2 westy honda power

fil46

Whatr a big difference in top end between the 2 wheel sizes,  13" always looks better on a westie IMO!!

1 hour ago, fil46 said:

as for engine upgrades not much I think, it's on a Emerald k3 ecu looked at itb's but bang for buck it's got me thinking supercharger is way forward, turbo not much good for racing for temps and power delivery. going to get her dynoed to see what's what's, with a dry sump removing some windage ect  maybe 240bhp could be seen for now that would do till I get other things done and get back up to speed in a westy

You're probably around the 225-230bhp at the moment. I'm getting 250 with ITB's.

Take care with the diff swap. Others have tried and regretted going the wrong way. I'm on the 3.92 Ford one. @Stu Faulkner and @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary will have words of advice for you.

Given you want it for road use, you don't want it reving to high at cruising speeds. I'm happy with my 3.92.

How is your Vtec programmed? The factory provided Omex 630 lowers it to 4600rpm for engagement (with throttle above 30%). Rather than the 6000 or so RPM as per the Honda original design.

image.png.359b98273d469109d3400cc83a7e2bed.png

Have you included for the primary reduction gear in your calc. With the 3.62 diff and 205/50/15. I calc.

image.png.4652314028c6698e50240db802f83cb7.png

Here's my diff:

image.png.9b9328cbfb90cd19f4133961d06e514e.png

I've seen circa 129mph on the ring (I was looking at the road / nutters in ring cars, not my Speed). My dash showed me the peak value afterwards!

image.png.57b01e4091d81aa4c25183fa69398d51.png

59 minutes ago, NickBW said:

Whatr a big difference in top end between the 2 wheel sizes,  13" always looks better on a westie IMO!!

Sorry @NickBW It's the diff change not the tyres/wheel as you'll see the circumferences are virtually identical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The other thing you have to watch for on a road going Westfield, is where that VTEC point is falling when you're "just driving", if you're not careful, between the lowered cut in resvs, (which generally, are  a good thing), and final drive ratio, it can come in smack in the cruising range when on the motorway, fast A roads etc, leading to a wee bit of hunting. It can also be a bit of an annoyance if traveling in convoy on long trips - on our European travels, I have to warn my travel buddies to keep below around 85 on the ahem, Autobahn, when we're cruising along, as otherwise, I go into VTEC and we'd have to stop every five minutes for fuel! (3.92 dif)

Personally, I've grown to really dislike the 3.92, and if I'd been staying NA, would have gone 3.62 instead. (I've actually decided to experiment and try a 3.38, but, then I have the benefit of the supercharger to fill back some of the torque, that the more extreme ratio will "blunt" for me.

I take note of all that you have said and it is a concern for me to. vtec is a about 4850 I think and jollying along may be a problem, however I have a switch on my dash for different maps on the ecu so did think about getting one with vtec set at 6000 also I have a spare 3.6 diff that I could put in when not at the track

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fil46 said:was spitting flames at  me out the top it was so cool I tell you good to see him giving it some not many would.  hope to see him again after winter upgrades he will be surprised may be.

IMG_1929 (2).JPG

I though exactly the same as you and did the maths and fitted a 4.27 diff. 
massive mistake. 
70 mph was at about 4000 rpm which got really tiresome and to the point of annoying and first, second and third gears are over in an instant. Quite often I wouldn’t even use first gear.

Going by your calculations sixth gear will be 73mph @ 4500rpm assuming you used 9000rpm as your max. 
I swapped it for a 3.62 and didn’t notice a drop in acceleration as the gears lasted longer. 
I had to take off my cage and the rear of the Fw body To swap it out but it was worth it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fil46 said:

spare 3.6 diff that I could put in when not at the track

Now that’s commitment! Took me ages to get my diff in and out recently to fit the quaife ATB!

• Like 1

I am lucky where I live and don't see much motorway on a jolly, I have the head phones in a wear a lid so engine revs don't bother me that much for me it's all about performance, the honda unit make's all its hp up top so you need to keep it singing imo, 3.9 was my next option for a road diff but may just stick with 3.6.

Fuel tank and frame out and the diff is out in about 30 mins for me

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I know that car. Been around Austria with us 😁

And my god has it changed

20 hours ago, fil46 said:

I am lucky where I live and don't see much motorway on a jolly, I have the head phones in a wear a lid so engine revs don't bother me that much for me it's all about performance, the honda unit make's all its hp up top so you need to keep it singing imo, 3.9 was my next option for a road diff but may just stick with 3.6.

Fuel tank and frame out and the diff is out in about 30 mins for me

You've done well to get the tank out with the cage and bodywork on. I won't tell @Stu Faulkner 🤪