SSD 1TB 3.5 hard drive

Kevin Pullen

Looking to replace existing hard drive In My Dell pc in the study, any recommendations on where to look plus do I need any special software to copy what’s in existing drive onto the SSD

If its windows 10 you can create a bootable image on a flash stick.   There’s options to be a bare operating system, include installed programs  and with files.

It’s nice to do a fresh install free from all the slowness.   

• Like 1

If you are wanting to clone the windows drive you'll need to partition the new drive to the same size. Then create a second partition for the remaining space.

I'd recommend Macrium reflect (free).

• Like 1

Not sure I wasn’t to clone the current HDD as will probably want to lose some of the old crap but want to keep iTunes music I’ve uploaded onto the PC and photos etc current drive is still working  hoping to do it myself 

No Maplins anymore

If you don’t want to clone the original drive, then you don’t need any special software. TBH, starting with a fresh OS install is always a good idea but it’s going to be more work than a simple clone. New drive, fresh OS install, plug old drive in alongside new one, drag and drop the files you want to keep.

In a previous life (and occasionally when they ask me to come back to work) I used Symantec Ghost for this sort of task. I set up a server based system using Ghost Solution Suite to deploy many machine images at once, which is way OTT for a single machine drive swap of course, but the core executables are the same, and although a bit cryptic, work really well. Not free though.

13 hours ago, Kevin Pullen - WSCC Treasurer said:

Not sure I wasn’t to clone the current HDD as will probably want to lose some of the old crap but want to keep iTunes music I’ve uploaded onto the PC and photos etc current drive is still working  hoping to do it myself 

No Maplins anymore

Try Mymemory.co.uk

Found a decent Samsung 1TB that looks ok thanks for the heads up 

Are you talking desktop or laptop, if desktop why not add a new SSD, in the region of 256Gb and then just install OS and apps on that drive then use your original disk for a data drive. It's quite good practice to separate data and OS/Apps.

I've currently got 2 SSDs and 2 normal drives in my desktop SSD 1 has windows 7 and I've recently added another SDD with a clean install of win 10 I can boot into either and check/export app configurations when switching from the old Win 7 installation to the new Win 10.

I've then a 2TB drive for data (pictures, videos etc) and 1TB drive for my iTunes library. I used to have a basic bootable OS on my D drive, just in case.

Edit, I have had disks fail in the past including 1 SSD which is why I like to keep some separation.

Also the SSDs I use are 2.5 " and are supported in a 2.5" to 3.5" converter

Bought a 1TB Ssd waiting for mount to turn up

Was intending putting everything on the one drive, it’s a desktop that’s got windows 10 on it 

If you have two drives and the O/S supports it you could RAID them so that both HDD's are direct copies of each other.

I also agree with Rhett, using a new SD HDD for the O/S and apps and the old drive for storage.

I have used Acronis for cloning because there is no need to have the drives match sizes, so no partitioning required if one HDD is larger than the other.

See what the manufacturer of your drive has on their website. I've had a Seagate usb drive for some time, and I downloaded some free cloning/set up software from their website. I've  used it add new drives and as long as the software detects at least one Seagate drive attached to the pc it'll work on other makes of drive.

Gary