Track Day Advice

NickBW

14 hours ago, Hawkemotorsport said:

If you are going to attend and take part in your first track day then firstly I would make sure your car has had a recent service, any oil leaks fixed, recent brake fluid change and make sure you have a descent amount of pad and Tyre life left etc.

Dont worry about spending money upgrading the parts on your car before you go but make sure the car is in good order before you go, you know common sense. You hear so many say they get through a set of pads and tyres on a track day, and while this is true with some track day veterans you are very unlikely to do the same on your first track day.

Most track day organizers have instructors on the day (usually free) and getting an instructor alongside you in your car telling you where to brake, where to keep your foot in and position your car etc will be the most sensible thing to do and you will be amazed at what you, and your car can do when you get your lines right.

The other thing is keep calm, I have seen so many people on their first track day nervous as hell and it shows when on track. Dont worry but just get used to the track first, do a few laps at moderate pace, track day rules means no overtaking in the corners and if the other drivers obey the rules you wont need to worry about what the other drivers are doing behind you as they should position themselves safely.

If the person is clearly faster than you the track marshals should see this and you "should" be shown a blue flag, if this is the case then just keep your pace the same and when on a straight pop your indicator on to show that you are going to pull off the racing line and let them by, they will appreciate that, once done if they are struggling to overtake you then just let off the throttle a little to enable them to pass. If you notice someone coming up fast behind you in your mirrors and there is no flag then just do the same, indicate and then pull off the racing line calmly when its safe to do so.

Once you get used to the layout of the track, then pick up the pace a little at a time, no one is timing you and its all about having fun. If you are at a large circuit like Silverstone GP then because the track is so wide you can get a false representation of speed and you can easily go barrelling into a corner faster than you feel comfortable doing. So its important to just build up slowly.

I always found that for a new person on track, the best thing to do is to go out on the warm up laps (most organizers do this) this is 2 or 3 laps where everyone gets to check out the layout of the circuit at a moderate pace. Then as soon as you are able get an instructor in with you. He will tell you how to get your car around the circuit quickly and safely. Then when you break for lunch see if you can get the same instructor to hop back in the car with you when the afternoon session starts he can then tell you how you are doing and see where or if any improvement can be made.

The most important thing is to have fun and to build up at your own pace. Dont worry about being overtaken.. after a few track days this wont happen so much.

Some great advice there.

The only thing I would add is after the sighting laps everyone is very keen to get out on track straight away, and it can all get a bit mad with a lot of cars on track on cold tyres. I usually sit out the first 15 mins, watch the other cars for awhile and then go out when things have calmed down a bit and there is a bit more space on track.

Also to pace yourself and just do a few laps at a time to give yourself and the car a breather. Usually by mid afternoon a lot of people have started to drift off home for one reason or another, and it’s not uncommon to find yourself as one of the only cars on track.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SootySport said:

Nick, You do know your local Essex Boyz are keen track day stars, don’t you?

Nick come with us to snetterton is great, Bernie and dean are both quick around there and will show you the lines, there is nothing to worry about

• Thanks 1

Thanks all

Stuart, do you know when's the next snetteron is scheduled?

Merry Christmas all

23 hours ago, NickBW said:

Thanks all

Stuart, do you know when's the next snetteron is scheduled?

Merry Christmas all

When it’s warmer and drier 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would also add when you start feeling cocky, usually in the late afternoon, go home.  You will likely be tired and other than early in the day this is the time when you are most likely to push that bit too hard.  

But to reinforce the above just go with a relaxed attitude and have fun.  Use you mirrors and let others past, observe the quick guys and you will probably note they are the ones that are precise and smooth.  Copy this 😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, the stoat said:

I would also add when you start feeling cocky, usually in the late afternoon, go home

Maybe someone should invent a gauge for this.. a cockometer? .. wonder where the sender should be placed. 😀

• Haha 1

I’m guilty of being Cocky as well, Some of my finest Moments are in the late afternoon.

On 07/01/2020 at 19:54, the stoat said:

I would also add when you start feeling cocky, usually in the late afternoon, that’s when you’ll have the most fun.

Fixed that for you

• 1 month later...

Some tuition is good, but agree I wouldn't have it all day, do a few laps alone, few with someone, few alone again. Don't sit about waiting for the day to pass, but don't worry about getting every single lap you can if your getting tired. As said, some days have free tuition, which will be ample for you first day in my experience. 

Snetterton is a nice track.

Our cars get a much easier time on track than a heavy tintop, and should be find 'out of the box' so to speak, but obviously if there are things you have been meaning to get around to, do it before it lets go not after. Oil leaks are right out, you will need a 1litre catch tank on breathers usually, old brake fluid may well ruin your day so change it if you don't know the age, and you will probably do a years work of tyre/brake wear, and more than a tank of fuel. Bring some basic tools, small/obvious spares, and a jerry can or two of fuel if you have the cans as it saves time and cost.

Know the noise limit of the day, and the likelihood of you passing that. If at all worried, have a considered backup plan for brutal cheap noise reduction tail pipes etc.

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

If you're in Essex and you want a safe place to learn then North Weald Airfield do Car Limits days where they help you explore the limits of your car and yourself.  I think you share an instructor between a couple of cars.   Not a "circuit" per se but a good step towards a proper track day and bucket loads of run off.  Depends how confident you're feeling jumping straight on to a circuit.  I'd avoid the longer ones like Silverstone GP or Brands GP as they'll take too long to learn on your first try and you'll have more than enough to think about believe me!

The other piece of information to consider is whether it's an open pit lane (ie a free for all for all abilities) or run in sessions for novice, intermediate and experts so you run with drivers of equal ability.  These sometimes turn into open pit lane in the afternoon but hopefully you will have found your feet by then.

And as said above get an instructor in as soon as possible, avoid the first 15 minutes of nutterdom, use your mirrors as this is a common error for nubies fixating on what's in front of them and avoid the dreaded "just one more lap" and quit while you're ahead and your cars in one piece. 

Oh yes and don't under estimate how tiring it can be having to concentrate even for short periods of time quite so intently.  Take breaks for you and the car and stay hydrated.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1