Tyres for the winter/wets

Boogie

On 14/11/2019 at 22:07, maurici said:

Why is people so scared with r888??

For wet and damp is one of the best roadlegal tyres you will EVER find. They work SO MUCH BETTER  from the box even in wet and freezing conditions than a normal sportish tyre...

Particularly on a 600kg car.

The only point where r888 will flaw is with floded roads, or BIG puddles where they will struggle to evacuate water due they lack of tread...(and you should not be driving a kit car under this conditions anyway regardless of the tyres) but elsewhere is the best money can buy.

It was my only tyre when sprinting in 2B and my best performances (a few of them) have been in the wet because the tyre is soo good...

I really dont get it. 

(And its been my road tyre forever... in vx220, in clios, in sevens and in MX5)...

I completely agree and would rate AO48s as the same, despite getting very odd looks from people when I say this.  I had to drive from Swindon to Northampton in the snow, I wanted it mapped so booked in advance and the weather should be ok in March.....I woke up to a snow storm!  The AO48s coped with snow and slush without any moments of panic.

11 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

If you get a set after a wet race they are like brand new!

I'm hoping they'll last several wet 'races' round the Peak District following @Julie Hall - Peak District AO or even better, dry too 😎:nope::p😎

• Haha 1

Looking forward to trying the ps3’s and the plan is a new set off 888R’s for the summer as I think my A048’s have done a fair few temp cycles and age could be catching up with them. 

I would like to thank everyone for their helpful reply’s and opinions, one of the things I like about this forum. Not forgetting the humours comments that make us all laugh 😂

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

Toyo have a new tyre in the UK,  a TR1, available in eight 15" sizes. Looks like it'd do the business, as a 4-season fast road tyre anyway.

https://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/new-proxes-tr1

image.png.390a9958d00d9feb35bb8dadb5915610.png

Please try them and let us know- The fact it starts with a T worries me 😱

cheap thoughhttps://direktkauf.idealo.de/portal/shopping/start?osId=3247385662040578093&offerId=3247385662040578093&camp=preisdk2&ref=preisdk2&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=1260479464&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiNnuBRD3ARIsAM8KmlsJLsJF6TAANU--mfSLw4SYM7RhKpC9F-KOGW1oqqiAqPkUhfQx0zAaAqr8EALw_wcB

1 hour ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

starts with a T worries me

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

18 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Please try them and let us know

I've got a near-new set of Rainsport 3's to get through first!

• Haha 1

On 16/11/2019 at 21:24, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I've just picked 4 of 195/50/15 PS3's from Lee Bennett- top geezer! All 4 are 2019 dates and have 7mm. 

image.png.f72d8f2fd7399f41eaeb7bbbdb923dbd.png

This is the 'oldest' one image.png.660f42e475759c6fd08e52d4f06f90c3.png

He's been a pleasure to deal with.

He gets them from a team who compete in the Ginetta Junior Championship. You can read the regs on tyres here and hence why they are avaiable with such little use! https://www.ginetta.com/uploads/downloads/2019-Ginetta-Junior-Regulations-Published-Copy.pdf

I can't wait to get them on and see how much better they are than the T1R's

Just bought a set of these as well - heading up to Chester next Friday to collect, swap out my Nankang Ultrasport NS-2 on Sat and then drive back to Bristol! Judging by the weather forecast I should be able to 'test' them...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigSkyBrad said:

@maurici will be happy to help shred these in a day for you👍

he’s kind like that 👍

49 minutes ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

Just bought a set of these as well - heading up to Chester next Friday to collect, swap out my Nankang Ultrasport NS-2 on Sat and then drive back to Bristol! Judging by the weather forecast I should be able to 'test' them...

I hope you mean Chesterfield else you’ll be about 3 hours west of target 😱 Aren’t you ex mil?

Very true @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO, I am heading up the Chester to see Dad and 'popping over' to Chesterfield to collect on Saturday...return and swap over in/around Chester.

Yes, ex-mil, but as said many times, my men only followed me out of curiosity...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

@maurici will be happy to help shred these in a day for you👍

he’s kind like that 👍

Yes.  If someone local needs tyre service,  im available. 

3 minutes ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

Very true @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Yes, ex-mil, but as said many times, my men only followed me out of curiosity...

Didn’t that have fatal consequences for a certain feline. I’d best shut up 😜

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

I nearly went for these, but the reviews for the ps3’s and the deal off lee Bennett was to good 

• Like 1

OMG! The difference. The A048’s are great in the dry but the grip and confidence the SP3’s give you in the damp. Now to be sensible 😂

• Like 2