Help Required SeiW New to me part build.

Carl Warren

Good evening chaps 😁

Yesterday i picked up this part built 1996 chassis and a list of parts. All New 

The chassis was built for a Zetec, so ideally i want to go down that road.

Luckily it has a LSD fitted, all body parts unused albeit a few different colours but i plan on having them sprayed eventually.

It came with a gearbox - unfortunate it was a type 9 4x4 ... no ideas on what the chap had planned for that..

Im on the lookout for a type 9 gearbox...and a Zetec 2.0 Blacktop...

My question is .. if i buy a new engine (crated) does that mean when i eventually IVA the car will i get it on a new reg plate rather than a Q plate ?

Thank you.

IMG_6962.JPG

IMG_7111.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl Warren said:

The chassis was built for a Zetec,

I think you’ll find that the “chassis” will suit a variety of engines at this stage. Zetec, Duratec, XE, Crossflow, Pinto, 4age, K-series etc. 

What it might not suit is an S2000 Honda, an Ecoboost or a bike engine - as they tend to use the “mega” chassis designation. 

But by all means go for a Zetec (I did) - just don’t think that the chassis will limit your choices 👍

Oh... and welcome to the club!

A for your “Q plate” question - it kind of works on a points system. 

So to get a new plate you have to show that all parts are brand new (with receipts) except for ONE major component (like the engine or gearbox - not both) that can be “refurbished to as new standard”. 

You can get an “age related” plate if you have “major” components from a single donor vehicle (along with the donor vehicle id) - so engine and gearbox, or transmission and engine for example. That’s how many Single Donor Vehicle builds end up with a “P” or “S” reg (again - for example)

If you can’t do either of the above, you get a Q. 

But - in the world of kit cars, a Q is not only acceptable, but often desirable due to the advantages that a Q can give a car come MOT time. Plus - those of us that have kit cars and buy them really do not give a flying fart what letter you have on your reg plate! We buy on condition, build quality and component specification above all other considerations.  

Hope this helps!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I think you’ll find that the “chassis” will suit a variety of engines at this stage. Zetec, Duratec, XE, Crossflow, Pinto, 4age, K-series etc. 

What it might not suit is an S2000 Honda, an Ecoboost or a bike engine - as they tend to use the “mega” chassis designation. 

But by all means go for a Zetec (I did) - just don’t think that the chassis will limit your choices 👍

Oh... and welcome to the club!

Thank you for the reply 👍

Ok, so what i should of said is it came with a  manifold & exhaust, ECU, and the wiring loom and engine mounts for a zetec. 

Ive seen a few used Zetec's on ebay, but unsure what id need paper wise from the seller for the IVA ?

Welcome from sunny Scotland, that’s a good starting point

as Chris said if you realise that a Q isn’t bad then you can happily go for a used engine if from a breakers then get them to give you an engine description including age on headed paper ( I did this on my first build with a Mazda engine)

sorry I don’t know for sure but seem to recall ford engines can be dated ( someone will advise)

start a build thread as there is a lot of help on here and good luck with your build 

14 hours ago, Carl Warren said:

Thank you for the reply 👍

Ok, so what i should of said is it came with a  manifold & exhaust, ECU, and the wiring loom and engine mounts for a zetec. 

Ive seen a few used Zetec's on ebay, but unsure what id need paper wise from the seller for the IVA ?

Ah that’s different then 😁

For IVA you don’t need anything from the seller. The only IVA considerations will emissions and I think they ask for bhp. 

Emissions will be based on the age of the engine. So for a Zetec you can determine this by referencing the engine number to the Burton Catalogue (which is accepted by IVA!). The bhp is usually started as whatever Mr Ford said it is - ie the manufacturer spec for the year of engine. 

so just make sure it has proper engine numbers and you are good 👍

On 04/10/2019 at 21:33, Carl Warren said:

It came with a gearbox - unfortunate it was a type 9 4x4 ... no ideas on what the chap had planned for that..

I've never see it discussed for a Westfield but I know someone trying to build a 4x4 MEV but it's very custom.

I too used the Burton chart with another similar found on-line, just photo record it for application and send it together with proof of age.

Important thing is to show your build from as early as possible to show that you built it yourself, doesn't matter if someone else started it you check and retrace build which is good enough, photo, photo, photo.

Mine came back age related, although I was happy with a Q even without having vehicle log book due to it being scrapped, but had to send photos of

13 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Ah that’s different then 😁

For IVA you don’t need anything from the seller. The only IVA considerations will emissions and I think they ask for bhp. 

Emissions will be based on the age of the engine. So for a Zetec you can determine this by referencing the engine number to the Burton Catalogue (which is accepted by IVA!). The bhp is usually started as whatever Mr Ford said it is - ie the manufacturer spec for the year of engine. 

so just make sure it has proper engine numbers and you are good 👍

all the serial numbers/id from major components.

Welcome!

It sound like others above have clarified, that it's not so bad to have a Q Plate etc.

Normally to obtain an New plate you need a certificated of newness for the chassis and kit from the factory, given how long ago the items were purchased, even if you produced one, I can only think the DVLA would give it a plate to reflect the age of the kit and not the date you register it etc.

Enjoy your build.

Oi! Stop editing my posts 😁 (ck)

2 hours ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

Normally to obtain an age related plate you need a certificated of newness for the chassis and kit from the factory

Actually that’s for a new plate. 

To get an “age related” plate you need proof of the donor vehicle used (usually a Sierra or Mazda for an SDV build)

Well spotted @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO, I meant to type New! I'll correct my post above, but your good advice will still be useful.

• 2 weeks later...

You’ll need to check the trans tunnel width if you’re  fitting anything but a type 9 gearbox new gearboxes are somewhat wider than the old school Fords’.