Speed series guidance (novice)

Peteroconnor

Hi all,

after lots of Karting and a few car rounds in production bmw’s as a first stab into car racing, I am looking to join the Westfield club and compete in the speed series championship in 2020.. so I am looking to buy a car in the next couple of months.

i want the car to be road legal and drive it to and from the tracks, I know this means braving the British weather and limits me spares, tools wise. But I am up for the challenge..and I am also space and trailer limited.

I have been reading the various forum posts and looking at the classifieds to get a feel for the cars, specs, setups etc.. with the new regs splitting the engine at 1800cc I am after a bit of guidance on which class would be best to start off in and recommendations on which would be competitive in other sprints I might do not with wscc!

for example I have seen the 2.1 zetec for sale (250bhp) with a sequential box and a 1600 k series for sale on the forum. Both look good cars  but it is hard to tell how competitive they would be in the new regulations. 

my budget is around £10k and based in Bristol in case that helps

thank you in advance for any support and guidance.

pete 

8 hours ago, Peteroconnor said:

have seen the 2.1 zetec for sale (250bhp) with a sequential box and a 1600 k series for sale on the forum. Both look good cars  but it is hard to tell how competitive they would be in the new regulations. 

I think either would be competitive - Simon’s has a proven track record of winning the novice championship, so a car with a good pedigree!

But you need to check the regs with regards to the sequential box. That might put you in the class that will also allow non road going tyres, thus if you are driving to the rounds you’d be at a disadvantage perhaps?

Just a thought - not checked the regs myself. 

The Zetec has ZZR tyres which you can't run in W1 or W2 so you would need to get some 1B tyres for it if driving to events

1 minute ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

The Zetec has ZZR tyres which you can't run in W1 or W2 so you would need to get some 1B tyres for it if driving to events

Would it also need seats for W2 Terry?

Looks like a car that would do well in that class - will certainly leave me behind (which to be fair is not difficult 😄)

All W1 and W2 ROAD cars need 2 seats but not W3 or W4

1 hour ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

ROAD cars need 2 seats

You know what they ask next....

When is a seat not a seat?