ac3d9c9fb5c7f6eaf0dafde336.JPG

We wiggled up the twisty Via Gellia road, it was 3 degrees at the top, then we went on our new road but in the opposite direction to last week. I can confirm that it is a cracking drive in either direction, sort of a 'Winnats Pass' on the level, it is to be savoured though, rather than a slaughter up a steep hill.

DSC01158.JPG.157f0f90135683a3c0aaab620c7cf057.JPG

DSC01159.JPG.9f8f982a839b49f04f4e53bc49958831.JPG

Moving on we passed the Peaks of the Peak District

DSC01169.JPG.32dddddf0c8efd9d68e94c68918c89d3.JPG

had some action up the hills when we could and took the back lanes on the high roads, lovely driving and scenic too

DSC01173.JPG.2924a652df165cbe0a6a0b4baad5b1f2.JPG

The big circular road to nowhere actually dropped us only 6 miles away from where we started, for us to sample the marvellous eating houses of Chatsworth. In the summer AND with a big group it is useless to try and get us into these places, they are just too full of tourists, but today they were mine for the taking.

We arrived at our first venue sporting the 'rally car look'. The problem with the back roads is that they are scruffy farmers roads too, but hey, they were there long before us.

DSC01174.JPG.b75bbaf0195399fbf0018328f9368db3.JPG

We parked up in the half empty car park and went into the half empty cafe, great. I think Glen and Bill were trying to work out where the Porsche engine is, it's not under the bonnet, and it's not in here either

DSC01175.JPG.7b5f4863524db49c0d67657107ce4525.JPG

It's defo not in here, but just feel how toasty and warm it is, you could wear your shorts!

DSC01177.JPG.de21779d435213f891ce1be89368ef08.JPG

This is why you can't get in here normally, just look at the size of those humungous dinners, not bad at £10 each.

DSC01180.JPG.5f655ee4454d75a14e03b8c9432f1ce3.JPG 

Now here is a challenge, for those that just can't choose which cake to have, could you eat 4 pieces?

DSC01182.JPG.b55e1d98296e42ff8db66075bafd5615.JPG

And here is the reason why you can't decide

DSC01183.JPG.6e15cf98cc76cf34c046cb6f8d212396.JPG

We were moving on for our dessert though, to another of the Duke of Devonshire's fine establishments on the Chatsworth Estate, parking again in a half empty car park overlooking the beautiful estate village of Pilsley. Andrew's car had run perfectly all day again (remember he has a 2 hour journey each way just to get here so it's a good test) with the help of this fine club Andrew must really pleased with himself. 

DSC01187.JPG.34126dad469088ad42c92acdb3bf2bd8.JPG

We even got a window seat

DSC01192.JPG.ea24ab1e8c28826fa7809afa38c173b5.JPG

Bill decided against 'Roadkill' as his t-shirt might suggest and had a cream tea instead

, as did Glen, while Andrew and I went for the bread and butter pudding with custard

DSC01196.JPG.18aeeea478665c921c219dae776eaf3a.JPG

So here it is, another wonderful cafe in the Peak District, usually full and off limits

Views over to Edensor

DSC01198.JPG.9ba66722a60a77463e772819eaa21617.JPG

Floor to ceiling windows to capture the views

DSC01199.JPG.9f288e61800d0c0cc0a2187b04ebc265.JPG

Neither Andrew or Bill can make it out next weekend (missing you already x) and I am not sure if anyone else is crazy enough available, so if you are hungry for it then drop me a line, Glen and I will be blatting about for sure.

@AndrewBClarke I have not received the email that you have sent  ?

@BillyPee another place to go in the Lake District extra to Lingholm Kitchen is Lancrigg at Grasmere, I forgot to say

• Like 8

Gutted to have missed it, but then today’s shopping expedition was a success! So pleased to have helped a couple of fellow members with their car purchases.

Im around next weekend if there is any revisiting of glorious cakeries to be done!!

• Like 1

Car purchases always make for interesting conversation, why else do we watch Bangers and Cash? so yes, lets eat cake and discuss. The viaduct road should be open and you absolutely need to experience my new road also, I feel a good 'un coming up. 

I will warm the camera up (even though it seems to not be wanting to focus at the mo) and beg Lucy Verasarmy to see us right.

• Like 1