towing car... This difficult topic again

maurici

2 hours ago, maurici said:

Unfortunately, you can't. I've already checked that, and was in my list. Not type approval for towing.

I do have a terrano now to tow and an MX5 for fun. I don't really need to cars... for ocasional fun I do have the westy, so I'm trying to cut in expenses and worries... and buy something modern That I LIKE...

I'm only towing a 900Kg setup, including car and trailer, and because I don't want a diesel anymore. I've driven diesel enough, and they are utter excrement. Sountrack is terrible, they run out of fun really early... 

I've owned a 240hp diesel in the past, and... no thanks.

Everyone is free to choose, but not my cup of tea.

I do 10k miles a year, so fuel economy is not a factor.

My towing rig is very very very light.

I only tow 6/7 times a year. so... the car needs to be capable of towing, but not specifically a tow truck.

It can't be a car that i could hate anymore than this one unfortunately :(... 

Seriously mate? 🤣🤣

@Ian Tolfree (tolf) - WSCC AO Rep you mean a passat? yea, I would go for an Octavia state in that case, but I don't particularly love them...

Yea passat

If your requirements are RWD then S4/s6 are out? If your after a fun (ish) drive then modern audi is prob out anyway.

That just leaves BMW (530/535), Jaguar (XF sportbrake) and Merc (E350)really. Unless the samller 3 series or c class would do? Either way a 300bhp petrol estate is not easy to find, but i guess you already know that;) 

I'd personally go bmw out of that 3, better build quality than the merc and more reliable than the Jag. Something like this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910093130097?make=BMW&sort=relevance&postcode=pa67ed&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&fuel-type=Petrol&body-type=Estate&price-to=20000&price-from=10000&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&model=5 SERIES&page=1

Oh, just over brake less then, hardly any of the rules apply. Still think a good turbo diesel the answer, 4wd if possible just get out and try a few. Must admit i'd hate to tow anything with a Polo😲

2 hours ago, Dommo said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910042948003

What could possibly go wrong? It's even got a tow bar, and far enough under budget to put some petrol in. Interior isn't up to much mind.

Hot V twin turbos... the worst engine bmw has EVER done :(. I do like the car... A LOT!!! And is just perfect,  but,  reading everywhere apparently you wouldn't sell this engine not even to your worst enemy. A total shame. 

8 hours ago, stephenh said:

Are you definitely not considering a turbo diesel? Shame, otherwise a Skoda Octavia vrs would fit the bill. And they are mega reliable.

Definitely,  TDI are out of the picture. 

@Nick - Joint North East AO ohhh. That 535 estate looks to good to be true... :)

it says its been damaged tho....

but yes,  that would be one of the most sensible choices. 

@Luke i love the lexus... but it cant tow :(.

@Steve (sdh2903) long day at the officce?? 

Most of the options are stuff i do contemplate.

I actually think that a 335 would be just enough to be fair. It is a bit difficult to find nice petrol ones tho...

And yes, I would accept a 4WD in case of an audi S something... those are cars i know well enough, and i can run them cheap and make them reliable and long lasting. Not my main choice but definitely something that will fit the bill nicely.

If it's still running try a search for the results of the "Tow Car of the Year" . Run by the caravan club, should throw up some new choices, and past results might show up some choices for used cars.

Gary