Made me laugh--Count Binface.

DonPeffers

06 Dec 2019   https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-new-live-boris-johnson-andrew-neil-interview-itv-corbyn-a9235241.html  

General election news.

Jo Swinson and Jeremy Corbyn say EU nationals living in UK and those aged 16 years and above should vote in 2nd EU referendum (which would differ from the first referendum format!?).

On the Boris front......Count Binface said he took the PM’s place at a hustings event in Uxbridge last night. 

5 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

06 Dec 2019   https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-new-live-boris-johnson-andrew-neil-interview-itv-corbyn-a9235241.html  

General election news.

Jo Swinson and Jeremy Corbyn say EU nationals living in UK and those aged 16 years and above should vote in 2nd EU referendum (which would differ from the first referendum format!?).

So if 16 year olds can Vote, does it mean that face Adult Criminal justice as obviously they must be Adults to Vote ?? Answers on the back of a postage stamp.

• Thanks 1

Transparent and obvious attempt to grab votes because both Corbyn and Swinson know they are going to lose. They were ganging up, along with the SNP last week saying that they would have a coalition government if there was a hung parliament, which to me simply confirms they are weak(er that the Tories) and that they recognise the only way to power is to combine forces. A Labour/Lib-dem/SNP coalition could be the worst thing for UK politics since... well since before Magna Carta :oops: 

Giving the vote to 16 year olds is madness. try to engage with many and they have no idea of how things work, instead they get their advice of Youtube influencers.

Clearly they will in the main vote for Labour or the Greens as it is easy to be idealistic when others are picking up the bill hence Labour is pushing it so hard.

As for EU citizens living here, if they have dual citizen ship then no, if they have become naturalised here then yes.

Another area where some are crying foul is those Ex pats, some get a vote still, even though they pay nothing here and those who have been away for 15 years or more do not get the vote, which seems fair enough to me.

I have hear more bleating about the voting system this time than ever before, I like the first past the post system, it works well in the main. Witness all the other EU countries with PR, it produces more horse trading to get the basics done and with a single flounce a coalition leader can stop the country governing and like Italy who have had 61 different Governments since 1945, we have had 18.

I just want this over so we can move on 

13 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

As for EU citizens living here, if they have dual citizen ship then no, if they have become naturalised here then yes.

Well... if those citizens have correctly applied for and been granted dual nationality then I think that is fair enough. If the reverse was applied by the EU I know there are likely to be thousands of dual UK/Spain , UK/France, UK/Germany and UK/Holland ex-pats who would cry foul. I'm sure there are others but I have direct experience of these countries.

If you are living in the country paying taxes then why should you have a vote in two countries? As I understand it that is what they are raging about, many EX pats who like living in Spain are fearful that their way of life will change, so want a say in the UK's way of life.

It is a way to rig the election to get the second referendum so many desperately want. If people want to live here and integrate in the UK then fine, but it seems too many want their cake and eat it 

When the question of ex-pats and non-doms comes up I have often thought that if a person wants dual-nationality, specifically the option to hold two passports then they pay taxes in both countries. I do appreciate that that is going to be seen a grossly unfair and it isn't workable. But the point is, make it law. Then people will choose a passport and whichever  legal, tax and domicile system suits them best and pay appropriately.

I often ruminate on parking fines in the same way. Parking fines are low enough that people risk it and high enough to make councils employ people or technology to gather them because enough people take the risk. Change the law. Make parking fines, say... 5 grand. Make them un-fightable in a court, a bit like getting rear-ended. See how many folks chance it then. Of course, councils lose revenue and will have to lay off workers but it means no parking means no parking.

I forgot to mention as well that during the initial Brexit frenzy thousands of people were looking for heritage they could trace back to the RoI so they could get an "EU" passport. I'm sure they would have something to say on the dual nationality question as well, having spent time and, more importantly money, on jumping through the hoops to get dual nationality. I am lucky enough to have some RoI ancestry. Have I got a second passport? No, of course not. It's ridiculous.