6 times world champion

Simon Waterfall Syman84

Absolutely unbelievable achievement. 

Some don't like him but you can't take away what he has achieved. 

Well done Lewis 

• Like 8

We Brits love a plucky loser, and then get a bit uppity when a genuine world beater comes along.....finding all sorts of reasons why he's not likeable or not that good lol...

Should go down as one of the greatest f1 drivers ever IMHO, although not a big f1 fan.....much preferred the old style wrc tbh....McRae and Burns...

Mart.

• Like 4

👍👍👍👍🏼👍🏼👍👍🏼👍

love him or hate  he's claiming a position as one of the F1 greats and flying the flag for GB

• Like 4

Time to put the flags up!

B8F7D623-AD2B-4C5C-A7A9-988A96A8C74C.thumb.jpeg.3c8fea8da4a38b4f1864607586178d3b.jpeg

It annoys the neighbours as they support the Red German. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He is a great driver, no question. Whether he is "the all time best" really isn't possible to judge. There have been many really good drivers over the decades, and you can only really compare one with another if they drive, or drove, against each other and even then it depends on how good their respective cars are. However, in Louis's case, it is significant that he has won world championships in 2 different makes of car, and generally speaking has been quicker than his various teammates. So he beat Alonso to the championship and Alonso had been a champion; he was generally quicker than Rosberg, even though Rosberg beat him to the championship one year the records show that Louis had a lot of bad luck with reliability issues and it has to be said one or two self-imposed accidents; and against Bottas, although Bottas has won races including of course the latest one, more often than not Hamilton has beaten Bottas in the races.

Personally, I'm a great fan of Hamilton. The German shoemaker was undoubtedly a great driver. and I would be delighted if Hamilton can get one more world title to match Shuey. Mind you, Max and Charles are both going to be mighty quick and difficult to beat in the next few years, given comparable cars in performance terms. 

• Like 2

He is a natural driver. As others have said, it's impossible to compare with others of the past with any authenticity because so much has changed, but Jim Clark will always be my No.1 for natural ability is everything he drove. Fangio was before my time, and Schumacher was a cheat in at least one of his championships and several races, and certainly did not command the respect his ability deserved for that reason. Bottas seems a decent sort with few signs of tantrum, but Verstappen's behaviour this past weekend lost all respect from me, sorry.

There was a rather mean-spirited interview with Jackie Stewart on 'Today' this morning. He could hardly bring himself to praise Lewis's success without implying it was mainly the cars that were responsible. Poor show 'Sir' Jackie, and very well done Lewis! :praise:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And BIG well done to Lewis from, he WILL go down as one of the all time greats, and he flies our flag to boot.🇬🇧🍾👍

It was also great to hear all the tributes to Niki, saying that Mercedes and Lewis could not have done it without him😢

• Like 2

Its a whole new ball game today , I dont see how anyone  can compare the drivers of the modern F1 cars who have the benefit of all the on board driver aids, overtake button , DRS etc.  plus live technical and mechanical assistance readily available from a small army of background technicians able to provide minute details about every car and track perameter imaginable . Its been proven over and over , in fact practically every race in recent years has been won in the pits not on the track to a point where its become boring to watch

Although it can be said no championship  has been won without a good car , I have to side with JYS when he talks about the car these days being more important than the driver .   

Agreed he is a fantastic driver.

How great if he was allowed to drive other cars such as historic race cars at Goodwood events. His love of driving would be one to see as he adapted his  undoubted skills to a blower Bentley 🙂

• Like 1

I'd like to see him in a Le Mans LMP1. I'm betting the lap record for both quali and the race would come down by quite a bit...

• Like 3

I remember going to watch the British GP in 2006. Lewis was in GP2 (therefore all drivers had the same car) and he overtook 2 cars in one move into Beckett's... It was an epic overtake and the best move of the whole weekend! Some of his drives that season were a delight to watch as he ran rings around some quality young peddlers. 

If you go on YouTube (I'll have to find the link) there's a kart race he did in the wet where he made everyone else look daft!

I agree it's difficult to compare drivers from different era's (my own favourite was Gilles Villeneuve) but he has never had it easy. His team mates have always been world class (Alonso, Button, Rosberg, Bottas) with almost no team orders and parity in the car which makes his achievements all the more impressive.

• Like 2

I think Sir Jackie Stewart has a very valid point.....the Mercedes has been the car to catch for some time. To be honest F1 is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Far more entertaining motorsport in RallyX, Rallying, Moto GP , WSB and British superbikes etc 

He is a very good driver. No questions asked here.

And he is been really good since... forever: an example: istambul 2006. (If you have never seen this race... take a brew, send it to the tv, have some paper roll on hand, you are likely to need it and enjoy...)

The older he gets the more mature he becomes. Excellent driving skills and nowadays very smart in the cockpit. That simply can't be argued.

BUT.. he is also a media star, and this is what most Hamilton's haters will use as supporting evidence. He is a driver. His life outside the track should be fairly irrelevant, and should not be judged for this.

I personally hate him. Can't help... since all the McLaren-Alonso thing happened... but you will never hear me say a bad word about him... he is a proper driver.

• Like 3