Bikes

jeff oakley

Hi All,

After waiting until I got to 61 I finally passed my bike test on Friday with just two minors which was a good result as the weather was more akin to having an ark rather than a bike. 

Anyway now is the time to start choosing a bike. This is just for fun not commuting or likely to be a tourer for huge distances. I am quite drawn to the new Royal Enfield which seems to be getting great reviews but have little experience so what are the thoughts of the bikers on here. Really want ABS as daughter is a Dr in A&E ITU so see's a fair amount of bikers at the worst moment. 

Not stuck on new and not desperate

Thanks in advance

Congrats on passing the test.

Do you have a CC restriction on your license?

Chain drive, belt drive or shaft drive?

What's the budget?

2 minutes ago, Blatman said:

Congrats on passing the test.

Do you have a CC restriction on your license?

Chain drive, belt drive or shaft drive?

What's the budget?

Thanks Blatters, it was a very interesting thing to do from CBT to theory test, Mod1 and Mod 2 but had good trainers so all went smoothly.

No restriction direct access so pretty much anything, but not a Harley fan. Budget wise £5k but will pay more. 

Not too worried on the drive as I will do all maintenance outside warranties.

5k and something "comfortable" given that I would describe the RE as a "sit-up-and-beg" type bike.

I'd look at BMW F800, Triumph Tiger, Kwacker Z800, Yamaha MT07, but really there are soooo many to choose from at your price point. BUT quite a lot of them won't have ABS. Go to autotrader.co.uk/bikes and put 5k in as a max price and have a browse. I put in a minimum 500cc bike with a max 5k price and there were more than 4000 hits...

I've been riding BMW's since 1986. All of them have had ABS and only once has it saved me from dropping it. Every other crash I have had as been unavoidable, ABS or not. Not trying to put you off but there is a slightly harsh reality to face when you're out there on two wheels. Being a Westfield drive will have sharpened you up to car drivers not seeing you or expecting you to be so close so fast. Double this when you're on two wheels because there is no such thing as a soft landing, even at walking pace...

58 minutes ago, Blatman said:

there is no such thing as a soft landing, even at walking pace...

Yes - ask my patella tendon about that 😔

In the sit up and beg middleweight category I’d look at the Suzuki SV 65O and the Kawasaki ER 6-n both really nice bikes. 

Congratulations! 

I've been a biker since I was 13 which is about 129 years now... If I was buying one it would be a tourer, probably a BMW. 

I have to just put this out there... 

Expensive gear won't save your life.  Keep your speed to the speed limit, ride defensively, don't let peer pressure make you act like an idiot.  

Speed kills. 

Have an awesome time.. Go to Europe, ride the south of France... Amaziballs. 

Would advice on the royal enfield. The weak single cylinder (the bullet electra). Fuel injected, ABS, dead slow, very comfortable and made me smile each time I've ridden one. 

As a first bike it's dead easy YET fun. And fun at slow speeds. The grin factor was huge for me.It's LIGHT. A test ride will confirm if it's your marmite, or not. 

To me it's the most sensational motorcycle this side of a Harley, and it triggers a smile before trigerring a speed camera.

3 hours ago, nice_guy said:

Would advice on the royal enfield. The weak single cylinder (the bullet electra). Fuel injected, ABS, dead slow, very comfortable and made me smile each time I've ridden one. 

As a first bike it's dead easy YET fun. And fun at slow speeds. The grin factor was huge for me.It's LIGHT. A test ride will confirm if it's your marmite, or not. 

To me it's the most sensational motorcycle this side of a Harley, and it triggers a smile before trigerring a speed camera.

The one I am looking towards is the 650cc interceptor which is the new twin with a frame designed by Harris who RE bought sometime ago. It is still built in India but much of the design is in the UK.

Suzuki 1250 bandit with Abs .change the handle bars to renthals.Mines a 2009 model like riding in an armchair . I’m 54  and sometimes me and my son swap bikes on rides ,his is a Gsxr and I can’t move for 3days after ,

The RE Interceptor is a great bike, I am sure. Not ridden it, but all of the magazines have been universally positive. 

Only advice I would add is get a real cheap bike for 6 months. You will drop it in that period. No slight on you, we all do it, and you cannot mitigate against missing your footing at a junction, over balancing whilst wheeling it around the garage etc. 

My advice, buy something 400/600cc for less than a grand now, sell it for the same (with some added scratches) in the spring, and then buy the RE. 

Congratulations on the test pass, hope you have much fun. I have done 20k a year on two wheels for 20 years now, still love it as much as ever. 

Martin.