Track Day Advice

NickBW

Having had the Westfield now for a year, i am interested to get some Track Days booked.

Only ever done karting and the odd "super" car experiences, i am feeling nervous about hitting the track.

I feel i would benefit from a tuition day, do these exist? 

Someone to take me through what i should and shouldnt be doing on the track and how to drive on the track?

Im in Essex if location helps

Thanks

Most trackday companies provide tuition sessions, and IMO a better investment than power upgrades.

I'd try to join some fellow club members at a trackday first to become familiar with circuits first...before tuition..

I'm sure people will be happy to take you as a passenger and or sit with you as you passenger while you learn

• Like 1

Hi Nick, good decision, they really come alive on track.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of "Airfield days" so I'd be looking at somewhere with plenty of run off should it go awry, Blyton Park and Bedford are ideal to pop your cherry. Some (most?) organisers offer tuition - I think a full day is probably overkill, they come in 20 min sessions usually, so I'd probably do 20 mins early in the morning and 20 mins in the afternoon once you know the track.

If you do a day with some other club members I'm sure they'd happily take you out to show you which way the track goes and possibly come out as a passenger to give you some tips.

Have fun!

• Like 3

Oh and controversially if you do get other club members to show you the ropes, make sure you choose the fast ones! Pointless picking up other people’s bad habits 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

Oh and controversially if you do get other club members to show you the ropes, make sure you choose the fast ones! Pointless picking up other people’s bad habits 😄

Yeah “let’s off-road” 🤣

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Yeah “let’s off-road” 🤣

To find the limit you have to go over it once in a while!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

To find the limit you have to go over it once in a while!

Not sure what you mean mate...

GOPR1063.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

Its impressive to fall off at the speed you go!

I know - it took some (lack of) skill I can tell you

• Like 2

I think airfield tracks ok to start with for learning but often rough on car due to broken tarmac or stones..

I think depending on your disposition Bedford, snetterton would be ok to start on..and just drive at your own pace...

As long as the car is in good condition..tyres, brakes and noise level then just go for it... It helps if it is dry rather than wet...

Tuition is a definite help and maybe once you have done some sessions in the car and getting confidence then go for it..

Once you start you will love it!

On 17/12/2019 at 13:49, NickBW said:

Having had the Westfield now for a year, i am interested to get some Track Days booked.

Only ever done karting and the odd "super" car experiences, i am feeling nervous about hitting the track.

If you've never attended a trackday, there's nothing stopping you just spectating at one as a first step. (Most if not all are free to spectate) You could even sit in on the morning briefing and get an idea of how it all works. Take a crash helmet with you and you could possibly blag the odd ride.

If you are going to attend and take part in your first track day then firstly I would make sure your car has had a recent service, any oil leaks fixed, recent brake fluid change and make sure you have a descent amount of pad and Tyre life left etc.

Dont worry about spending money upgrading the parts on your car before you go but make sure the car is in good order before you go, you know common sense. You hear so many say they get through a set of pads and tyres on a track day, and while this is true with some track day veterans you are very unlikely to do the same on your first track day.

Most track day organizers have instructors on the day (usually free) and getting an instructor alongside you in your car telling you where to brake, where to keep your foot in and position your car etc will be the most sensible thing to do and you will be amazed at what you, and your car can do when you get your lines right.

The other thing is keep calm, I have seen so many people on their first track day nervous as hell and it shows when on track. Dont worry but just get used to the track first, do a few laps at moderate pace, track day rules means no overtaking in the corners and if the other drivers obey the rules you wont need to worry about what the other drivers are doing behind you as they should position themselves safely.

If the person is clearly faster than you the track marshals should see this and you "should" be shown a blue flag, if this is the case then just keep your pace the same and when on a straight pop your indicator on to show that you are going to pull off the racing line and let them by, they will appreciate that, once done if they are struggling to overtake you then just let off the throttle a little to enable them to pass. If you notice someone coming up fast behind you in your mirrors and there is no flag then just do the same, indicate and then pull off the racing line calmly when its safe to do so.

Once you get used to the layout of the track, then pick up the pace a little at a time, no one is timing you and its all about having fun. If you are at a large circuit like Silverstone GP then because the track is so wide you can get a false representation of speed and you can easily go barrelling into a corner faster than you feel comfortable doing. So its important to just build up slowly.

I always found that for a new person on track, the best thing to do is to go out on the warm up laps (most organizers do this) this is 2 or 3 laps where everyone gets to check out the layout of the circuit at a moderate pace. Then as soon as you are able get an instructor in with you. He will tell you how to get your car around the circuit quickly and safely. Then when you break for lunch see if you can get the same instructor to hop back in the car with you when the afternoon session starts he can then tell you how you are doing and see where or if any improvement can be made.

The most important thing is to have fun and to build up at your own pace. Dont worry about being overtaken.. after a few track days this wont happen so much.

• Like 4