towing car... This difficult topic again

maurici

7 hours ago, maurici said:

Hot V twin turbos... the worst engine bmw has EVER done :(. I do like the car... A LOT!!! And is just perfect,  but,  reading everywhere apparently you wouldn't sell this engine not even to your worst enemy. A total shame. 

I think that was the next gen 5 series? This is one of the E61 models so N/A? Unless there's an Alpina B5 touring rocking around anywhere with the supercharger, that would have many amounts of cool!

3 minutes ago, Dommo said:

I think that was the next gen 5 series? This is one of the E61 models so N/A? Unless there's an Alpina B5 touring rocking around anywhere with the supercharger, that would have many amounts of cool!

AYE. YOu are right. Yesterday was too late and missreaded the car...

Then, it actually looks like a tidy purchase.

Loads of electric toys to break down, witch would be annoying, and potentially expensive to repair... but... good. Is a cool car and I like it a lot.

Wonder if this could tow? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-Nissan-Stagea-AutoTec-260RS-RB26DET-Twin-Turbo-Manual/254323280627?hash=item3b36d94af3:g:c94AAOSwLApdnryR

On a serious note, Would a Volvo v60 or V90 T5 estate be fun enough/have enough power at 250bhp?

@DanDud T5 have allways been in my shortlist of future cheappo bits... but I would rather have it in a mondeo, as you get "about the same" for half the price.

in a different note... going to check that one tomorrow:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907260482169?fuel-type=Petrol&body-type=Estate&make=BMW&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&maximum-mileage=40000&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=25000&postcode=cw14jx&sort=relevance&page=1

I test driven a 335D yesterday, with open mind and with serious intentions to go for it... but definitely is not my cup of tea. the car was fast (ish) and I have to say that i think as a cruiser is just brilliant, and the 6 cylinder diesel is smooth and doesn't sounds as annoying as the all time known TDIs. Also the ZF steptronic gearbox (that i know very well as we use the same at work) is a work of art, but the power delivery and the lack of thrill kinds of kill the experience when driving on B-Roads...

Surprised nobody has mentioned the XF Sportbrake in here.  Drove lots of them when I used to work for JLR, and they're an awesome car.  They've won towcar of the year loads of times too.  The 3.0 Diesel engine is really well mated to the 8 speed ZF box in them.  If you take one for a spin, make sure you try it in both normal mode and dynamic.  With the Jags, dynamic mode, and the gearbox in sport really changes the car.  Plenty in your price range too and I think you can tick all the other boxes with them.  If you wanted to up your budget, there's always the XFRS Sportbrake (my own dream car!), but you'd be spending quite a bit for one of those!

Edit - I thought they were 300 brake, turns out they were 274 until the newer model in 2016.  Same engine, so could easily be mapped up though I'm sure.

On 09/10/2019 at 15:37, Steve (sdh2903) said:

If your requirements are RWD then S4/s6 are out? If your after a fun (ish) drive then modern audi is prob out anyway.

That just leaves BMW (530/535), Jaguar (XF sportbrake) and Merc (E350)really. Unless the samller 3 series or c class would do? Either way a 300bhp petrol estate is not easy to find, but i guess you already know that;) 

I'd personally go bmw out of that 3, better build quality than the merc and more reliable than the Jag. Something like this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910093130097?make=BMW&sort=relevance&postcode=pa67ed&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&fuel-type=Petrol&body-type=Estate&price-to=20000&price-from=10000&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&model=5 SERIES&page=1

So whats wrong with the R line vw passat estate then?
you can get 300bhp, 4wd, plenty of fun with the paddle gearbox and sport mode. DSG so smooth changes and it pulls like a train

Sorry no such thing as a fun tow car!

When you need to tow rent one.

I have a VW Touareg, best car I have ever owned, tows amazingly well but it’s not fun.

36 minutes ago, Chris Brading said:

Sorry no such thing as a fun tow car!

I think the requirement is a fun car that can tow (a moderate) load rather than a fun tow car.
To tow a light Westfield you won’t need a large car, trouble is a lot of the likely candidates for small fun car (140M, Golf R etc) can’t tow. I’ve gone through the same thought process without success.

for a fun car I’d be looking smaller rather than larger, good luck with the search.

Well. Bought the Beemer.

To be delivered hopefully on tuesday.

340I touring. We've felt in love with each other. :)

• Like 4

On 11/10/2019 at 17:56, Ian Tolfree (tolf) - WSCC AO Rep said:

So whats wrong with the R line vw passat estate then?
you can get 300bhp, 4wd, plenty of fun with the paddle gearbox and sport mode. DSG so smooth changes and it pulls like a train

I have one of these in saloon version as my company car and I’ve got to say it’s brilliant, I have never kept a car for so long, I used to have a 2017 rangerover autobiography for towing but sold it and bought a f90 m5 competition so fitted a tow bar to the Passat, it tows my brian james shuttle with my Westfield in it just as well as the Range Rover did and is a lovely comfortable car. It is a diesel though but I do believe diesels have benefits for towing

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 15:27, maurici said:

Well. Bought the Beemer.

To be delivered hopefully on tuesday.

340I touring. We've felt in love with each other. :)

It's a nice car, 👍👍

1 hour ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

It's a nice car, 👍👍

Lucky you... you was in it even before my GF!!

• Haha 1