Le Mans 2020

shrops-paul

Hi. Has anyone got any advice or suggestions on going to Le Mans next year? A friend has decided (just) that he would like his stag weekend there. I was concerned it’s a little late to be booking it, and shocked at the £225 basic camping and ferry tickets. Yikes!  

thanks. 

Have been with Speed Chills a couple of times, on their private camping pitch. Was more than £225 but worth it, for security, meal deals, private showers and beer marquee!

Unfortunately they have been taken over by Travel Destinations, so not sure the same 'private' camping is now being offered.

Andy

Buy camping and general entry tickets when you get there. Last time I did this it was less than €100 per person, BUT that was a while ago now.

There are LOADS of websites covering travel to and staying at Le Mans for the week of the race.

How many days do you plan to be there for and what will be the method of travel? I'm trying to calibrate what you might want to pack. Having done the trip about 9 times in the Westfield and once in a tin-top I might be able to lend some experience to the discussion...

Le Mans itself is a very specific destination, but there's lots of ways of doing it. I'd say firstly it needs to be decided what the goal is and who's going, versus their interest level in speculating at a huge 24 hour race. 

If all petrol heads keen to watch the racing and explore, then camping light and close to the track works well.

But if you've got people going that aren't so interested in the race, more the get-together, then you might be better going for somewhere away from the track a little, where they can just chill and have a drink without the full circus of the race going on around them.

I couldn’t see anywhere on the website where you can buy the general admission ticket alone.  It all seemed to be ticket and accommodation packages. I like he idea of a private camping area. I won’t be going in he westie, probably a tin top trip.

previously friends have been with Thomas cook who had a pre pitched tent and private area deal but clearly that’s no good now. I’ll keep looking online. We’re all in 40’s so watching the race and atmosphere plus somewhere decent to camp is priority. Not all night disco. 

• Like 1

I took at look at the speed chills web page, looks like travel destinations offer private camping at Porsche curves. This is a lot bigger site to Blu Sud where we have been twice, but in a tin-top should be fine.

Like i said before, the prices are for the 'package', so ferry, entry pass, showers etc. Think we were nearer the £600 each.

https://lemansrace.com/accommodation/travel-destinations-at-porsche-curves/

Andy

Porsche Curves is a nice spot. A couple of times it was bought by a German company for their guests. Maybe don't restrict your sreach to UK travel companies ;) 

I've camped in Beaujesoir a handful of times. It's MASSIVE so there is plenty of room, and there (was) a free shuttle to the circuit.

Camped in Bleu Sud a few times too and it's no better or worse than anywhere else. Bleu Sud had an English burger van a few times and the food was pretty good, as was the coffee and the bants... :d

I’ve been going since 2000, I buy general entry tickets and camping from either just tickets or 1st for tickets and book the ferry direct, we camp on Houx and ask for unallocated tickets which means you can pitch where there is a spot. We travel from Portsmouth to either Le Havre or Caen on the Wednesday before and return Monday Evening, let me know if you need any more info