Change of steering wheel

Mark Bishop

Mark Bishop

Hi all

Help and advise please?    i have a 1998 SEiW factory built with the original steering wheel (300mm) on it. I was thinking of changing to a Momo team wheel 280mm as i like the look. Will this work ok do you think?

Also do you know what boss i need? i am unsure as to where the original upper rack is from? i would ideally like a quick release one. Any recommendations?

What problems am i likely to encounter?

Many thanks

Mark Bishop

Thanks. That looks a neat bit of kit, i will look at their site. I just need to find out what steering rack i am going onto??

Kevin (Mr T)
13 hours ago, Mark Bishop said:

Thanks. That looks a neat bit of kit, i will look at their site. I just need to find out what steering rack i am going onto??

If you go the Playskool route and the rapfix quick release (which I did) all you need to do is send Luke the upper part of the column and he can weld the rapfix connector to a reasonable sum.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mark Bishop said:

Hi all

Help and advise please?    i have a 1998 SEiW factory built with the original steering wheel (300mm) on it. I was thinking of changing to a Momo team wheel 280mm as i like the look. Will this work ok do you think?

Also do you know what boss i need? i am unsure as to where the original upper rack is from? i would ideally like a quick release one. Any recommendations?

What problems am i likely to encounter?

Many thanks

I swapped  for a go race quick release as you can buy the top half of the steering column machined to suit their quick release. I wasnt keen on using a welded on part and the swap is very straight forward

Here's a photo of the original column ( left) and the go race column(right):

20190224_194934.thumb.jpg.2e4e8b21e855070766078e4e991b9929.jpg

Here's the q.r

20190323_105736_001.thumb.jpg.b67076bc902dca421533fb80904ae663.jpg

Here's the underside. As i have a Mota Lita wheel I needed the adaptor ( larger ring of bolts) but you won't need that with the Momo wheel. BTW the q.r unit is also available in black.

20190323_105637.thumb.jpg.9bdbe9e0ae417177c597c812d7c5d391.jpg

• Like 1
TableLeg
On 27/11/2019 at 09:01, neptune said:

I swapped  for a go race quick release as you can buy the top half of the steering column machined to suit their quick release.

I too have the Go Race column and hub (in Black). Excellent bit of kit. I'd highly recommend it.:yes: