Heating elements in rear screen corroded

chriss1455

Has anyone ever heard of dog saliva being able to corrode the heating elements in a rear windscreen? 

My dads bought an S5 convertible just before christmas and 4 of the elements have corroded probably 2 inches wide in a perfect straight line. Had it into audi today and they are saying that its caused by dog saliva.

All sounds a bit too strange to me and with a replacement costing just shy of £5500 obviously want to know if its legit or wether there just filling him with any bull they can

Sounds a bit strange to me.

I've had large dogs for 25 years plus and they are always drooling over the rear window, the vehicle count is about 14 not including the other friends/hire vehicles frequented.

In that time none of the rear screens have had any issues by the dogs(a couple got damaged by machinery).

I think what they will be claiming is that when cleaning inside rear screens most manufacturers state water as the only liquid to be used, without additives unless their own recommended variants.

I would look into their warranty and maintenance blurb to see how they are avoiding the issue, also have a word with trading standards although motor vehicles are the one area that have little control over.

Hes been on the phone to where he bought it from (a different main dealer audi) and they agreed that it sounds like there trying to sting him. He has it back there on saturday so they can look.

I just thought it was a strange reason to give

Sounds like a shaggy dog story to me 😀

• Haha 4