TomW

Honda Proof of engine age

TomW

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a nightmare around gathering some evidence on the proof of age for my s2000 engine.  I don't have the logbook of the donor vehicle and I seem to be stuck behind the generic customer service wall with Honda trying to get them to confirm the age of the engine by the f20c serial code.  Thought I'd ask here if anyone has any ideas on how I can prove the age of the engine?

I have some information on the original vehicle like service history etc original vin,  strangely though I cant find any reference to the engine number that Honda refer to on the block,  they seem to quote the last few numbers of the vin as an engine number and not the f20c number?

Any help or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Without wanting to ask a daft question, but what do you need it for? Has something changed at IVA, or is it for something else?

I don’t recall any S2000 builders so far saying they had to provide proof of age. The car, if built using Westfield parts is built to the appropriate current emissions spec, proof of age is only usually required when trying to IVA a car that doesn’t meet current emissions, and you are trying to get it approved to the standards in place when the engine was made.

TomW

Hi Dave,

It was suggested to me that without proof of engine age the car would get tested to EURO 6 rather than the emission test for the engine?

My car is a full kit that I brought new from WF in 2018 except the engine and gearbox which were from a s2000 donor vehicle 52 plate.  ECU, cat etc are all from WF. not sure if this would pass current emissions?

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
18 minutes ago, TomW said:

Hi Dave,

It was suggested to me that without proof of engine age the car would get tested to EURO 6 rather than the emission test for the engine?

My car is a full kit that I brought new from WF in 2018 except the engine and gearbox which were from a s2000 donor vehicle 52 plate.  ECU, cat etc are all from WF. not sure if this would pass current emissions?

Whoever suggested that is wrong. You will pass IVA emmissions with the Omex Ecu and Westfield cat.

You'll need some advise closer to as to obtaining a build year plate, but you'll be fine for IVA.

TomW

Thanks Ian,

In the final build stages now so just starting to look at paperwork etc but the emissions has had me panicked slightly!

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

As Ian said, they’re wrong. Probably looking at production car info. The Westfield supplied ECU and exhaust system, (which between them includes cat and lambda probe) is all that’s needed.

TableLeg

Without wanting to confuse things I see some issues, namely that having not bought the engine and gearbox from Westfield (exactly the same as I did) means he will not get a certificate of newness and without the original log book will only be able to go the Q plate route (again like me).

This surely means he will also have to provide engine age proof (as I did) at IVA no?

Steve (sdh2903)

You dont HAVE to have a cert of newness to get a new plate. But you may have to be creative and probably not a discussion for a public forum. 

At iva I was asked about engine age and I didnt have any proof. The tester just said that's fine it's a cat test then. 

As far as I was aware you only need to prove engine age if your trying to get a more lenient emissions test.

You would obviously need to have receipts or documents for the registration process depending on whether going new, age related or Q

TableLeg
37 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

At iva I was asked about engine age and I didnt have any proof. The tester just said that's fine it's a cat test then.

By comparison I was asked to produce proof of the engine age for emissions testing (which I did). This then subsequently provided the emissions code on the IVA certificate (A0H).

39 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

As far as I was aware you only need to prove engine age if your trying to get a more lenient emissions test.

That would make sense, I wasn't aware I didn't need to prove the age of the engine. I was asked several times pre IVA when speaking to the DVSA.

42 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

You would obviously need to have receipts or documents for the registration process depending on whether going new, age related or Q

To clarify this point (as it has changed since I built my last car and I wasn't aware), to get a new plate all components must be new supplied by the manufacturer with the exception of only one major component which can be reconditioned to as new condition (proof will be required).

With all parts new except my engine (which was used) the DVSA informed me I could go the Q plate route.

Steve (sdh2903)

Here's the flow chart. If no match provided it's a cat test (which it will be anyway for your engine) Screenshot_20200101-184000_Drive.thumb.jpg.795089940ec546f34064231db149cff6.jpg

1 hour ago, TableLeg said:

To clarify this point (as it has changed since I built my last car and I wasn't aware), to get a new plate all components must be new supplied by the manufacturer with the exception of only one major component which can be reconditioned to as new condition (proof will be required).

With all parts new except my engine (which was used) the DVSA informed me I could go the Q plate route.

Yes it's been that way for a while now. It just depends on whether your hung up on not having a Q or if you want to get a new plate. 

Theres a lot of ambiguity around what is refurbished to 'as new'? Does all new belts, filters plugs etc take it back to 'as new'? Or are they expecting a complete rebuild? I have asked a friendly dvsa inspector this question and he shrugged and said "depends who you ask at the dvla" 

I applied for a new plate on the sport 250 and provided all engine receipts with all replacement details of new sump, plugs, filters, clutch, intake etc and it was never questioned.

TableLeg
2 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Theres a lot of ambiguity around what is refurbished to 'as new'? Does all new belts, filters plugs etc take it back to 'as new'? Or are they expecting a complete rebuild? I have asked a friendly dvsa inspector this question and he shrugged and said "depends who you ask at the dvla" 

I applied for a new plate on the sport 250 and provided all engine receipts with all replacement details of new sump, plugs, filters, clutch, intake etc and it was never questioned.

I agree Steve, in my experience it certainly does seem that there is no consistency between various people both in the DVLA and DVSA. As you say it really depends on who you speak to.

I'm going to call the DVSA again tomorrow.....

Steve (sdh2903)

Are you looking for a new plate or happy to go for a q Jared?

TableLeg
13 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Are you looking for a new plate or happy to go for a q Jared?

Originally a Q as I though at MOT time it would be treated as Pre 1975 but now that is no longer the case as the required emissions get added to the V5 (based on class code on the IVA cert) I figured there was no benefit to going Q if I could get a new plate. DVSA said as my engine was used I couldn't go new plate.....

Steve (sdh2903)

Yeah sadly no 'visible smoke' only for q plates anymore.