New car "agressive sales" strategy. Is this normal?

maurici

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

When I bought our X3 2 years ago I actually had to sign papers saying I didn't want gap insurance, paint coating, alloy wheel insurance etc. That was after they'd tried to sell it all to me at least twice. Doesn't sound as aggressive as your experience but I did find it a bit strange

No doubt dodgy sales people in the 80's brought it about, but you can blame FCA legislation for half of that paperwork.  Dealerships have to offer everyone finance & GAP insurance now, no if's or buts.

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

When I bought our X3 2 years ago I actually had to sign papers saying I didn't want gap insurance, paint coating, alloy wheel insurance etc. That was after they'd tried to sell it all to me at least twice. Doesn't sound as aggressive as your experience but I did find it a bit strange

Yes, I had that as well a couple of years ago. But so much is stacked against the Dealers I wasn't surprised. 

It does sound like your really getting the hard sell @maurici thing that is just the actual dealer you have got. My experience was fine, just had to say no, once and that was that. But as has been explained some of them are just hard sell due to the way things are. Don;t let it put you off. Totally ignore this attitude and buy the car, threaten to walk or ignore their questions, in a polite way. After all it's the car you want, another 30 mins of ignoring the idiot and just buying the car and all is over.

Definitely not normal and definitely not acceptable.  Restate your position from the start on Tuesday and that if at any point he brings up anything except putting the keys in your hands, you’re walking out - and don’t be afraid to do it (I have and was glad I did.).  Bear in mind if that ethos is promoted throughout the dealership by the owners, you have every right to be sceptical about how the service department may treat you when you need them.

Most certainly not normal, for me converting the bolt on products was where I earned significantly more bonus and the dealership made more from the deal. As said above, maybe that car has a low profit margin and the Sales Manager is trying make the sale more viable.

If I had customers turning down my products, I would offer once more and if I was rebuffed again I would let them sign the forms stating they had been offered all relevant products.

Ex car sales exec :black-westy:

I bought a used car from a well known group a few weeks ago, and also one from a main dealer of the marque some years earlier - each being for cash, and both tried to sell add-ons but accepted a firm but polite refusal from me. The earlier deal did not require signatures to acknowledge the offers, but the recent one did. 

And.. surprise surprise... car wont be ready tomorrow as promised, as they have been unable to perform the required checks.

I discard the car having any fault... was quite spot on. Needed service, and check the front brakes as making a hard stop at quite illegal spds had some vibration. Probably only a bit of surface rust due being sat for a while.

I just think they rather take paid for job than the actual delivery of a car they think is sold regardless.

They knew that my last collection day is wednesday as I'm going away on friday and I can't collect it on thursday. If they come with another delay, Ill have to request my deposit back.

b*****k*! For once that i find a car i like... 🤣

Next time i will buy from the dodgy place down the road.😅

Bet it would have been ready if you'd taken the finance & gap, wheel, paint, interior and all the other insurances. :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Bet it would have been ready if you'd taken the finance & gap, wheel, paint, interior and all the other insurances. :d

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Funnily enough, you could be costing them money by having the car....

If you end up walking away, and someone else buys it, they may take all the add ons....

Do you need the car for your holiday? If not, p*ss them off by happily picking it up in a week or twos time on your return lol...

Mart.

Ford dealer tried something similar with my GF, finance she didn't want, paint protection, extended warranty, it's a good job I was there.... She was nearly convinced by the extended warranty until I pointed out that it doesn't cover anything that's ever likely to go wrong.
Salesman did not like me at all and I did not like him, in the end we got the car at the displayed price with no extra junk added on top.

Well. I have the car. And havent been bothered more with extras this time. Happy days!!

• Like 8