Newbie - considering autotests

Zipboingarialwhoop

Hi everyone.

I am considering a bog standard Sport, as my entry to Westfield ownership.

i will do the odd track day but I am also considering the odd production auto test, maybe getting the kids involved as well when they are old enough.

will a bog standard car be ok for a bit of fun. Not looking to be competitive just have a laugh or 2. 

I suppose a lsd would be the first worthwhile upgrade though...

cheers Zip

• Like 1

Hello and welcome. 

Can’t offer any advice about auto tests as I know absolutely zip about them!

Just wondering what your idea of “bog standard” is though - not sure there’s actually such a thing with our cars! 😁

Welcome from up here in Scotland,

again can’t offer much advice on auto testing but we’re a friendly bunch and I’m sure some advice will be along soon 

Hi Zip and welcome.

I used to do the occasional AutoSolo and Autotest in a "standard" road going Seiw with an Sierra open diff and never felt the need for an lsd. Drifting/doughnuts around cones etc are easily achievable and controllable. You may even find an lsd induces a bit too much push/understeer on slow, tight courses. 

The best thing to do is have a go.

More advice will be along soon I'm sure.

Good luck

Warren

A 1.6litre engine will be nice and revy around short courses, coupled with diff ratio around 4 to 1.   Not sure about an LSD axle though, best try an open diff first and see how it suits.

Engines you need to look out for are Toyota 1.6 4age: 1.6 Zetec: 1.6 Vauxhall: 1.8 MX5.  And s light nimble car.

I have done a stack load of autotests and autosolos in my car, which is a fairly standard narrowbody, and had an absolutely great time of it and would recommend to anyone. I now have a quaife atb type diff but its not essential. The only thing that might catch you out is the sticky rubber is not permitted, it needs to be a 'List 1A' production tyre which rules out some of the semi-slicks etc we often use.

To find a local club, get onto the MSA's GoMotorsport site and it will give you a lost of clubs, which you can filter by location and 'autotesting' and fire off some emails. Different clubs offer slightly different events, but most will offer either club level 'autotests' and or forwards only 'autosolos' which will typically be dual-permit events to allow 'pca' production car autotest rules/classes as well which includes drivers from 14 years old, grass/evening events during summer are also common. Entry fees are £25 for a whole day, and fuel/wear is very mangable. 

If you want to go further there are various national events run by the BTRDA, the national Autosolos are very approachable in a standard car (small hatch, mx5, kitcar) and a friendly bunch including mixed abilities. National Autotests have got a bit more technical these days, reasonable memory tests with a lot of specials and some very good driving, however assuming your handbrake works you can still get one of our cars around the courses once you have a bit of a eye in after a season or two of club level events or the like, again everyone is super friendly and out to have a good time. 

Links below for ref.

Daniel

https://www.gomotorsport.net/New-Find-Clubs-and-Events/Motor-Sport-Clubs

https://www.gomotorsport.net/New-Get-Involved/Types-of-Motor-Sport/Autotest

https://www.gomotorsport.net/New-Get-Involved/Types-of-Motor-Sport/AutoSOLO

https://btrda.com/championship/autosolo/

https://btrda.com/championship/autotest/

14 hours ago, SootySport said:

A 1.6litre engine will be nice and revy around short courses, coupled with diff ratio around 4 to 1.   Not sure about an LSD axle though, best try an open diff first and see how it suits.

I actually found with setup the 4 : 1 was worse then my 3.9 : 1 as it reduced top end speed without really helping elsewhere, typically you do the whole course in one gear, in wet weather I often set off in 2nd even.

On 21/01/2020 at 14:51, dhutch said:

I actually found with setup the 4 : 1 was worse then my 3.9 : 1 as it reduced top end speed without really helping elsewhere, typically you do the whole course in one gear, in wet weather I often set off in 2nd even.

Correction, the diff I had fitted which was too low was a 4.4 : 1 ratio.