Front brake pads

K17 CAR

On 16/01/2020 at 21:06, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

Only when you have tried some of the really good pads do you realise how bad the others really are. I wouldn't use Mintex 1144 personally 😉

So, what would you use? 

16 hours ago, dhutch said:

So, what would you use? 

Nicks requirements are quite different to yours. What calipers have you got? Have a look at the Hawk range and see if they do anything to fit. DTC30 are a great pad as is HB Plus

On 08/02/2020 at 22:53, dhutch said:

So, what would you use? 

As John has said I would start with DTC30 for a Westfield, which are a very good pad, you are looking for a pad which gives you feedback through the pedal as well as actual stopping power. I'm running a single seater with wings and a lot of downforce so the braking power required is quite a bit higher and I've now moved up to the carbon ceramic pads with good results. Pads which I have found work well but are only for track use are Willwood Polymatrix A Pad, Performance Friction 01. Superb stopping power from cold yet good feel and release parameters. 

My point really is don't get complacent with pad materials and use the old Mintex 1144 because it's been OK. There have been some really good improvements over recent years and for relatively low cost (compared to what people spend on engines) you can get good improvements in one of the other really important parts of car performance, stopping ;)  So experiment, try things out, see what works.

3 hours ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

My point really is don't get complacent with pad materials and use the old Mintex 1144 because it's been OK. There have been some really good improvements over recent years and for relatively low cost (compared to what people spend on engines) you can get good improvements in one of the other really important parts of car performance, stopping ;)  So experiment, try things out, see what works.

Really good point Nick, and i’d add “Learn to brake properly” for the trackdayers

A lot of us, myself most definelty included, don’t use the brakes as effectively as we could. 

8 hours ago, RussH said:

Really good point Nick, and i’d add “Learn to brake properly” for the trackdayers

A lot of us, myself most definelty included, don’t use the brakes as effectively as we could. 

It's interesting, driving a car with downforce makes you realise what power really effective brakes can have on a car and opens your mind to things a lot more. You can pull more G braking than you can cornering. 4G is the most I have seen, but it's better to explain it relative to a corner, at Anglesy circuit in my Westfield which was pretty quick I would be doing approx 100mph coming up to the hairpin and daring myself not to brake until I reached the 100 metre board, generally failing and braking a bit before. The Gould would be doing 150mph and you could easily brake just after the 100m board and still make the corner. All of course down to the downforce of the car and the power in the brakes. 

Gould 2010 at Anglesy

On 09/02/2020 at 15:29, John said:

Nicks requirements are quite different to yours. What calipers have you got? Have a look at the Hawk range and see if they do anything to fit. DTC30 are a great pad as is HB Plus

17 hours ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

As John has said I would start with DTC30 for a Westfield, which are a very good pad, you are looking for a pad which gives you feedback through the pedal as well as actual stopping power. I'm running a single seater with wings and a lot of downforce so the braking power required is quite a bit higher and I've now moved up to the carbon ceramic pads with good results. Pads which I have found work well but are only for track use are Willwood Polymatrix A Pad, Performance Friction 01. Superb stopping power from cold yet good feel and release parameters. 

Ok great.

I was really asking for the OP (7600 AP calipers) but I have the M16's on mine.

Daniel

• Like 1