Burgled

pistonbroke 2

My house was broken into yesterday and they took my spare key to my VW Passat .

I was out in the car at the time . Cant put her in the garage as my Wessy is in there .

Anticipating a return to swipe the motor with my spare key.

Apart from disconnecting the battery has anybody got any other Ideas  to safegaurd the car.

Is there a way I can have the key re-coded ?

mechanical stuff

Let the tyres down short term, even jack it up and take a wheel off?

Wheel clamp

Disklok steering wheel cover

Security post on the drive

You should be able to have the transponder code for the lost key removed from (for want of a better description), the list of transponder codes stored in the ECU. The standard way this works is the ECU will have upto 3 codes stored, and as you add more keys, the older ones drop out of the list.

1 minute ago, Barnsley John said:

wait with a base ball bat 

sorry thats  not ethical round here 

crossbow

Your best option is to stop by a vw dealership and explain the issue:

There is two things to take in account:

Mechanical key: the key, regardless of the CODE will still open mechanical locks like boots and door locks, and will unlock the steering column if that is the case. You can't prevent that without changing all the locks in the car. It will be expensive and not immediate as you will need to wait till the vw dealer gets hold of a full lock kit for your car (don't really know the model or the year so i may not be an issue if the car has no locks and full comfort access).

Then there is the FOB function and the remote.

That can be wiped from your ECU, and you can re-code only the original one.

That will avoid thieves to use any unlock function, and car starting too, as the car wont recognize the FOB frequency. That is more or less inmediate, and a propper technician should be able to do so in a few minutes.

Hope it makes sense. 

Of course till any of the above measures has been taken, i would suggest to do what its been recommended... like blocking some mechanical devices on the car to avoid it moving. (Wheels off, lock the steering wheel, lock the drive...).

You can get a mobile auto locksmith out. They will be able to check which keys you have, and deactivate the missing key. They can then re-code you a new key for you. Cost about £120 last time i had this done. Doesn't take long to do either

Put my sister-in-law in the passenger seat.  She’s enough to deter anyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Thanks chaps .

Car still on driveway and no sign of entry as yet.

Makes me think the theives are juveniles and dont drive .

Will keep you posted .

Peter

Dont count on it , they are taught twocking in the womb these days 

I have a steering wheel lock somewhere in the garage if you want ?

Are the cops interested in catching these people? Ask if they would be interested in staking out the car for a few days. Or maybe they have their own trackers they could put in there? I have no idea what the police capabilities are but I'd be asking the question...

On 09/11/2019 at 16:45, Blatman said:

Are the cops interested in catching these people? Ask if they would be interested in staking out the car for a few days. Or maybe they have their own trackers they could put in there? I have no idea what the police capabilities are but I'd be asking the question...

The beat guys are but they simply do not have the man power to do that. They find plenty to trawl Facebook etc for mean tweets etc but that is down to direction given to others.

When we were burgled the copper who can said we had done almost everything we could, alarm etc, yet when it went off no one call the police. It is now a monitored system.

He told me his garage was well protected and his Ducati to a ground anchor and the door barred. Imagine his surprise when he found the rear wall had been knocked through and the bike gone.

All you can do is make your house and belongings harder than the next one. As I said our house is alarmed and monitored, all locks highest spec and downstairs windows all laminated glass and safes for keys and watches.

I might have mentioned before but I got on Ebay and found one of my watches for sale, the police arrested the girl who had sold it to the Pawn Shop and the CPS did not want to take it to court, I kicked up a fuss and she was prosecuted and got 150 hours community sentence. She was caught straight after the case shoplifting in Primark but at least she was now looking at a higher sentence.

The worst thing was how my wife felt after being burgled and the time it took get get past that feeling.

There’s the problem really isn’t, they get away with this sort if thing, so keep on doing it, and worse things as they learn there are unlikely to be any consequences.